Note to New Members ×

New to snowboarding…maybe some of you guys can help me with some questions:

zland

3. The Wave - Rave snowboard shop in Mammoth claims they have a binding that can adapt to my ski boot & snowboards that are "more carving oriented" I can rent. This is not of course a perfect alpine board set up but maybe it will give me a taste of if I like it?

4. The ski shop at the main lodge in Mammoth claims I should demo a carving board (Arbor A Frame) with a ridgid soft boot set up (Flux feedback) and rdidget bindings (Burton Ion) they have to get an idea of what a good carving soft boot snowboard set up feels like.

Wave Rave has a few really old Burtons way in the back somewhere. Most of them are shorter and in fairly bad shape, but it might work for you for a rental. I don't think they have bindings though, but you should be able to pick up a cheap pair of TD1s or Burton plates from the classifieds here, and even resell them for the same price if it doesn't work out.

Careful with what you rent out of the Main Lodge. Most of them don't know what they are doing there and will probably set you up with a duck stance.

Concur with Nekdut. Two years ago I broke a burton toe bail in Mammoth and went looking for a replacement. Nobody had one, Wave Rave included, and they were clearly not supporting carving when I went in to have a look (most recently last season). So, I'm not sure I'd trust the bindings that they can find.

A stiff softie setup is just that. Yes, you can carve on it, but IMHO it's a different skill and technique than hardboot carving. I've never been on a softie board that would lock into the lazer-beam carve of a hard boot board. Softies can still be fun, but it's just a different kind of riding altogether.

I have a Prior ATV 171 all-mountain board you can test the waters with. I don't have any trips planned until the end of this month so you're welcome to try it out. I live on Santa Ana so it's just up the 5 to the 405.

Based on what you guys said, maybe step #1 should be trying out Loc's set up?

Sean Cassidy usually does a 3 day spring session at Mammoth, through www.snowperformance.com

That would be a great way to

1. get good instruction.

2. try out different equipment

3. have fun!!!!!

Jen

Thanks for lead. I checked, they holding a Mammoth Mountain carve session

May15th 16th 17th 2009 & it cost $500 for 3 days instruction. My hope is by then I will be on the slopes with some of my own equipment. Maybe by then a lesson would be worth the money having gotten over the basics...

Sean Cassidy usually does a 3 day spring session at Mammoth, through www.snowperformance.com

That would be a great way to

1. get good instruction.

2. try out different equipment

3. have fun!!!!!

Jen

I wish that session was earlier in the season. Improving my skills that much at the season's end would make me sad and super anxious for the next year.

I wish that session was earlier in the season. Improving my skills that much at the season's end would make me sad and super anxious for the next year.

You could probably ride another 30 days at Mammoth after the camp. They usually close mid June. :1luvu:

rather than later from a qualified instructor.

Your ski skills and obvious athleticism will probably make learning easier for you than most seekers.

But if you can get yourself, even briefly, in an appropriate carving set-up with boots that really FIT, and then take a lesson from a trained instructor who skis and boards, you'll probably make huge progress in just a day.

At that point, you'll know if you really like this madness, and what kind of performance you should shoot for in your purchases.

My .02

cheers!