Note to New Members ×

which binding for metal topsheet?

caspercarver

Gleb, you changed your avatar? I loved the Fluff!

LOL! The fluff one was put up trailertrash when he saw or heard about my fluff sandwiches. No clue whose idea it was for this one, but I guess its "open season," according to Polaris here. I do miss the fluff one too. Maybe I'll make that my next board's topsheet.

...don't under any circumstances mount your old school non-resilient bindings directly to your metal board. Bruce Varsava only recommends using F2 bindings directly mounted on his metal boards (and that is without the metal exposed because it is buried under a layer of fiberglass and the top sheet). Bruce also has very little confidence in plastic shield plates but many others have cited these as a reasonable alternative (I have been using Catek plastic shields with Catek Olympic step-ins on one of my metal boards).

oh well, for now i think i will use the lexan and the ibex. the ibex are certainly more flexable/forgiving. the ibex work great on the Swoard but never have tried them on the metal. i read a lot of the old threads on metals lately. i was certainly remiss in not doing my homework before i invested so much $$$. live and learn and work ALOT more overtime. cheers!

I rode a metal topsheet first-gen Prior WCR with TD2s and nothing in between for 2 seasons without a problem. TD3 (especially with soft/yellow e-ring) should be even gentler on the board. I generally don't break boards or bindings though, so I'm not riding in an excessively binding-torquing way.

Bruce Varsava only recommends using F2 bindings directly mounted on his metal boards (and that is without the metal exposed because it is buried under a layer of fiberglass and the top sheet).

Does he still say that? Bruce watched me mount TD2s to my new board and didn't say anything. Hasn't been a problem either.

...don't under any circumstances mount your old school non-resilient bindings directly to your metal board. Bruce Varsava only recommends using F2 bindings directly mounted on his metal boards (and that is without the metal exposed because it is buried under a layer of fiberglass and the top sheet). Bruce also has very little confidence in plastic shield plates but many others have cited these as a reasonable alternative (I have been using Catek plastic shields with Catek Olympic step-ins on one of my metal boards).

My young apprentice, you must pay attention when in class. No concerns have arisen with TD2 or plexi plated Cateks. F2s , TD2s or 3s can be mounted direct.

I have seen one of mine and a few others break right at the end of the plexi plates. Been home made versions I must add.

Still have to agree that softer is more compatible though and if taken near the materials limit, I would rather have a softer model to match the softer flexing boards.

BV

• 2 weeks later...
I rode a metal topsheet first-gen Prior WCR with TD2s and nothing in between for 2 seasons without a problem. TD3 (especially with soft/yellow e-ring) should be even gentler on the board. I generally don't break boards or bindings though, so I'm not riding in an excessively binding-torquing way.

And still none :biggthump. I have it with OS2 with D3 elastomers.

Millen