Note to New Members ×

2009 WCR metal review

BadBrad

I got to ride my new 2009 Prior WCR metal 173 last week. I actually had a number of changes in binding and stance setup from my usual, so it was hard to compare directly to other boards, but the bottom line is that I like this board a lot. I've ridden Burton race plates for probably 15 years, with just a tiny bit of front toe lift and rear heel lift and narrow 16-17" stance widths. I got a used set of TD2 step-ins and put them on the WCR, and set them up with 3 degrees front and 3 degrees rear, mostly toe/heel lift but just a slight bit of inward canting as well, and a 19.3" stance width.

I started off riding my Prior 4WD 164, with Burton plates. On this board I have the rear 7 degree cant which I seem to need with the more relaxed stance angles I get on this wider board. I felt comfortable on it and was making some nice tight slalom-like turns on some pretty icy stuff. Then I switched to the WCR. I was afraid that the bindings would be too stiff for my liking or that the setup would not feel comfortable, but I was immediately comfortable on this board. It initiates and releases turns easily, holds a great edge in the icy stuff, and just instilled a lot of confidence in any conditions I encountered, especially the icy stuff. This is the longest board I've owned, and I was afraid that the longer length and bigger sidecut would make it difficult to carve tight turns, but I found that I could make some nice tight turns and adding pressure to the nose would further tighten turns as needed.

I then switched to my Madd 158, which I've always loved, because the slopes started getting crowded. I figured it would be the best choice for the crowded and icy conditions, but I felt significantly less comfortable and confident on it than on the WCR. I was trying a wider stance width than usual, so that may have been part of it, but I just didn't feel as balanced on this board and it gave me less confidence in the icy stuff, which really surprised me since I always felt that edge hold on ice was one of its strengths.

So, overall I love the new WCR metal and I think my other boards will get little use from now on. It just seems to do everything so well. If I ever get to ride in powder (which almost never happens) or I was going to ride in the bumps or trees (which I usually avoid) I would choose the 4WD, but otherwise the WCR would be my choice for pretty much any conditions. However, I still need to try the new TD2 setup on the Madd 158 to better compare it with the WCR.

As a side note, I demo'd an 07/08 WCR metal 173 at SES08 and thought it felt kind of dead and unresponsive. Perhaps it was that particular board or the softer snow conditions or the fact that I had just demo'd a Donek FCII 167. But I won the raffle for the Prior, and others convinced me that I'd love the metal WCR once I got used to it, and I already had the 4WD, so I decided to get the '09 WCR metal. I'm really glad I did.

Hey Brad,

I absolutly loved my 2008, and took Chris Prior up on the 2009 deal.

All I need to say is :1luvu:

The one comment I would make is to try longer than your used to. These boards can turn much shorter radias turns than traditional boards of similar length and sidecut. I ride the 187, at 175 lbs, 6' and shrinking.

Enjoy!!!

Hey Brad,

The one comment I would make is to try longer than your used to. These boards can turn much shorter radias turns than traditional boards of similar length and sidecut.

The 173 is quite a bit longer than I'm used to. I rode a 156 UP and 156 Alp until last season. I almost got the WCR metal in a 169 since I like shorter turnier boards, but based on similar comments to yours got the 173. I also figured the longer board would nicely round out the quiver. I am 5'7" and weight varies between 150 & 160.

standard.jpg

Brad, I have an idea on how to improve the ride on both the Madd and the WCR. Switch bindings! Put the TD2s on the Madd and Race Plates on the WCR. Why? The Madd is narrower and will generally require higher angles. The TD2s are quite stiff laterally and this will give more response at higher angles. The race plates have quite a bit of lateral flex and this can be helpful at lower angles, as edge changing happens more heel/toe rather than side/side.

I have some F2s and some TD2s and I essentially do the same, put the F2s on wider boards and TD2s on skinnier boards.

Brad, I have an idea on how to improve the ride on both the Madd and the WCR. Switch bindings! Put the TD2s on the Madd and Race Plates on the WCR. Why? The Madd is narrower and will generally require higher angles. The TD2s are quite stiff laterally and this will give more response at higher angles. The race plates have quite a bit of lateral flex and this can be helpful at lower angles, as edge changing happens more heel/toe rather than side/side.

I have some F2s and some TD2s and I essentially do the same, put the F2s on wider boards and TD2s on skinnier boards.

Thanks, I'll try that. There actually isn't much difference in the stance angles, though. The Madd is at 63/60 and the WCR is at 60/57. I did order a TD3 second board kit to get the extra suspension and to allow me to run the TD2s on both boards. I'm also going to experiment with a 6 degree rear cant to see if the 3/6 combo works better for me than the 3/3 combo.

Thanks for the input. I have been on the fence between purchasing the WCR or the Schtubby. Its been difficult getting feedback on the WCR. So this was great reading your post. Where do you mostly ride? Enjoy the new stick. :biggthump

The riding last week was done at Wisp, in western MD. Conditions were not too bad overall, but quite icy in some places. My local ski areas are Whitetail or Roundtop.