Note to New Members ×

Bachelor 2009 reports

Mike T

GREAT day at Bachelor today. I was riding with my daughter, so did the softboot thing since riding switch is helpful for getting her across flats... but you could see shadows for the 1st time in a week and the snow was cold and soft.

Hoping it does not snow tonite as I am itchin' to carve in the AM. Get there early or wait in line! Actually Outback's line wasn't so bad.

Scubaree, sounds like a chance to try out your new board?

Mike, I have the "Carving" hook in Scubaree, however it is not "SET". If he gets to make a few runs with you and other Bachelor locals it will be "SET HARD". I think Dan is headed down too. I am hoping for good weather for the PDX Travelers.

Have fun!! Bryan

I will be in Bend this weekend, but not to ride -- just a belated X-mas visit to my wife's family (didn't want to face the drive over the x-mas holidays). We'll probably be leaving early on Sunday to hit Meadows on the way back home. :)

You mean you won't be there? What the hell man!!!!

Isn't your throat feeling a little scratchy? Yeah.....I think you might need to take a sick day on Friday.

Well, as long as I can ride with the Tree Ninja, Don and Etsu I guess I will be okay. :1luvu:I am a little rusty though, so you all might need to ride a little slow for me. This will be my 1st day back since OES!!! I can't wait to see everyone,

Quentin

Sounds like a lot of trees are down.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services/snow_report/conditions.html

"Comments: 7:20 am Update #2 Rainbow will open after clearing the tree that fell on her line last night.

The last couple of days have sure been something up here! The storm first coated us in ice and then blew down hundreds of trees. We are sending out crews early this morning to clear all the debris on the east-side and plan to get those lifts running this morning, albeit, a little later than usual at 10 am! The consequences of the storm on the west-side are more significant. Crews will be heading west late this morning to get more of the resort cleared and ready for Friday.

If you plan to ski Thursday please STAY ON THE TRAILS. There are hanging branches and debris that you would not want to meet up with.

It is snowing this morning. Temps are expected to drop and winds will stay brisk through mid-day. Conditions should steadily improve heading towards the weekend, but we have a significant logging job on the west side of the ski area in front of us. Take a peek at this week's weather at NWS Forecast. After we get through this storm we'll be in the clear for a while."

Scubaree, all should be well with Bachelor by Sunday, I'd be surprised if all the Express chairs plus Rainbow are not running by then. (Or at least very disappointed in Bachelor... they've been doing better than last year so far, fingers crossed!)

I'll be parking in Sunrise, probably on a carving board, might be on the easier runs with my 6 year old though. Click through the OES link and then the Disclaimer link on that page for my cell number :)

ok thanks. I'm in town know hope to catch up with you on sunday

Email Sent, Dan (PDX) and his wife are going to be in Bend / Mt Bachelor too.

Abel's number sent via PM>

Have fun!! I would love to see some photos of the "Good Times".

Hook up with the "Carving Brothers and Sisters" and they will get you HOOKED on Alpine!! :biggthump

Message from the GM - The recent ice storm that brought 48 hours of rain in below freezing temperatures had a minimal impact on the east side of the ski area. It is skiing well. That is not the case from Pine Marten and to the west. So far we have documented a lift tower lifting arm that was bent by the weight, many chairs that have had the safety bars ripped off, broken communication lines, hundreds of downed trees, and many other challenges that continue to present themselves associated with the ice storm. We are actively working to address all of these issues, while keeping safety at the forefront. The aftermath of this storm will impact our operation for the coming days including this weekend. Our best wishes go out to our neighbors to the north in Washington who have seen season-long effects from the recent storm. We appreciate your patience and understanding as all of our mountain crews (and additional crews we have brought in) work tirelessly to overcome and offer additional skiing as soon as safely possible. - Dave Rathbun, GM

Carrousel, Sunrise, Skyliner and Sunshine are all open! Rainbow is opening at 2pm. We are seeing some unbelievable stuff on the westside of the ski area. Blue ice feet thick.

Skiing on the east side of the resort is likely to remain top notch. Be on the lookout for debris when near trees. Either on the snow surface or overhead.

Four additional logging crews are hard at work across the mountain cutting and moving timber. We have also brought in additional resources to clear the parking lots prior to the weekend. Feet of rain soaked snowpack in the lots deemed it neccesary so we called in the cavalry. It has snowed 8" since the rain so surfaces are decent on the slopes. We've got that going for us, which is nice.

Tickets are at regular Daily Rates, we recommend the Flexride Pass for folks who may only take a few runs.

My other half called from the mountain this AM and said lines were from hell. HOPEFULLY they will get Red or PMX going tomorrow otherwise it's gonna suck. I have to be at the hill till 3pm as my daughter is in Mitey Mites... Look for me on Rainbow.

Weird mix of ice, crust, and slush... anyone skidding was making the scraping sound of death, if you carved in the shady spots you were OK till 11am as they stayed firm, but in the sunny spots, get on edge and you broke through the crust. I made it a real short day.

Riding next on Thursday barring weather change...

Weird mix of ice, crust, and slush... anyone skidding was making the scraping sound of death, if you carved in the shady spots you were OK till 11am as they stayed firm, but in the sunny spots, get on edge and you broke through the crust. I made it a real short day.

Riding next on Thursday barring weather change...

Bummer Mike, that was today?

I heard there were like 10 alpine riders up yesterday and the conditions were good? Not so? I was hoping it would be good for some of the PDX Bros down there this weekend.

Thanks, for the update.

Bryan Hope is well with your fam. on the river i will talk to you on Tuesday.

Thanks , yes, the river level stopped well short of forecast :eek: Originally it was forecast to exceed the level of the house. Their forecast can be pretty accurate at that site due to the dam. They can adjust the rate of flow to suit surrounding issues. We were SO fortunate. There was serious flooding above and below our location. :( A close one!!:biggthump

PS, It's hard to tell but this is the top of a ski lift. NW and Outback are same.

The 48 hours freezing rain storm had a significant impact on the highest winter operated resort in the PNW. East side skiing well, west side encased in blue ice that will not be quick to remove. If the lift looks like this - think it's a safe place for guests to cruise around? Nope

post-198-141842269308_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842269309_thumb.jpg

Bummer Mike, that was today?

I heard there were like 10 alpine riders up yesterday and the conditions were good? Not so? I was hoping it would be good for some of the PDX Bros down there this weekend.

Thanks, for the update.

Yesterday was very good, I was there from opening till 3:00. Today, different story... just funky all around. Afternoon might have been decent for slush-surfing, wouldn't know, left at 11.