Note to New Members ×

Mt Shasta Report

trikerdad

Made it up to Shasta for my first day of the season. I arrived in the upper lot at 8:00 AM and was the 3rd vehicle there. The sun was shining and my truck's thermometer read 10 degrees. The snow was really squeaky, whoo hoo! I made the first Marmot chair at 9:00. There were dirt spots and some brush sticking out of the cord but, Challenge didn't look too bad. Looking across at the runs off the Douglas chair, it didn't look good at all, though it was open. I got off the chair, stepped in, and took off down the hill. The snow was really fast so I went down the beginner run to warm up. Great snow! My second run I headed down Challenge and was doing great until I "tuned" my heal side edge on a big rock near the bottom. I thought I'd ripped the edge off the board board from the sound it made! No P-tex damage but it did a pretty good job on the edge and it's going to need quite a bit of work from the nose to my front binding. I made another half dozen runs without finding any more rocks and headed home. They need another 6 inches to make the runs off Marmot safe and at least a foot before I'd try any of the runs off Douglas.

I skipped yesterday (Wednesday) but made it up today. I figured it would be pretty quite Christmas morning and it was. It was 23 degrees, clear but a little windy. I had more trouble with my camel back freezing today than I did when it was 10 degrees on Tuesday. The park received about 12" of snow in the last 24 hours with nothing new on top of the groomed. I took the Marmot chair (they opened about 8:35 and I missed first chair) for a few warm up runs. The grooming was a little rough with a lot of soft spots in the groom. I didn't find any junk in the snow this time but it was pretty soft for the board I was riding. At the apex of some of my turns I was leaving trenches deeper than my board is wide! My knees were leaving grooves in the snow. I changed to a longer, stiffer board and it smoothed things out. It looked like there was good coverage on Highland off the Douglas chair so I ventured over there. The grooming was horrible! They just don't have enough snow yet to fill in all the holes and cat tracks and, I found a big mound of exposed dirt part way down The Saddle. I probably won't go back until Monday or Tuesday unless there'll be another carver to ride with. Robert?

Since I have to take my wife to Medford tomorrow, I decided to go up for a little while this morning. It was 30 degrees and snowing lightly when I arrived in the parking lot. I caught first chair on Marmot at 8:35. The park had received a couple of inches since I was there on Friday but, it still needs at least a foot before I would try the Douglas or Coyote runs. It was overcast with flat light but, once I cut some tracks for definition, it was great. The grooming was smooth and the snow was firm. Hero conditions. I made 7 quick runs, turning harder with each run, until the Sunday crowds started to get in the way. Back to the truck by 10:00 and on my way home.

I arrived in the lot at 8:10 this morning to find the lot already half full. The temp was in the mid 20's with a clear sky. The snow in the lift area was like concrete and I was thinking I should have worn some padding. I caught first chair on Marmot at about 8:30 and rode up with Luty, the 70 something carving skier that is there almost every day. They must have groomed Marmot pretty early, because it had frozen after it was groomed and it was bullet proof and very fast! After a few very fast runs I thought about letting things thaw a little but there were so many people showing up I figured it would be too crowded by the time things softened up. I considered giving the Douglas chair a try thinking the snow might be better but, there is still too much chance of finding some rocks until they get more snow. So, I left earlier than usual and probably won't be back until after Christmas Break is over.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode Sunday, spent the am w/ the high school team, then free rode from about 11 to 2. Actually had a really good time, and cashed in on the hero snow from about 12-2pm on Marmot. Considering how much snow Shasta DOESN'T have, it wasn't too bad. Not icy, not overly sloppy. Uncrowded so you didn't have to dodge people and rocks, just rocks. All considered it was a good day, but won't go back till next storm. (how long do you think they'll stay open at this rate?).

Was fortunate enough to make it to Kirkwood today - had an epic day! Blue bird day, nice (really nice) groom, rode with my son, and met up w/ about 7 hardbooters from the TahoeCarvers clan. Great bunch of people, it was nice to put names with faces. Just makes me realize that what our little hill lacks in quality grooming isn't made up for by it's lack of quality grooming.:freak3:

Oh well, close & cheap. Just need some white stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After 3 days of hard riding here in Aspen, I'm taking a break for a day. Not in the shape I'd hoped to be in. I logged 24 miles yesterday on my gps, half of that was on the lifts but, never the less.... I had a break through day on Sunday and suddenly the steeper the better! I hope Shasta is getting a little snow while I'm here but, if not, I'll be headed for OES at Bachelor in early March.

than what they got last week. I was up on Saturday hoping that the conditions would have benefited from the 12"-18" of fresh, but I was dissappointed. The only runs even close to ridable were Highland Glide and North Saddle. They were both packed with straightlining skiers bombing down both sides and freeriders clogging up the middle. Ashland was great when I was there on the 29th, although they only had 2 runs groomed. Bachelor was good the next day although very crowded and I was pretty worn out from 6 hours the day before at Ashland. I'm hoping to make OES with Dr. Sandman (Dan) but I've gotta work out both of us being gone from the store during that time frame. It should be snowing as I write this on Shasta, we even got a little in Redding earlier tonight. Here's hoping for good storms all week long!!! Have fun Bill and make a run for us.

I love that idea! I was reading another thread here recently about someone taking out a freerider and thought we ought to have silhouettes of freeriders and skiers we can stick on our boards like the flying aces used to do when they made a kill! :eplus2: I won't be able to get up this weekend (Valentines trip) but I will be off the end of the month and plan on going anytime the weather allows. Let's hope this weather sticks around for a week or two!

Great to hear!! You guys have been having a tough snow year by the sound of it. Definitely think about coming up to the OES this year, it would be good to see you all again!!

If you get a chance, take a few snap shots of your runs, I am curious.

Wishing you MORE snow!! Bryan

Ouch!!! What a shame. I have not been up nearly as much as I would in the past. However, hearing your plight, I am feeling pretty fortunate indeed!!

School / job / family are very important. Do what you need to do to secure your future. Carve when you can!! Enjoy ! Bryan

Is your camera one of those you can mount to the helmet?

Look forward to seeing some video.

Robert, when do you think you'll be getting up to Shasta? I got back from SES last night and need a few days to recover. I cracked a rib again, same one, and my back and ankles are sore. One day my GPS logged 44 linear miles counting the lift rides up. Probably close to 30 miles of actual riding! I shipped my board and some gear back via FedEx and don't expect it until sometime Wednesday, but I have enough other stuff that I could go before Thursday. Bryan, I'm looking forward to OES. See you there. Bill

Robert, I went today. The Marmot side was pretty firm but held an edge well. I made about 4 runs there and then went over to Douglas. I shouldn't have wasted my time on Marmot as it was hero snow on the Saddle and Highland Glide. Was getting really crowded with lots of racers so I left early (like, what else is new). The upper lot was nearly full with more coming up the road. Why aren't all those kids in school? I probably won't go back until after the weekend and I see what these upcoming storms do. Let me know when you're going. Bill

Dan and I went today. We were on the Marmot side at about 9:45 and made some warm-up runs. Dan wanted to venture over to Coyote so we headed over there and were working on some stuff when about three runs in "wham" Dan breaks his lower leg. I just got back from the hospital about an hour ago and all went well, but they had to operate on it. Spiral fracture 11 inches long down his Tibia.....Don't think Dan will be up again soon....

Dan and I went today. We were on the Marmot side at about 9:45 and made some warm-up runs. Dan wanted to venture over to Coyote so we headed over there and were working on some stuff when about three runs in "wham" Dan breaks his lower leg. I just got back from the hospital about an hour ago and all went well, but they had to operate on it. Spiral fracture 11 inches long down his Tibia.....Don't think Dan will be up again soon....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!! :(

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this. Please keep us up to date on Dan's condition.

Bryan

I'll pass along your well wishes to Dan, I'm sure he'll appreciate it. He was a total trooper, even had a sense of humor about the whole thing. We were having a blast, been waiting 3 seasons to finally have a day riding together and it ended on a bad note. Life....go figure.

Man, what a break, no pun intended. At least he'll know what's best for the pain. I cracked a rib again at SES and I think I aggravated it yesterday but, it's nothing like a broken leg! Paul, did you see it happen? Spirals are more of a skiing injury. Did they do the surgery at Mt Shasta or in Redding and how much metal did he end up with? Good of you to stay with him through it all. Anyway, keep us updated until Dan feels like communicating himself.

Was getting really crowded with lots of racers so I left early (like, what else is new). The upper lot was nearly full with more coming up the road. Why aren't all those kids in school?

My girlfriend was one of those racers! (they get excused from school). She's going to states next month in Mammoth. :)