Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Instructor?

Hey John

This may be a long shot, but does anyone know of a carving instructor in the Mammoth area? I was considering a private lesson from the Mammoth Ski School but they are outrageously expensive. More importantly, given the average age of their instructors, I had doubts about getting someone who was actually familiar with the equipment and technique. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience or recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...
This may be a long shot, but does anyone know of a carving instructor in the Mammoth area? I was considering a private lesson from the Mammoth Ski School but they are outrageously expensive. More importantly, given the average age of their instructors, I had doubts about getting someone who was actually familiar with the equipment and technique. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience or recommendations.

Everything is expensive at Mammoth ski area, and it looks to be getting more so that way. :( I would say your best bet is to follow the posts on BOL. and show up to either Mammoth, or better yet June, when you see there are going to be a several riders on the hill. The carving community is pretty friendly and helpful most of the time. On a good day there will be a handful of riders at June that know their stuff. They may even be willing to take few runs with you, and give some free advice on the lift back up. Give it a try and see how it works out. What do you have to loose, except spending hundreds of dollars on a private at Mammoth that may not be carve worthy. Hope this helps and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John,

I don't know if he is still around? Ask around for Tom Tuttle, he use to be one of the top ski and alpine snowborders in both carving and racing!

Check at Kittridge sports, he use to work there as a tech.

I havn't been there for awhile so it might be a long shot?

Good luck, Fanman