Number of Snowboard Companies

Snowriter

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn't O-Sin just Dynastar's line of boards? I don't believe that they ever went out of business, but rather Dynastar just started calling them Dynastar - kind of like Atomic with Oxygen and Elan with Nale...?

Yeah, I don't think there was any break between the two, but I'm not sure.

http://www.snowboarding.com/products03/jan03/dynastar.html

Would be interesting to compare Original Sin's mkt share in '02 to Dynastar's now O'Sin was a better name for a snowboard.

Dan Sullivan from O'Sin jumped to Rome, when Rome was formed, and that was a major acquisition for them (and retailers will tell you Sullivan's presence gave them some faith in Rome when the brand started up). That had to hurt O'Sin.

Actually, Rome is the case study of how to start a snowboard company. Launched in 2002 ... number 4 by 2007. 'Course, you don't always have guys with Reid and Maravetz's smarts and experience running the show either.

A Snowboards

Yaqui

Moss

I thought Winterstick was still around?

5150 still around. Part of K2.

Believe someone else pointed out that Moss is still around.

Winterstick is still around, but we're counting it because it did go out of business (several times) and the current company has not legitimate connection to Milo.

Snowriter:

it would almost be worth it to merge the current and defunct lists....maybe green for alive and red for dead?This would give a one time view of all SB companies w/status in one list.

Shoot me an email if you want via BOL. Yours is not enabled in your profile.

Cheers

//Paul

Dudes, nobody of you ever freeriding Duotone boards in the dayz? Out of business sadly (got aquired by F2, went out of business in 2002/2003 (for the date I'm not really sure, might have been +-1 year).

LTB and Alpinepunk are of course still in business.

Killer Loop was only a brand produced by several companies (amongst others Radical with the Killer Loop 222cm shaped by Mark Farner). I think boards sold under Killer Loop label were allways available in other flavours too (think of identical board produced with different topsheet).

Northwave (yeah they had boards too, at least boards branded with their name)

What about Miura are they still producing powder sticks?

Snowriter:

it would almost be worth it to merge the current and defunct lists....maybe green for alive and red for dead?This would give a one time view of all SB companies w/status in one list.

Shoot me an email if you want via BOL. Yours is not enabled in your profile.

Cheers

//Paul

We could do two categories ... active and defunct .. or one color coded compiled category as you suggested with a tally on the bottom of active vs. dead companies.

From the other thread, here is an incomplete list of companies that were actively selling boards:

Top Selling Brands In Order

Units Sold

Specialty

Aug 07 - Feb 08

BURTON (>40% market share. Almost 4x the share of the #2 brand)

K2

RIDE

ROME SDS (Everything below Rome <5% market share)

ROSSIGNOL

SALOMON

NITRO

GNU (Everything below GNU < 2% market share)

ROXY SNOWBOARDS

NEVER SUMMER

LIB TECH

FORUM

LTD SNOWBOARDS

ARBOR

PALMER

ATOMIC

MORROW (Everything below Morrow < 1% market share)

FLOW

CAPITA

OPTION

LAMAR

NIDECKER

HEAD SPORTS

VOLKL

STEPCHILD SNOWBOARDS

SNOW JAM

TYPE A

AVALANCHE (everything below Avalanche < 0.1% market share)

TECHNINE

DYNASTAR

WORLD INDUSTRIES

UNITY

SPICE

SAPIENT

BLINDSIDE

ACADEMY SNOWBOARDS

BATALEON

ELAN USA

SIMS

ENDEAVOR

SANTA CRUZ

MAXX

ATLANTIS

VENUE

KEMPER

LIQUID SNOWBOARDS

APO SNOWBOARDS

VOILE

VENTURE SNOWBOARDS

SIGNAL SNOWBOARDS

O-MATIC SNOWBOARDS

OXYGEN

ZUMA

EMSCO GROUP

Hmm. M3 should be listed on the "defunct" list.

btw, as for mervin mfg, it's what i heard from one of my dealer, and it was plain as day when I saw the warranty paper information. Tho I do not know if it's actually official or just that -- rumors. I could check in with my buddies, tho I'm not sure if I'm "privy" to share the info. And yes, I did some research and it yields nothing about Olson buying the company back from QS.

Spiral snowboards, they used the old look lamar trikstick shape....why I don't know. Crap was actually part of Glissade snowboards...they are still around. Solid is back in business, so that can be taken off the list. Yaqui is alive but isn't so much a brand as it is a factory in China, which actually build Moss (japanese brand). Burnt snowboards, PL snowboards are both gone think they were all part of the Jamie Salters crap. M3 is still around, they are factory direct from China to a chain store near you, no longer Blaise's company. Molly...which became MLY (which is already mentioned). Hazmat is gone. Suprised nobody mentioned 24/7 or did they spell the name out, Mordo/Sons has a company or did have one with a similar name. Damn, so many small companies that are at the tip of my tongue...need a longer tongue.

Solid is back in business, so that can be taken off the list.

M3 is still around, they are factory direct from China to a chain store near you, no longer Blaise's company. Molly...which became MLY (which is already mentioned).

Hazmat is gone.

omg. I totally forgot about Solid -- are they still located out in Fairplay?

M3 -- that is correct, Rosenthal doesn't run 'em anymore, which is too bad. Back then, they were pretty good. I love 'em, plus I like Mommy Loves You, too. I think Junki Yoshida already has bailed ship in regards to MLY/M3. I remember the original M3's website -- they had a GREAT soundtrack to it! As for current M3 as in from China (or wasn't that Taiwan?), I'm under the impression they aren't distributing them in the US, hence me guessing they've gone under.

Hazmat -- if my memory serves me correctly, MervinMFG did produce their line, or was that Heavy Tool ? I remember a particular model with a real f-ugly bikini fat/cellulite-infested chick.

M3 was only good when Epic/Yoshida owned them, but Sims decided to change their name instead of paying Epic & all the other suppliers so a lot of companies/factories had the final nail in the coffin. M3 is maybe actually owned technically in Taiwan, it's the same owner as the Sisco factory in China. I know there was a legal battle & Sisco won, then won again when M4 went to a legal battle.

Elan/Artec, not sure how long that is going to last, Elan had 2 horrible years back to back, with a huge warranty issue this past year. Pale shut down this spring, Nidecker is selling off part of their factory, Burton can't even keep the factories they use in operation....more & more is going to China for most brands. F2 is still making boards in europe for 09/10...so that's some good news.

M3 was only good when Epic/Yoshida owned them, but Sims decided to change their name instead of paying Epic & all the other suppliers so a lot of companies/factories had the final nail in the coffin. M3 is maybe actually owned technically in Taiwan, it's the same owner as the Sisco factory in China. I know there was a legal battle & Sisco won, then won again when M4 went to a legal battle.

Elan/Artec, not sure how long that is going to last, Elan had 2 horrible years back to back, with a huge warranty issue this past year. Pale shut down this spring, Nidecker is selling off part of their factory, Burton can't even keep the factories they use in operation....more & more is going to China for most brands. F2 is still making boards in europe for 09/10...so that's some good news.

I'm impressed you know this stuff.

And for the record, I'm glad to be patriotic that I -TRY- to buy things in America -- like Lib Tech for a start, Bomber, etc. But Im not gonna get political on this stuffs for now. Secondarily, that would be European. I'm sorry to say, but China stuffs are notorious for their extremely poor craftsmanship.

Did you get all this stuff from TWS Business 'zine?

I know quite a few of the factories and suppliers, some stuff I won't mention cause it's one factory or company talking crap about another...always 2 sides to a story. By the time TWS biz info comes out, it's usually super old, for the most part.

China factories can make nice boards, they are getting better & better every year. I have a friend who has a super small factory there & can make some really good boards that are quite complex constructions, then there are other factories that build boards that go to Big 5 for a reason. Bigger brands see boards that look good & are cheap, but going to China is a huge effort if you want a really good board...it's tough & frustrating, in the end everybody looks at margin. Europe is a piece of cake, they pretty much have everything dialed. US well most brands have their own factory, that's about the only way to do it. Every country can make great product & as you know can make crap...even the US.

dont know if these were mentioned -- hard to remember all of those.

Angelic

Airwalk

Atlantis

B Line

Barfoot

Bastard

Belligerent

Breckinridge Underground

Custom Craft

Donuts

Dryve

Dukes

Duotone

Edje

Empire

Evolution

Hayes

Hyperlite

Joyride

Kidwell

Kind

MIA

Nolimitz

Olive

Onetrack

Rage

Random

Salomon

Shorty's

Silence

Slikbone

Smokin

Snowjam

Subtle

Type A

Unity

Vision

Voile

Wellington

World Industries

Yaqui

I know quite a few of the factories and suppliers, some stuff I won't mention cause it's one factory or company talking crap about another...always 2 sides to a story. By the time TWS biz info comes out, it's usually super old, for the most part.

How true, man. I know this from working for one factory in particular. Kinda interesting what info you hear, etc.

China factories can make nice boards, they are getting better & better every year. I have a friend who has a super small factory there & can make some really good boards that are quite complex constructions, then there are other factories that build boards that go to Big 5 for a reason. Bigger brands see boards that look good & are cheap, but going to China is a huge effort if you want a really good board...it's tough & frustrating, in the end everybody looks at margin. Europe is a piece of cake, they pretty much have everything dialed. US well most brands have their own factory, that's about the only way to do it. Every country can make great product & as you know can make crap...even the US.

Well, I remember reading an article with K2 and how much "pride" the chinese were about manufacturing those toys. So, that one wasn't too bad. Just would be nice if China had lots of "latest-tech" ski resorts, and then they'd get the idea on how to improve it.

Hey, sending you a PM.