Note to New Members ×

matt morrison gold in italy

lowrider

Guest Boardbum

dec 14 2008 how do we get this athlete more recognition in this sport ???

unfortunately Matt would probably have to put on skis and do the same thing.

Jaysey has won 52 world cup medals and no one in Canada has heard of him either. Now if they were from the US they might get some recognition.

Guest Boardbum

Further more CSF should get off there asses and start promoting their athletes, when JJ won his 50 WC medal last year there was no mention of it anywhere in the media except in Quebec.

I really don't think you could ask for more marketable athletes than Matt, Kimiko, Alexa and Jasey. Yet, you rarely see them in the news or in any corporate endorsements. I think Matt's GM deal came as a result of his Oshawa roots and Jasey and Alexa's deals are from her own hustling. I don't want to comment on CSF's failings without being 100% familiar with the situation but does anyone know if CSF has a full-time media rep? Do they help recruit sponsors or is it left up to the individual athlete?

He made the local vancouver global 13 news, they actually showed his entire gold medal run. They gave mention to JJA and the girls ( Kimiko I think) medal placings as well.

Yeah, we get RDS here in Ottawa, and during the the regular highlights show, they posted it at the bottom of the screen, but I didn't actually watch the entire show so I don't know if they played any highlights. They played Hockey and American Football highlights before whatever came next though.

Further more CSF should get off there asses and start promoting their athletes, when JJ won his 50 WC medal last year there was no mention of it anywhere in the media except in Quebec.

That's real talk. The Canadian Snowboarding Federation is dropping the ball HARD on one of the sports we actually do well. When the Canadian Soccer Association keeps on with being a disaster, I just shake my head, blame it on the snow and hope for better results next time.

I don't want to comment on CSF's failings without being 100% familiar with the situation but does anyone know if CSF has a full-time media rep? Do they help recruit sponsors or is it left up to the individual athlete?

There is a full time media/PR company... info about that HERE.

Overall sponsorship of ALL Canadian snowboard programs are handled by the CSF and High Road. Individuals are responsible for MUCH of their day to day expenses of representing our country.

There is a full time media/PR company... info about that HERE.

Overall sponsorship of ALL Canadian snowboard programs are handled by the CSF and High Road. Individuals are responsible for MUCH of their day to day expenses of representing our country.

I would say High Road is doing a ****ty job if there is no mention of Matt's gold in today's Globe and Mail (print version) while speed skating gets front page coverage with a full colour photo.

Judging by the press release, it sounds like CSF has a contra deal with High Road and contra deals get usually get short shrift in any agency. They throw the junior guy on it or an intern.

Yeah, we get RDS here in Ottawa, and during the the regular highlights show, they posted it at the bottom of the screen, but I didn't actually watch the entire show so I don't know if they played any highlights. They played Hockey and American Football highlights before whatever came next though. .

Yes at RDS ( Sports News TV ) they just the same clip with the run of Matt, some from JJay & Kimiko. Probably the most since last year WC in Stoneham.

Is it up to the CSF to promote and market the athletes? To some extent it is, but it really is up to the athlete. Do you think Shawn White is waiting for USSA to put his name out there??? No he has hired marketing agents to do that. The athletes need to take responsibility for their own career.

I'm only involved in the sport at a local level but I would think that media relations, during the race season, is the job of CSF and their PR agency. The wheels should be greased and only need to be set in motion when you get a result like Italy.

I agree with you about the athletes marketing themselves. However, CSF should also be ready to assist the athletes with templated sponsorship kits and media training. As far as I know, CSF does not do that. Alpine Canada, on the other hand, has this stuff down cold.

Lots of shoulds, but the facts are the facts. The high level canadian athetes do get a year round living stipened, and travel, which is much better than the US athletes. The CSF also put together that MTV reality show. If the athletes want more exposure than it is up to the athletes to do some work for themselves.