Note to New Members ×

Chairlift triple chairs for sale

patmoore

Mt. Southington near Hartford, CT is replacing their old triple chairs and are selling the old ones for $99. I picked one up. It's presently hanging in the garage but I hope to put it out back by the patio. Here's a crude photoshop attempt at what it will look like (if the condo association goes along with my idea). I'm just figuring on embedding 6X6s and using another one for a cross member for support. Does anyone have a better idea?

Pat

chair-patio-small.jpg

Guest Frappe

Get two lengths of heavy chain, and a chain-cover of some generic cloth/nylon/whatever variety.

Loop them over a sturdy tree limb, and run some good nylon rope down from the loops to the chair.

Instant uber-swing!

(Recreate that sickening feeling of rocking back and forth on ancient, rickety chairlifts in the dead of winter, and sit in it on a windy day with ice in your clothes.)

Originally posted by patmoore

What's a sky hook?

Ever heard of Dr. J?

we had a guy on our job site spend a whole day looking for a sky hook, some Toe nails, a bucket of steam and some num nuts...

we're not nice people...

As for hanging the chair, I've seen them done from a cable running front to back, so you can get the swinging feeling

-NBC

Wasn't that Kareem Abdul Jabbar who had the sky hook? Or maybe it was Lew Alcindor.....

Anyhow, keep sending the suggestions. If I can't get permission to erect it, I may have to wait until I retire and move out west. (Thinking I could get a place with a TALL ceiling and mount the chair in front of the plasma TV)

Originally posted by Frappe

(Recreate that sickening feeling of rocking back and forth on ancient, rickety chairlifts in the dead of winter, and sit in it on a windy day with ice in your clothes.)

Or if you want to recreate the feel of Snoqualmie make sure it's pouring rain, gusting 10 knots and 32 F.

________

Body science

Jim - I'd love to see a photo of the chair suspended on the 2" galvanized water pipe.

Ncermak - In the summer of '65 I was home from college working as a carpenter's assistant and kept having to go up and down several stories to fetch tools for the guy. He was nailing down plywood for flooring and discovered he had cut a piece too short. He hollered at me to climb down again and get him the "board stretcher". I was half down before I realized what he said. I climbed back up and told him the only one I could find was left-handed....

Pat, Can you find out if they still have chairs for sale? I called the Mt but no answer. I think fleaman is talking about the sky hooks used when applying spotted paint to a ceiling. Is Southington anywhere near Sundown? I haven't skiied there since college.

Eric - nice installation! I'm getting a lot of good ideas.

Willy - I just sent you an e-mail with some other ways to contact the folks. Mt. Southington is about 20 minutes southwest of Hartford on I-84. Take exit 30 and go north about a mile. Ski Sundown is in New Hartford (I've done the Sr. Olympics there for a number of years).

The Connecticut Ski Council races at Mt. Southington on Mondays in the Winter.

Originally posted by patmoore

Ncermak - In the summer of '65 I was home from college working as a carpenter's assistant and kept having to go up and down several stories to fetch tools for the guy. He was nailing down plywood for flooring and discovered he had cut a piece too short. He hollered at me to climb down again and get him the "board stretcher". I was half down before I realized what he said. I climbed back up and told him the only one I could find was left-handed....

The next day he had to find the pipe stretcher...

Ed Beckley is the general manager. I believe his extension is 217. Their toll free number is 1.800.982.6828 but it might only work from within Connecticut. Over the summer, most of the employees are working outside (replacing the chairs). I know they had a power failure during a storm a couple of weeks ago and I think it knocked out their answering machine. You might also try a fax at 860-621-1833 and ask them to get in touch with you.

Here's a link to their CONTACTS PAGE.