Note to New Members ×

Burton Rat Traps

palmer7716

"Rat Trap" is a nick name for the Burton Race Plate, which was born in 1994 and made through 2002 (3?). A lot of racers use these because they are less rigid (good for race ruts), but they do so at their own peril because they eventually break. If you can ride for 10 seconds and come to a semi-conrolled stop with only one foot on the board, then you're all set.

Unless (I assume you are buying a used pair) the seller is using the term loosely, he could be referring to the old style steel wire-frame bindings, which are junk.

Hey Jack, these are the Burton Step ins with the steel base plates and the spring loaded rear bails. I called them rat traps cause I dont know their official name. I,m 6'2", 180 and had ridden these pretty aggressivly without any problems. IMHO, they are a decent cruising binding. Would I recommend them for racing or bumps? No. BTW, i'm the seller. Pile on everybody!:D

Guest zaphod

rat trap is right, they'll break your fingers if you're not careful. my experience with them is neither good nor bad. unlike many on this forum i have never broken a burton binding, though i've worn a few out. i found the rat traps a reliable connection to the board, but the relative complexity of the mechanism makes me hesitant to recommend them.

zaphod out...

there is no sense in getting these BUT if you have older Burton boots that do not take intec heels and you want stepins its a good choice

they are soft and do wear out so if they look like they have had allot of use stay away

I consider them a decent freeride/freecarve plate best used at lower angles in the 50s or so

if you have a real skinny deck like 19 cm or even 19.5(and a size 28 boot) they flex too much IMHO

for me at least

this is based on myself I am about 260 and 6 ft tall so it could be less of a issue for you

my old lady prefers Burton plates over Bombers and Cateks I have tried to sway her over to the Bombers a couple times as I hate to see a pair of great bindings sit around and gather dust but to no avail

Originally posted by Art

Hey Jack, these are the Burton Step ins with the steel base plates and the spring loaded rear bails. I called them rat traps cause I dont know their official name.

Ooohhhh yeah. Those rat traps. I checked those out in a store once and killed my finger. yeowch!

hell yeah that spring mechanism is kinda scary when youre workin on em

I had a pair, rode em for a bit..didnt have any probs except getting the release working while strapped in was a flexibility challenge for me at 6'2"

I rode em fairly hard...didnt break didnt release