Note to New Members ×

alternative to tire chains

panthiest

I forget what they were called, but they were an alternative to chains and looked like that had a bunch of bars that just snapped around the tire and were supposed to be an easier and effective alternative to tire chains. I remember seeing them at the bomberstore a few years ago, but now I can't find them or even remember what they were called. If noones selling a used set can someone point me in the direction of a place that sells em? thanks

Their studless tires kick butt too. The RSI's on my Outback are good enough that I can't imagine ever needing studs. If it's icy enough so that studs would be an improvement, there's a solid line of cars anyway.

I'll second that. Winter of 07-08 in was epic in Plymouth, NH. My Outback with Nokian RSi unstudded tires went everywhere I needed to go anytime I wanted to go.

Firestone make a agressive snowtire that can be studded for 73 last I looked.

500 for tires with studs = one wreck if they save your butt just once then they have paided for themselvses

Yes they are good for 2 years then sell them off to craiglist

Ex towtruckdriver

+++1

I've lived on snow covered mountains for a long time and used & installed many different types of so called tire chains, if it's not a chain it's not enough for serious snow. Especially heavy wet dumps in the foot hills.

That said, $500 dollars for top off the line snow tires can be way cheaper than 1 slide off, damage, towing, citations:smashfrea

I always buy top end tires for mrs. b0ardski every year for the suv, and I use last years on my pickup. If you don't have 4 or all wheel drive with good tires please buy & use real chains in heavy snow or you become a hazard to everyone else driving up or down winding snow covered roads.

when it come to turning on ice quality matters

p.s. there is nothing like tying to untangle cables twisted around brakes & steering parts in a foot of snow after skiing all day.