Note to New Members ×

Dear Buck Hill Diary III

bobble

Ben - Good to hook up with you (for a few runs at least); my daughter's basketball team ended up getting second in the tournament, so the drive to Cloquet was worth it.

Russ

Russ, it was fun riding with you too. I hope to be up at Spirit a few more times this winter - I really enjoyed it. And congrats to your daughter!

---

As for Granite Peak, I thought it was both too flat and too steep at the same time. Flat light, old ladies who stop in the middle of the run, skiers in some sort of snowplowing brownian motion, narrow and overly steep beginnings, icy terrain from all the skidding skiers - not really my favorite. That high speed lift is nice though. Overall, I think I'll avoid it until I gain much more proficiency.

But I did apparently earn the "boarder of the day" award from a skier who was carving quite well on some oddly wide skis. Funny how he knew it was a snowboard while kids on snowboards ask "what is that?"

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, ofcourse I did; the sun was shining. Actually the cold wasn't too bad, as there was zero wind this morning. I got in a couple of hours (on skis). The grooming was good, but it might have sucked somewhat on an alpine board as there was some very soft spots. I hate to keep centred on the board and didn't fancy going over the handlebars. We're due another inch or so tonight if they get it right, so may be the same conditions tomorrow. I would guess it will be just great by the weekend. Looks like Sunday may even have some sunshine.

BobD

Well, ofcourse I did; the sun was shining. Actually the cold wasn't too bad, as there was zero wind this morning. I got in a couple of hours (on skis). The grooming was good, but it might have sucked somewhat on an alpine board as there was some very soft spots. I hate to keep centred on the board and didn't fancy going over the handlebars. We're due another inch or so tonight if they get it right, so may be the same conditions tomorrow. I would guess it will be just great by the weekend. Looks like Sunday may even have some sunshine.

BobD

gong to be colder... -5F

bob, have fun riding today! let us know all the gory details.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/16/2009 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>10F </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>excellent</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>carve-licious</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Afternoon

it was extremely cold this morning. at around 7 am it was -20F. spent the morning trying to re-mold my old liners in the new boots. went out at 1pm.

hardly anyone at buck. i thought i saw that it was 10F on the timer board but came home and was 3F per weather channel. regardless, it felt warm like in the mid 20's.

carving was effortless. the snow was a bit soft but absolutely no ice. :biggthump it might've been slow but ideal if you're trying to figure something out (like my new boots).

stayed for an hour then had to run errans -- beer for ms. bobble. her commutes have been 1-1/2 hours this week.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/17/2009 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>20F </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>flat, too poor for me</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>decent</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td> 1</td></tr></table>

Morning

very flat light. some light snow coming down. the snow conditions were quite good. i had problems at top of crossroads... light is so flat that i couldn't see the rollers. once i got past them i could continue with the run.

ski jammers showed up. lots of little tykes on skis. i didn't want to wait around for windows. was only there for an hour.

might go back this afternoon.

Heel Side Turns

still having weird scalloped heelside turns. on one run i could feel the tail of the board slide out at the apex. i felt the board slightly pivot around my front boot. i think i was forward on the board when it happened. prolly should've been centered. after that i tried to pay attention to "feeding the dollar". it didn't make alot of difference.

not sure what's going on. my timing feels off. body position doesn't feel the same.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/18/2009 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>mid 20s </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>flat... snowing</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>very nice</td></tr></table>

Morning at Welch

snow was really nice. it was snowing big flakes on and off. flat light was a problem but the lighting gradually improved. initially the place was dead but then it got crowded at 10 am. did dan's, jon jon, wild finally, harlys, dyke dream. did maybe one run down baky.

didn't do the backbowl. welch set up canopy framing at the entrance to da bowl. it looks like a half-assed charlie brown spook house. a skier told us that he was back there and it was icy.

left around 1 pm after trent got bogeyed on wild finally by two skiers on same run; one at 9 o'clock, the other at 3 o'clock. in his words "danger#ucker-ous!" ** . i was fine with leaving -- it was a wee bit crowded with straight liners.

overall today was decent.

Afternoon at Buck

went to buck. very crowded. the same people followed me from welch! rode for an hour. snow was in decent shape. great for carving! gotta think it must've been fantastic this morning even with the flat light. was it?

the lift line was crowded. the chair was stopping every time i went up. i did have to wait for windows. lots of tykes on skis getting lessons.

rode the chair with a hardbooter. i didn't catch his name. he was with his son and had a sims burner (i think) that he borrowed from a friend. the guy was with his son and said he hadn't rode in 10 years. he said he saw another hardbooter... sounded like wild bill.

a ski patroller complimented me at the top. said he was watching me "if i could ride a board that would be it -- i'm too old".

Blue Jean's Day at Buck

if you wore your blue jeans inside your boots they gave you a minnesota northstar hat.

** i just googled danger%uckerous and its not listed anywhere on the web!?!

gotta think it must've been fantastic this morning even with the flat light. was it?

It was fantastic. Olympic dreams was amazing, but they started setting a few courses around noon. Crossroads and Milkrun were very nice on either side of the lift towers.

I saw Bill, but never actually met up with him.

I was at Buck at opening and there was no other hardbooter there. Snow was in great shape, flat light, left about noon. Could not figure out why there was no one else there. Got my boot liner issues all sorted out - I think.

Rick

I was out there from 9:30 or so until about 1:00, mostly on Olympic Dreams. I wonder how we never saw each other.

DATE 1/20/09

TEMP Warm enough to wear just a shell

VISIBILITY Great, sunny

CONDITIONS Hard, with speed bumps(see below)

HARDBOOTERS 1(me)

MY ISSUES

I know that it may come as a shock to many of you but I was actually in hardboots today. I am still having a ton of problems riding this year. Looking at my tracks from the lift toe is good but heel you can see that I skid a bit at the beginning of the turn and then lock into the turn. When I am riding, it feels like my body is way out of wack on heelside and I am un-weighting my front foot. I took one run on the 183 and put it back in the truck. SCARY FAST. Never felt like this before, maybe it is because I really haven't been in hardboots for two years or maybe age is catching up with me........who know's but it is getting frustrating. Guess I need to get on the board more.

GROOMING

Really sucked. I thing that they had someone new running it because every run as you traversed across, it was like driving a car down a dirt road at 80 mph. No overlap on the tiller made for some great fun. The entire area was like this.

AFTON

See you all there tomorrow, hopefully I can ride better. :biggthump

DATE 1/21/09

TEMP 28

VISIBILITY Night

CONDITIONS Really nice, but a little chewed up after a busy day.

HARDBOOTERS 2 (Me, and another unidentified carver seen from the lift)

Took a friend out last night that is fairly new to snowboarding. The hill was quite busy but the snow was good, just as good as Afton was earlier in the day.

Saw another carver on the hill, but could not identify him from the lift.

DATE 1/21/09

TEMP 28

VISIBILITY Night

CONDITIONS Really nice, but a little chewed up after a busy day.

HARDBOOTERS 2 (Me, and another unidentified carver seen from the lift)

Took a friend out last night that is fairly new to snowboarding. The hill was quite busy but the snow was good, just as good as Afton was earlier in the day.

Saw another carver on the hill, but could not identify him from the lift.

Rufus was there. I think he came late in the day when the sun came out. Saw him when I finished racing at about 2.30.

BobD

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/24/2009 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>-10F according to the timer board </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>bluebird skies</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>firm cord, some places a little thin</td></tr></table>

Morning

went for an hour. toes got cold after 1/2 hour then my bindings felt really loose. when i left the front just flopped over!

conditions were decent. they set up a course on milkrun. three school busses showed up.

still having issues with heelside scallop. can't figure it out.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/25/2009 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>-6F early in the morning, about 10F afternoon. </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny!</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>firm cord... maybe a little slow</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td> 3 (me, trent, kenton)</td></tr></table>

Morning at Welch

got to welch early at 8:30 am. it was very cold. on the way in, the thermometer was reading -6F. i think it warmed up to about 10F. went inside a couple times to warm up.

early in the morning the snow was ... how you say in english ... KICK ASS! :biggthump.

around 2pm the snow got a little challenging. the love was gone for the dive. didn't get around to riding bakke till late in the day but it held up.

there was a snowboard competition to see who looked the most like shawn white. wild finally was not carver friendly -- too much going with people standing on the hill for the snowboard comp.

as a joke, went over to back bowl. hardly anyone there.

Binding Setup

i played around with my bindings last night. i reduced my heel lift down to about 4 degrees. it seems counter-intuitive but it helped to reduce the amount of scalloping.

had a problem with bale tension on my beloved catek bindings. at the bottom of dan's dive i freed my rear boot for the chair. i took a step with my rear boot to push forward and then my forward boot came out of the front binding! i was WTF!!! :angryfire i tried to make the binding tighter but i couldn't. i'm not sure what's going on. i was disgusted and ended up changing boards.

<table><th width="125"></th><tr><td>Date</td><td>1/25/2009 </td></tr><tr><td>Temp </td><td>-6F early in the morning, about 10F afternoon. </td></tr><tr><td>Visibility</td><td>sunny!</td></tr><tr><td>Conditions </td><td>firm cord... maybe a little slow</td></tr><tr><td>Hardbooters</td><td> 3 (me, trent, kenton)</td></tr></table>

Morning at Welch

got to welch early at 8:30 am. it was very cold. on the way in, the thermometer was reading -6F. i think it warmed up to about 10F. went inside a couple times to warm up.

early in the morning the snow was ... how you say in english ... KICK ASS! :biggthump.

around 2pm the snow got a little challenging. the love was gone for the dive. didn't get around to riding bakke till late in the day but it held up.

there was a snowboard competition to see who looked the most like shawn white. wild finally was not carver friendly -- too much going with people standing on the hill for the snowboard comp.

as a joke, went over to back bowl. hardly anyone there.

Binding Setup

i played around with my bindings last night. i reduced my heel lift down to about 4 degrees. it seems counter-intuitive but it helped to reduce the amount of scalloping.

had a problem with bale tension on my beloved catek bindings. at the bottom of dan's dive i freed my rear boot for the chair. i took a step with my rear boot to push forward and then my forward boot came out of the front binding! i was WTF!!! :angryfire i tried to make the binding tighter but i couldn't. i'm not sure what's going on. i was disgusted and ended up changing boards.

Had an awesome day. I pretty much kept to myself for the day. Kind of nice to bury myself in my own world for awhile. I am glad that things are finally coming together with this board. I have been in hardboots more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years and if feels good. I should be at welch a couple days midweek and back out on the weekend with my kids but will be in soft boots with them.

Today was nice at Buck. Racers on Milk Run until 10:45 then the place was DEAD!

I was on the Tanker today so I can't say much for the conditions, it is kind of impervious to just about anything it seams.

I my eyes the snow was nice and fast, with really good grip. Even after they took down the course Milk Run was still good.

There were 4 of us there, me in softies, Rick, Ben and Bill. Karl tried, but failed....;)

Good day all in all.

Date 01/27/2009

Temp Don't know

Visibility Flat,Sunny,Flat,Sunny etc

Conditions Firm Cord

Hardbooters ME

Hill was empty today, one school group there but plenty of room to play. I got there about 12:30 and there was still untouched cord all over the place. Nice being able to ride without looking over my shoulder. The run to the left of Dans (where the moguls are) was awesome! They groomed the moguls out and you can run the enitre width all the way down. Stayed until about six. Lots 'o ski racers by then so I decided to call it a day. I don't know if anyone else has noticed her but I swear that the old lady in the purple jacket and no teeth from buck is skiing there. I have seen her three times so far. Will be back out Th-F afternoon.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed her but I swear that the old lady in the purple jacket and no teeth from buck is skiing there. I have seen her three times so far.

yeah, she was there sunday too. she prolly got the memo.

hope i can still board (or ski) when i reach her age. my parent are in their 60's and they are not physically capable of skiing anymore.