Note to New Members ×

Catek Freeride Pro's for BX?

palmer7716

I am wondering if the Catek Freeride Pro bindings would be good for BX? I ride a freeride board(Elan Vertigo 168 and 162) for racing BX and usually use a stiff strap binding( Burton C16). I am wondering if the Freeride Pro's would be any better? The reason I ask is that there is a thread on Catek's site that debated their use for jumping. Thanks alot!

i have never used them, but given their extra weight and stiffness i can make assumptions

i don't think they'd be that great to spend all day in the park on jumps over and over, but who does that? :) :)

for BX, a really really stiff binding means every little movement and tweak you put into the binding translates to your board, which could be very good for holding an edge if you have good technique with not too much "business" and flapping like we see in duck stanced Bx'ers these days

I would think Super STiff Catek Freeride bindings with a BX board with a large radius would be great for boardercross, as it is the mid-ground between the extreme of Hardboots on a Raceboard, which are pretty punishing on the bigger jumps but very advantageous in the turns, and butter boards with butter bindings that butter their way down the course with arms flapping and butter the landings. (i am obviously biased :) )

Guest Pre School Rider

Yeah,they'll work just fine,if your boots are decently stiff in the soles.The cutout on the CATEK heel is a bit weird feeling if your boots mush thru it. Maybe you might want to consider a tad bit of well-placed stickyback foam in the baseplate,or insoles like Spenco Heel cushions added between your liner and shell of your boots. The added power and accuracy can help in bX racing a lot,but it's not worth loosing shock absorbtion on more vertically abrupt courses. BTW,my fave BX binding is the LDS equipped Nideckers.That LDS pad does great things when you'd otherwise Spank your heels,and it's a built-in lifter as well.

Guest slam
Originally posted by Pre School Rider

Yeah,they'll work just fine,if your boots are decently stiff in the soles.The cutout on the CATEK heel is a bit weird feeling if your boots mush thru it. Maybe you might want to consider a tad bit of well-placed stickyback foam in the baseplate,or insoles like Spenco Heel cushions added between your liner and shell of your boots. The added power and accuracy can help in bX racing a lot,but it's not worth loosing shock absorbtion on more vertically abrupt courses. BTW,my fave BX binding is the LDS equipped Nideckers.That LDS pad does great things when you'd otherwise Spank your heels,and it's a built-in lifter as well.

I run two pairs of the nidecker carbon 900's, they are wonderful for anything. Just peel back the foward lean a little if you are riding park.