Note to New Members ×

A 4807 for my BDay!

Mike T

I got an awesome BDay gift from my wife last night - an OSin 4807 178!!!

I had shown her the ones on eBay a while back and I guess she just couldn't resist! Woohoo!

I had bought her a Burton Fish 150 off eBay (her Incline tends to sink a bit in powder) and it wasn't supposed to be delivered till Friday, so when the doorbell rang last night I didn't think to intercept it... she got and quickly realized it was her size and not mine... so there went my plan of saving the Fish for *her* birthday in August.

Turns out she had been hiding the 4807 in the garage for two months. (Still haven't figured out where she hid it yet and she won't tell me) She couldn't wait another week and a half for my BDay at that point. I'm certainly not complaining! (We could get another dump at Hood this spring - it's happened before!!!)

Has anyone used TD2's with a 4807.... or should I find a pair of used Burton race plates for it? It's a pretty soft board, not sure how well it would hold up with TD2s.

A very nice B-Day present at a very nice price.

I'm planning to mount X-Bones on my 4807 178cm. My carving friend rode Burton race plates on his and was carving up a storm.

What about getting the soft (yellow) rings for your TD2's? That is what another friend is ordering for his Prior 4X4.

I hope you get your wish for another pow dump.

Hugh

Guest AlpentalRider

the 4807 is a swallowtail powderboard right? What is your thoughts on it, does it work well in pow, trees, etc? Can you ride groomed with it if needed? I'm looking at adding a Pow board to my quiver and would love to hear feedback. Also, I would run softies on it, does this board work better with hardboot or does it not matter?

Guest Pre School Rider

This board is Awesome! It prefers softboots,but will carve with plates. Just don't overpower it with a too-stiff type of setup. The nose flaps at serious speeds (something that I recall from my Safari 205-Very nerve-racking at first). It's probably not to be entirely trusted in aggressive jump-carves,it might Fold! Being a swallowtail,the 4807 does the Pow very nicely at speed.The Nose is unreal,as it's boat-hulled in shape.It stays afloat at ridiculously slow speeds or in lay-it-over DEEP turns. Manuverability is very good,so trees are a great place to take this board. I added an extra bit of stomp-pad just aft of the rear binding to allow for one-footed traverses. This way,I can get into some spots that NO ONE else rides or skis! Now,just hope for a great Powder Year,or,buy into some Heli-Cat time! It'll be very worthwhile... :)

The Ebay "buy now" price is $139! Buy from ProSportsDirect. I got mine in 3 days. Search 4807 under sporting goods.

I've seen this board carve (hard boots) with 1-3" of pow on top of groomed. Most of the carvers that I know bought the 178cm. I got mine a few weeks ago and our season is now over. I can hardly wait until next year.

Hugh

That's where my wife got mine...

As far as bidnings go - I have the yellow erings alreday, I used 'em on everything. I was more worried about the TD2's in terms of not breaking the board... rather than the ride. If I see any race plates go up for sale cheap I'll probably buy 'em just for this board.

Has anyone used one in deep spring slush? If so how did it go?

Originally posted by Pre School Rider

This board is Awesome! It prefers softboots,but will carve with plates. Just don't overpower it with a too-stiff type of setup. The nose flaps at serious speeds (something that I recall from my Safari 205-Very nerve-racking at first). It's probably not to be entirely trusted in aggressive jump-carves,it might Fold! Being a swallowtail,the 4807 does the Pow very nicely at speed.The Nose is unreal,as it's boat-hulled in shape.It stays afloat at ridiculously slow speeds or in lay-it-over DEEP turns. Manuverability is very good,so trees are a great place to take this board. I added an extra bit of stomp-pad just aft of the rear binding to allow for one-footed traverses. This way,I can get into some spots that NO ONE else rides or skis! Now,just hope for a great Powder Year,or,buy into some Heli-Cat time! It'll be very worthwhile... :)

I ended up getting the 156MD Fish myself - partially because I still like shorter boards... I hope it should still have enough float for my small 145 lbs body at slower speeds. I'm aiming for quick turns in the trees are most important and being able to blast through choppy powder and snow drifts as well.

Still debating whether I made the right choice... but I'll probably get the chance to try someelse's 4807 (a bunch of Tahoecarvers bought them) and see which I like better (hopefully!)

Guest AlpentalRider

Would you recommend the 168 or the 178? Based on your comments I'm planning on snagging one of them to add to my quiver for powder days.

I already own a Burton Johan 163 as my primary backcountry riding board, and want to make sure that the 4807 isn't too simular to the Johan in pow. Should I go for the 178 then? Or does the 178 require wide open terrain to manouver (mostly I will be riding Alpental and Whistler).

I've never ridden a board over 168, so my concern is that the 178 might be a little big for swimming through trees in pow.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

Guest Pre School Rider

They ride shorter than they are on hardpack.There's a lot of nose up front,so look at the edge contact length,too. In Pow,I've had riders of less than 150 lbs. find that 168 is a bit slow turning,but that's more likely a width issue instead of length.One of the kids I've done Race Coaching for isn't more than 155 lbs.,and loves the 178cm,rides it often even on icy days. I'm 165-ish,and the 168 holds me up very well on fluff.I'd prefer the bigger model,but I've got Tankers if I need length. :)

Guest rider.steve
Originally posted by Mike T

That's where my wife got mine... Has anyone used one in deep spring slush? If so how did it go?

I picked up the 168 *and* 178 lengths off ebay from Wavejamer surf/snow shop in New Jersey at similar prices. So far I've tried out the 168 in several different conditions, including spring slush and groomed packed powder. Ironically I haven't had this board out in deep powder yet, although I'm sure it will perform very well.

This April I rode the 168 in spring slush at Waterville N.H. and it was a blast. It was a very warm day, around 70 degrees, and the slop was very choppy and deep. With the boat-nose, fast base and the set-back stance, I was doing some big-time surfing (in fact some of my skiing buddies there asked me how long it takes to learn to ride - I think they were a little envious of the surfing-style). Highly recommended!

My experience with New England Hardpack with the 4807 was surprisingly good. Once I got used to the setback stance and the vibration of the long nose at higher speeds, I found that this board carves as well as a medium flex free-ride board like my Arbor, maybe a little better due to the slightly longer turning radius. The key is to ride relaxed, keep the weight centered and not too far forward.

As far as riding length in groomed conditions, my take is that the 168 rides about as long as a medium flex 164 freeride board, and the 178 would ride like a 172 or so, based on the long nose.

I've used this board with a Clicker setup, which is just fine, but recently puchased AT boots for back country, so will be exploring plate bindings myself. Based on my experience and this discussion, I'll be looking for something with a little flex..

Steve

Guest AlpentalRider

I just got mine today and it had damage to one of the fins. I emailed them and sent them digital pictures of the damage. Since the damage was on the inside of the fin, i doubt very seriously it happened during shipping.

Actually O'sin wasn't bought by Dynastar, it is a spin off that got eaten back by the mother ship. History is simple, back in the end of the 80's, early 90's, most ski company started to think the ugly stupid fashion of snowboarding might mean big $$$; and it was time for them to eat the small fishes. Out of all the company that were pioneering the 80's, only Sims and Burton really survived that time independant.

Meanwhile Atomic, Dynastar and a few other brands started brands ( Oxygen, and Original Sin ) in order to hide behind, since ski industry was considered evil at the time from the snowboarder's point of view. Funny to see that Rossignol kept its name and came out with such good alpine boards ( the shannon R158, the R159/R167 etc..) It was later to eat Hot snowboards, which it is likely to sink soon ( rumors say Hot as only a few years life expectancy...).

Now that the ski company rule the market, they are not in need of camo names, so both dynastar and atomic killed their babies at same time last year. The 4807 and the 3807 are now manufactured under the Dynastar brand ( same factory, same molds, uglier graphics). They are among the last boards manufactured in France btw, since salomon, and rossignol are now in morocco, tunisia, spain and Romania for their main productions ( only the protos are still handmade at the factory)

Nils

Originally posted by nils

Meanwhile Atomic, Dynastar and a few other brands started brands (Oxygen, and Original Sin) in order to hide behind, since ski industry was considered evil at the time from the snowboarder's point of view.

Also Elan and Nale (Elan spelt backwards).

It always seemed sleazy, dishonest, and kinda patronising to me for ski companies to do this. I thought Salomon and K2 did it better by using their own names. It seemed like they were making a more genuine commitment - putting the weight of their brand behind their product.

It is ok to say who you ordered from and who was the shipping company, no? Sounds like you both have different damage issues, but never the less, someone (shipper or shipping company) needs to fix it. Be sure to keep all of the packing materials for them to inspect.

I know of a dozen boards (178cm) that arrived in perfect condition (no scratches, in the wrapper) for Prosportsdirect. If you didn't buy from that Prosports, then I can't help.

Good luck,

Hugh

Originally posted by Hugh

Jim,

That is great news and exactly what I would expect from a good EBay seller.

I don't know if he has any 178cm boards left. I was hoping that more carvers in my area would have jumped on it.

Hugh

By my count, there were at least 5 people with the 4807 in Tahoe (maybe more), for of which ride the same mountain. That's a fair number of ppl. I went with the Fish myself... but if all of you want a 6th rider, get each of the 5 4807 owners to paypal me $20 to "subsidize" me and I will gladly cover the rest myself! :D

Arvin,

At this time, I'm looking to buy another pair of Intec heels for my second set of boots. After I buy those, I'll probably want to buy my son a new snowboard for next year.

Almost forgot about the custom longboard that Rick is shaping for my daughter and she'll need a new wetsuit too.

Sorry, no extra $$ at this time.

Hugh

p.s. Looking forward to riding my 4807 in 2005!

Arvin,

At this time, I'm looking to buy another pair of Intec heels for my second set of boots. After I buy those, I'll probably want to buy my son a new snowboard for next year.

Almost forgot about the custom longboard that Rick is shaping for my daughter and she'll need a new wetsuit too.

Sorry, no extra $$ at this time.

Hugh

p.s. Looking forward to riding my 4807 in 2005!

Hmpf... if you drink only tap water for the next week, that would easily be $20! jk... Yea, hopefully I'll be able to borrow one of the boards and see if I like it.

Just ordered another 4807...

I own/rode the 4807 168 for the last 3 seasons and could just not hold back to get the 178 at this price as well...

The 4807 is probably not the very best fish tail out there, but something everyone should own at this price... my opinion

I guess you don't know that I'm a drinking water chemist? I would never be found spending more than $20 in a year on bottled water.

My favorite cartoon:

Customer: Is there really something to this bottled water, or is it marketing?

Waiter: Evian is naive spelled backwards. You be the judge.

I've cut back on spending on Lattes, brewing at home and work these days. I have been spending a few dollars on tuning supplies, a few more scrappers, wax, and gummie stone.

Can't wait for snow!

Hugh

I guess you don't know that I'm a drinking water chemist? I would never be found spending more than $20 in a year on bottled water.

My favorite cartoon:

Customer: Is there really something to this bottled water, or is it marketing?

Waiter: Evian is naive spelled backwards. You be the judge.

I've cut back on spending on Lattes, brewing at home and work these days. I have been spending a few dollars on tuning supplies, a few more scrappers, wax, and gummie stone.

Can't wait for snow!

Hugh

Obviously I'm joking. But I was considering if you *only* drank tap water. No beer, no coffee, no soda - for your whole family. 75% of the stuff people drink (coffee, soda, and "juice drinks") tend to be unhealthy for you anyway (despite some vehement assertations and caffeine and alcohol are their life blood :D ). Sure you could eek out another $20.

Did you check out Tri-City with all their tuning gear 50% off? I got a bunch of wax, a scrapper, and a diamond stone. Should I get a gummi stone? Is there a place on sale (didn't see them at Tri-City). I was going to use the diamond stone to deburr my edges and I guess having a gummi stone to smooth out the edge would be nice too.

Originally posted by lonerider

Obviously I'm joking...about the $20 per person :D

-- I hadn't tried the quote button before --

Did you check out Tri-City with all their tuning gear 50% off? I got a bunch of wax, a scrapper, and a diamond stone. Should I get a gummi stone?

gummi stones are great for removing rust and detuning the edge. If you don't need it for that, then you don't need one. I bought most of my tuning stuff from Tognar. I still need to build a tuning bench. I'm using saw horses, not that great.