Note to New Members ×

New hard snowboard boot size?

Alpine racer

Hi,

I just bought a new set of Head Stratus pro racing snowboard boots. I do understand that they are usually smaller in size then most boot, but I am not sure whether to heat form mine or send back for a larger size. When i get into them, my big toe touches the side of the boot where the boot gets skinnier at the toe. It does not press right up against the end but it is a little bit of a squeeze to get in. My question is whether it would be in my best interest to get a size up or not. I am also only 15 and a half so i am probably done growing but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks,

Alex

(Alpine racer)

ps. Also if someone would let me know a little better how to adjust the foward lean and tension spring on the back and what the difference is in the second set of plastic "toungues" that I got with them.

Mold them using hot air, NOT in the oven. These liners are different to Thermoflex.

When molding, stick pieces of neopren or cotton in between your toes, and a toe cap of an old sock over eveyting, to create more space up front. Works like a charm.

I bought Head Status Pro about a month ago and this time I really want no heel lift so I went with a 25.5 size and my foot measure 26.5 cm.

They were pretty thight even after molding (using hot air tube). I wear them at least 10 nights watching TV or surfing the net and they're beginning to fit. I currently wear them with a small sock my usual ski socks is stilll too big for now.

From the experiences in my living room, the stock rab will not allow you much movement. Depending if you want more flex you may want to use the BTS or the ACSS system.

Also, check on extremecarving forum they are several threads on how to cut your boot (with PDF files and pictures) to allow more flex. Most of them are in french but the pictures talk for themselves.

In general the boot is considered to fit properly if the toes brush the front of the boot when standing normally, but when you flrx the boot, they come away. That will tell you that the length is correct. If that is the case, take Blue B's advice and mold the liners. If they are still tight on the outside of the toe box there are several solutions. Best bet is to go see a bootfitter and get them adjusted.

If you are into the monkeying thing, you could play with some internal wedges to releive some of the tension: If the inside of the toe box is rubbing, put a small wedge of duct tape on the outside of the heel (between the boot and the liner). That will rotate the foot slightly, and ease the pressure. thing interms of Equal and opposite reactions. If wedges don't relieve the pressure - refer to advice 1: go see a bootfitter - get custom insoles, and if necessary, get the boot blown out to make it wider.

The key here is that a bootfitter can always make a boot bigger, but cannot make a boot smaller without sacrificing performance.