Note to New Members ×

F2 Speedcross?

geist

Been looking around at some good boards to get a start in carving, found an F2 Speedcross 157 at a nice price, any opinions on this board from experience? looks a bit wide, which is fine for me, as i might be riding softies (at high angles) for awhile as I raise some funds. If appearances were everything it looks like a nice boardercross/freecarve, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience riding one of these and what you can say about it?

Also, I'm 6'0", 167lbs. atm. there isn't much for size options here, i'm thinking 157 will be just fine but maybe not?:o

Thanks for your help.:)

You may well outgrow it quickly.

My 154 holds up nicely on our local small hill, I'm 155 lbs & 5'11 or so.

I ride it on SB 124s and snowpro race bindings.

I spent some time at the "real" mountains last winter though, and I'm going to need to upgrade soon for those sessions, the nose was starting to feel a bit soft.

It's definitely a good transition into the carving world, it holds lines much better than twintips.

For reference, MP28 hardboots will let you run 48/45 or so.

If you are looking at the 157 at The House I am betting you can do better than their current price. They've been trying to sell the final few boards from their major F2 warehouse purchase a few years ago.

Considered it as a Boardercross board for my 16 year old racer but worried that for him at 6'2" and 134 lbs it was a tad too short.

You may well outgrow it quickly.

My 154 holds up nicely on our local small hill, I'm 155 lbs & 5'11 or so.

I ride it on SB 124s and snowpro race bindings.

I spent some time at the "real" mountains last winter though, and I'm going to need to upgrade soon for those sessions, the nose was starting to feel a bit soft.

It's definitely a good transition into the carving world, it holds lines much better than twintips.

For reference, MP28 hardboots will let you run 48/45 or so.

By local small hills, what sort of size do you mean? I'm just saying it could be visually different for everyone, like the hills i ride and race on are probably not very large by most carvers standards; I frequently ride on Ski Brule in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and its roughly the size of other hills I would visit.

oldkey: Nice guess on The House ;)

But yeah, the 157 perhaps being a tad too short was prolly my big concern, other than the board quality itself of course.

Just my 2 cents: Forget about the F2.

As far as I know, Joerg Egli is in the US quite often this winter. He defintely will have some Pureboarding twos or even the new PB model in his suitcase. If I would look for a good allround, go-anywhere, fun carving board I would go for Pureboarding.

Well, my local hill is actually a valley. www.yawgoo.com

By comparison, my "real mountains" are places like www.okemo.com

It looks like ski brule falls somewhere between the two.

My take on it would be if your choices are this or a softie twintip, you're better with the F2. If you want to eventually have a board for little places & messy days, it may be a good choice too. If you're shooting for the kind of riding that some on here do, you should probably save up or pick up a used board here.. After a season on mine i'm in search of a donek FCII with an extra 10+cm length. I'll still start the season on my F2 but try to get comfortable on the FCII soon afterwards if I manage to get ahold of one.

I ride the 157 speedcross in VT and MA. Its a decent board, but I find it doesn't hold an edge as well as I'd like in softies, nor does it turn very smoothly in anything but perfect snow. (Another note, it has a crappy extruded bottom that gets burned along the contact points.) Still, I like its overall feel and set up, especially on fresh groomers. Its one of the few carvers that can fit soft boots, so its a place to start. Maybe hard boots would sell me on it even further.

I'm still looking. This year I'm going to try one of my stiff, big mountain boards (that I know holds a killer edge) with a softer HB set-up. Then again, I like tinkering with equipment.

Just my 2 cents: Forget about the F2.

As far as I know, Joerg Egli is in the US quite often this winter. He defintely will have some Pureboarding twos or even the new PB model in his suitcase. If I would look for a good allround, go-anywhere, fun carving board I would go for Pureboarding.

I've got the Speedcross and "The Two". the Two is hands down better then the Speedcross. Softies, HB's, carving, chop, powder, the Two blows the Cross away. If you can get your hands on one, grab it!:biggthump