Note to New Members ×

newbie setup

Guest north east will

Guest north east will

hey everyone. thanks to whoever put this site together it has been so helpful.

I have been snowboarding for about 10 years. Until now I have used various freeride type boards. I use a Solomon W4 164cm board now. Over the years I have become more and more interested in going fast and carving as I spend a

lot of time with ski racers. This year I want to get into hardboots and carving/racing boards. I live in the North East so I need to be able to deal with a range of conditions including hardpack/ice. I may also try to get into some racing. I'm 6'1" 215-220.

this is my idea: get really good bindings (TD2s or Cateks), get boots that fit well (im willing to spend money on this) and buy a pretty cheap board off of ebay .

i figure i can use the bindings and boots for a long time and i can use this year to figure out what kind of board i really want to spend a lot of money on. what do you all think?

sorry for the long post

will

i started out the same way - picked up a set of td's used for $100, spent the $$ on boots and learned (and broke) a $75 used burton alp 171.

best way to go - you don't have to upgrade the boots or bindings and upgrading boards is half the fun.

cheers!

steve

Guest north east will

i checked out alpinecarving.com and they were pretty harsh on burtons so that made me rethink that a little bit. am i ok on getting a cheap buton off of ebay for my first carving board?

will

more specificly is this burton speed race 178 a good idea?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3635803208&category=21250

I will sell you my FP 173 which has only been used about 10-15 runs and has a great race tune on it. The FP is a little siffer then the speed from what I hear. It's a great board but I just don't have room for it anymore. It is on eBay right now but if you want it, I will stop the auction for you.

<a href = "http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3636504838&category=21250&rd=1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3636504838&category=21250&rd=1</a>

I'll sell it to you for $125 plus shipping.

Let me know.

Thanks,

->Ben

ebay can be tough sometimes when all of us carvers see a board that we like for example a Sims Burner even for a well used one it can go way up in price even hardboots get real pricey I just sold a pair for $212 USED that is way too much in my opinion

at your weight and you say you want to go fast I really recomend goin with a longer board 175+

Guest north east will

bschurman -- thanks for the offer but im looking for sometime alittle longer

of course i would like a donek or a coiler but i think im going to get something cheaper for my first carving season.

will