Note to New Members ×

sponsor?

swoardman

hey i was wondering if anyone knew of any company that would wanna sponsor me. i am ranked top ten overall for usasa racing for my age group. i am currently 14 years old. I have been racing for two years now and just keep getting better. Also i do park , and rail jams in my free time, when i am not on my race boards.

look for a local shop? clothing company? 14 year old usasa is not going to bring in a lot of business for the sponsor's dollar, so you need to get creative in your approaches. keep competing and winning, and the sponsors will notice. If you're looking for specific suggestions, you might want to let us know what part of the country you are in, as it is very unlikely that an amateur racer is going to get a national sponsor.

Some other advice in addition to the good advice already given....Look for athletic foundations or local entities such as sports boosters.I received 1200.00 a season for several seasons from an athletic foundation that sponsored local athletes of all ages as long as they did at least one international competition (velodrome racing in my case).I was also generously sponsored by a snowboard instruction client who took an interest in my racing,as well as others.

Of course, at your age,it never hurts to get mom and dad to jump on the bandwagon of 'shameless solicitation' for their future 'Olympian'.Throw that word around and you'd be surprised at the interest you can drum up. You and your parents need to think outside the proverbial box.In the event you do find meaningful sponsorship, it is up to you to return the favor by staying focused on achieving your objectives along the way and communicating your thanks to them on a regular basis.Oh,and being polite and level headed,and not mumbling like most people your age might also prove to be constructive.

Seems to me that a scholarship fund for efforts like yours would be a good idea to base out of a site like the one we're on right now.

First and foremost be professional. Have a good looking resume (or CV) and approach potential sponsors in a professional manner (be humble and grateful and confident in yourself).

Go to lots of potential sponsors, don't expect to get everything from one person/company.... seek out 10 and you may get 3 and then seek out 10 more. Some may give you more than others, but don't turn down smaller sponsors they may be the ones who are likely to stick with you for a long time. Be gracious with whatever they offer to do for you... I have had people approach me and I tell them what I am willing to do for them and they tell me that isn't good enough... well then i don't want to do anything for them ever... take what they offer and be grateful and talk them up just as you would someone who gives you much more. Something like a piece of clothing might not seem big, but as you tear your pants (or race suit) on a gate and they give you new stuff you will be real happy you have a good relationship with them!

think outside the box, go to your local sports stores and mountain where you train, but also go to your local bank, grocery store, local businesses and other such places.

Definitely look into sports organizations, boosters etc.

Be prepared to tell sponsors what you are going to do for them, where and how you will display their logo and other ways you can do things for them... do they have any events they need volunteers for? Again be creative.

Listen to other's suggestions and visit some high level racers' websites, see who sponsors them to get some more ideas on who to go to... and like Steve P says, get your parents to help on the bandwagon and throw that word "Olympian" around.... even future olympian gets people excited.

Once you get sponsors, keep them updated, shoot an email or a phone call their way to tell them how you are doing, how much you appreciate their continued support and what your plans are... when you give stuff to people it is nice to know they continually appreciate it!

that's all i can think of now... but this should definitely get you started!

Lastly, you need to get out there and promote yourself, don't think at this point that people are going to come running to you to sponsor you... get out in your community and tell them why they should want to sponsor you!

that's all i can think of now... but this should definitely get you started!

Good Luck!

hey to reply to what I would want. Now that I am on race boards I need help purchasing a slalom and giant slalom board every year or two. Also it would be very kind if you could help with boots that would be much appreciated. In return I would wear your logo on whatever I ride and try to put it on my jackets, pants, and racing shin gaurds. Also i will put you on my myspace, aim, also under the sponsor section on my usasa profile.

andreac's advice is real good, read it and read it again. Keep things in perspective most riders on the world cup have to fund equipment out of pocket so at 14 year old USASA you will have to get real creative when marketing. Attracting international sponsors is probably a waste of efforts at your level. Focus on the local level, where you can get local media coverage, that will help local sponsors. Kessler probably isn't willing to give you boards in exchange for a sticker on your boards (if you buy one there will be one there anyways), but a local restaurant may be willing to help you in exchange for mention in the local newpaper.

At your level you may want to focus more on fundraising than sponsors.

Thanks for the props Phil... had another thought about local sponsors...so while I said take what they offer graciously, some might be new to the sponsor game, so be prepared to tell them how they can help if they aren't sure... more than saying, "i need a new board" put a dollar amount on there "for a new board" because they may have no idea how much a board costs. They may choose to give you part or all of it (this is the be grateful and gracious part) but it will help them help you if they know how much you are needing.... just something to keep in mind!

hey to reply to what I would want. Now that I am on race boards I need help purchasing a slalom and giant slalom board every year or two. Also it would be very kind if you could help with boots that would be much appreciated. In return I would wear your logo on whatever I ride and try to put it on my jackets, pants, and racing shin gaurds. Also i will put you on my myspace, aim, also under the sponsor section on my usasa profile.

Err...Take this from a 14 year old who can't snowboard to save his life (and therefore wears a helmet..)

That will get you a giggling if you attempt to do something like that. Ever learn how to write a business letter in English class in 7th grade?

Follow this format

John Doe

1234 Your Street

Snowville, East Coast State 90210

(818) 911-9111

9/24/2008

RE: Snowboard Sponsorship

(four lines skipped..this counts as one)

Sucker Withmoney

Burt-dumb Snowboards

1234 Cheese Street

Heart Disease, Vermont 12345

Dear Sucker Withmoney

I am writing you this letter to request a sponsorship yadda yadda these are my qualifications, this is how good I am, this is how I got this far because my mommy buys me lift tickets etc.

FINISH THE THING WITH ANY SPONSORSHIP THAT CAN BE PROVIDED WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Gratefully,

SIGNATURE

John Doe

You can also look up block format business letters, as I may have messed up the formatting. Formatting matters. Personally, I wouldn't try making a properly formatted resume. A single business letter makes more sense to me, but please please please get someone to proofread it, perhaps your english teacher, he or she will also look at you to be a good student and citizen if you're doing such a thing. Very important for these first weeks of highschool (or Jr. High, whatever you're in)

Sponsor me?

<hr style="color: rgb(51, 153, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> hey to reply to what I would want. Now that I am on race boards I need help purchasing a slalom and giant slalom board every year or two. Also it would be very kind if you could help with boots that would be much appreciated. In return I would wear your logo on whatever I ride and try to put it on my jackets, pants, and racing shin gaurds. Also i will put you on my myspace, aim, also under the sponsor section on my usasa profile.

<!-- / message --><!-- controls --> quote.gif

:( Hummmmmmmmm,, 14 years old and you want to have someone else buy your "race" boards

and boots.

So at age 14 one still does have many opportunities to earn money. Oh I get it you want to follow up on your racing potential but still hang around the park and spend your money on park equipment.

At your age I (now 57) had three lawnmowers running all day every day in the summer with three other kids working for me PT.. I paid for all my racing gear. That was how I got the lawn care jobs.

That was how I got the lawn care jobs............................................

I had a well scripted outline of courses in school, PSIA East, and NSPA, clinics, detailed info on the costs to get to races and clinics and the cost of equipment and replacement equipment. I already had found a small sports shop in Hartford,CT that would give me an unconditional replacement personal guarantee for the season if I raced on the then new to the USA Elans from Yugoslavia. Found a similar deal in Winsted,CT for Dolomite boots. I was also able to contract for the next winter, by doing this both of my snowblowers and both of my best friend's snowblowers with the same team of 12 and 13 year old workers. My mother typed up the brochures for me and I had them printed at a local print/copy shop. This was in 1964/5 (no computers yet).

In the late 80s and early 90s before he was twelve my son found ways to earn his money for race skis by helping people with computer things.

To get to the national level in any sport takes a total commitment. If you want to be a racer be a racer. If you want to be a park rat be a park rat. Even in AASI and CASI there is recognition of separate paths to the highest levels of snowboarding. I started snowboarding on soft boots (actually LL Bean Swampers) while still skiing. When I committed (1995)to hard boot snowboarding on a Burton Race board I quit both soft booting and skiing for 8 years . That is how long it took to feel totally confident about taking the race boards down anything from a snow making blow out ice river next to the trail to powder, to gates, to riding fakie, to teaching beginners and even teaching ski lessons on a race board.

My young friend if you are going to do this you have to plan for school studies. Make ups, how to fit lessons and studies in between practice and workouts and gym time. And then family time and then personal time. If you have not figured out how to deal with all of the things you are going to have to, literally a "double plate" every day, How can you go to a parent and ask for total commitment and time support from them to get you to all the meets and clinics and training sessions And then to school as you will always be late getting there or leaving there.

You want sponsors get your act together and then try the uncommon approach. Become a Veterans advocate at your local vets center or VFW post or American Legion post. Raise awareness for vets and vets issues and add public speaking on vets issues to your daily plate and you might be a veterans sponsored racer. Include working with your local MT's handicapped ski and snowboard program. If they don't have one have the Vets help you start one.

Not to discourage you but it is a big thing to tackle. Ask any current or past Olympic Athlete. You can always contact me privately for help or advice and contacts if you need some help with them.

GWS:D

One aspect in which your parents can help is to make sure the local paper prints your best results and even better if there's a photo and a story with it.Getting in the local paper has been mentioned in this thread,but by yourself you might not have the credibility that your mom or dad,or better yet,your coach will have in making that happen with the local sports editor (you do have someone you refer to as 'coach',right?) Also,it does not necessarily need to be in the sports section. A couple of the biggest articles I've gotten have been 'human interest' stories elsewhere in the paper. As much as we all wish the contrary,snowboard racing just isn't interesting enough by itself.The amount of space a photo and story take up would be very expensive for any local business to pay for but they get that space through your efforts for less money and more satisfaction.Eniswaya has a good point about snowboarding for a cause;although he forgot to mention that when he was your age there were not only no computers, there were no cars either,and it was an uphill walk both ways to school in bare feet:)

Eniswaya has a good point about snowboarding for a cause;although he forgot to mention that when he was your age there were not only no computers, there were no cars either,and it was an uphill walk both ways to school in bare feet:)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

that's exactly what I thought.

Swoardman,

I had quite a few sponsors back in the early 90's. The first was a local shop that gave me highly discounted gear and paid my entry fees in exchange for wearing their logos around the mountain. the second was a big sunglass company that was sponsoring one of my roommates and I got to go riding with the rep. The biggest ever I had for 2 years - a (at the time) small board company who was trying to increase their presence in the area I was in - good for several boards a season, but that was because I got lucky enough to get on film on one of their boards. The plain and simple truth is there is a lot of luck involved, but you can boost your luck by meeting the right people and acting like a professional, and not a punk kid. Find out who owns your local shop, ski mountain, and who the local industry reps are. Get introduced. Try to get them to take a few runs with you...

ramnbling post i know but it'searly...

Steve you are old enough to know we had REAL muscle cars in HS in the sixties.

Eniswaya has a good point about snowboarding for a cause;although he forgot to mention that when he was your age there were not only no computers, there were no cars either,and it was an uphill walk both ways to school in bare feet:)
By 1967 I had acquired from a family member, a 62 Studebaker hawk that was purchased in 1964 as a dealer demo used by the dealers son. It had been upgraded to full factory R5 twin supercharger pure stock street stock status. This was a hemi and goat killer with over 500 HP at the rear wheels. Consistent low 13s/108+ at the drags, once in a while a high twelve at 110.

This next clip is a lowly R2 single blower 289 lark. Listen at the end for the time.

An R3 now with factory rated 335 bhp but tested at the pure stock muscle car nationals 386hp on rear wheel dyno (studebaker always underrated their engines buy using the big three rpm points when Studebaker all gear drive cams were good for 1000 to 1500 more rpm than mopar or gm engines.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJAKMr9HwY&NR=1

Now a nice black (mine was red on red) 62 hawk almost like mine but with stock 289 high performance engine.

Note Studebaker from 53 on all dual exhausts were extreme low back pressure high flow.

Hawks were extremely low, lower at the roof than a Camaro or Mustang but on a 120.5 inch wheel base.

How about a regular 289 non supercharged Lark?

and last but not least the sound of a stock Studebaker (with only) Single SuperCharger

Running r2 base line supercharged automatic neighborhood drive stock including exhaust.

Note: In 2000 and 2003 privately owned 1963 Studebaker Avanitis (2 of them) took back the Bonneville Salt Flats title for fastest street stock class C cars. First in 2000 at 203 MPH and then in 2003 at 213 MPH. The Avanti by doing this still holds the world record in street stock class C 40 years plus after it was built. BTW in 1963 the plain SuperHawk R2 was underrated by the factory at 335 BHP and top speed of 153 MPH.

Thanks for listening to an old guy digress. hope you all enjoy the vids.

Grandfather wolf:D

In the early sixties. Studebaker Avantis, were routinely tested by the factory for safety and handling at over 170 mph ,Hawks at 160 + mph and super larks at 140+ mph. In the early sixties no Ferrari or Porche or any other street car was factory tested for safety at those kind of speeds.

Class C at Bonneville was over twenty MPH faster than even an unlimited class Daytona Cobra.

so Studies still rule and still hold the world records ......stock ....40 years plus later......................

P.S . you can by a 150K$ AMG benz sedan that will tie a 40 year old Studie in 1/4 mile but it still cannot compete at the salt flats.

40+ years later..........

As to the double over head cam four valve per cylinder cross flow head high rpm v8 design. like BMW and AMGs newest engines in 2007: check out Studebaker's 1954 262 CI enigine with the same, putting out 387 BHP natuarly aspirated (in spite of Studebakers already lead in super charging) at 7700 rpm in 1954 When mercedes and bmw were still only making six cylinder engines.

GWS

In the early sixties. Studebaker Avantis, were routinely tested by the factory for safety and handling at over 170 mph ,Hawks at 160 + mph and super larks at 140+ mph. In the early sixties no Ferrari or Porche or any other street car was factory tested for safety at those kind of speeds.

In an era when Chevy and Ford was producing full-sized cars with over 400 horsepower engines the Avanti's measly little 289 didn't sound like much. However, the aerodynamically-slippery Avanti body and relatively light weight allowed the car to attain very impressive top speeds. A well-tuned R2 Avanti could do over 150 mph, earning it the reputation as "the world's fastest production car" by Car and Driver in 1962. There are persistent anecdotal stories out there that claim production Avanti's could do 170 mph, but that's because Andy Granatelli managed to do so in a specially-prepared car that had much more horsepower than the stock R2. His car's engine was dubbed the R3 and was to be made available to the buying public but less than 10 were ever sold. The reason was the price, unfortunately. At $6,000 virtually no one wanted one.

If they are hitting 170 on a modified car on the salt flats they aren't "routinely tested by the factory for safety and handling at over 170 mph". :smashfrea

Steve you are old enough to know we had REAL muscle cars in HS in the sixties.

By 1967 I had acquired from a family member, a 62 Studebaker hawk that was purchased in 1964 as a dealer demo used by the dealers son. It had been upgraded to full factory R5 twin supercharger pure stock street stock status. This was a hemi and goat killer with over 500 HP at the rear wheels. Consistent low 13s/108+ at the drags, once in a while a high twelve at 110.

This next clip is a lowly R2 single blower 289 lark. Listen at the end for the time.

An R3 now with factory rated 335 bhp but tested at the pure stock muscle car nationals 386hp on rear wheel dyno (studebaker always underrated their engines buy using the big three rpm points when Studebaker all gear drive cams were good for 1000 to 1500 more rpm than mopar or gm engines.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJAKMr9HwY&NR=1

Now a nice black (mine was red on red) 62 hawk almost like mine but with stock 289 high performance engine.

Note Studebaker from 53 on all dual exhausts were extreme low back pressure high flow.

Hawks were extremely low, lower at the roof than a Camaro or Mustang but on a 120.5 inch wheel base.

How about a regular 289 non supercharged Lark?

and last but not least the sound of a stock Studebaker (with only) Single SuperCharger

Running r2 base line supercharged automatic neighborhood drive stock including exhaust.

Note: In 2000 and 2003 privately owned 1963 Studebaker Avanitis (2 of them) took back the Bonneville Salt Flats title for fastest street stock class C cars. First in 2000 at 203 MPH and then in 2003 at 213 MPH. The Avanti by doing this still holds the world record in street stock class C 40 years plus after it was built. BTW in 1963 the plain SuperHawk R2 was underrated by the factory at 335 BHP and top speed of 153 MPH.

Thanks for listening to an old guy digress. hope you all enjoy the vids.

Grandfather wolf:D

Class C at Bonneville was over twenty MPH faster than even an unlimited class Daytona Cobra.

so Studies still rule and still hold the world records ......stock ....40 years plus later......................

P.S . you can by a 150K$ AMG benz sedan that will tie a 40 year old Studie in 1/4 mile but it still cannot compete at the salt flats.

40+ years later..........

As to the double over head cam four valve per cylinder cross flow head high rpm v8 design. like BMW and AMGs newest engines in 2007: check out Studebaker's 1954 262 CI enigine with the same, putting out 387 BHP natuarly aspirated (in spite of Studebakers already lead in super charging) at 7700 rpm in 1954 When mercedes and bmw were still only making six cylinder engines.

GWS

You have just gone beyond thread drift to thread non-sequitur...

I'd really like to know how your mind made the quantum leap from snowboard sponsors to F"ING STUDEBAKERS!!!!

trippy, man...

I read that and wondered what GFW was smoking too. I remember "real muscle cars too" I also remember bias ply tires mono tube shocks and the feeling of taking a corner in my 70 RT/SE Charger at MUCH LESS than 170 MPH. God and I spoke a lot back then, I'll take my Honda s2k's 240 hp and low stance anyday.

Thanks TT & Tex

<hr style="color: rgb(51, 153, 255);" size="1"> I read that and wondered what GFW was smoking too. I remember "real muscle cars too" I also remember bias ply tires mono tube shocks and the feeling of taking a corner in my 70 RT/SE Charger at MUCH LESS than 170 MPH. God and I spoke a lot back then, I'll take my Honda s2k's 240 hp and low stance anyday.

<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

DuRace you are local :boxing_sm

I'm right here on rt 114

1 block from rt 103. Just look for the viloin shop with the big tour bus next to it. I have been a Studebaker Historian since 1967. I have not said or posted anything that I can not back up 100%

Stop by for an IPA and I will show you. Yeah I chaired the International Mobile Robotics and Artificial Intelligence international engineering conferences for several years also. I have the books and pubs to back that up too.

Now while the folks you hang with might be BS artists ......I am not!!!! ...DO NOT JUDGE ME BY YOUR STANDARDS.

603 938 5282

I don't do drugs I am a disabled veteran and if you are local as you are you should at least give me the courtesy of stopping by for a free beer before TRASHING MY PERSONAL INTEGRITY on the board.

Something by the way I would never do publicly to anyone on this forum. I might do it privately, but not publicly and even not privately without contacting the person and finding out what they were all about.

I guess you feel superior even to George W when it comes to having the right to judge others even if you can not pronounce thier names.

Still My hand is open ....stop by for an IPA.

GWS:biggthump

BS meter = pegged

<hr style="color: rgb(51, 153, 255);" size="1"> Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by EnisiWaya viewpost.gif

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Here says only ten r3s, bull **** there are ten of them still storming the pure stock drags eating up all the 440 challengers and such and I was an assit. service manager at the only Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealer in CT with it's own rear wheel Dyno-mometer IN THE 60S

rarest of the rare

1963 Studebaker Super Lark DAYTONA Convertible!

<tt>

<tt>This vehicle is STILL owned by its original owner!</tt>

<tt>It's one of the last surviving, unrestored 1963 Studebaker Super Lark Convertibles with a 289 Paxton Supercharged Avanti Engine with a 4 speed!</tt>

</tt> <tt>

<tt>Its been garage kept since 1963. </tt>

<tt>It has never been in snow.</tt>

<tt></tt>

</tt>

Very RARE, one of 31 Paxton Supercharged Studebaker Lark Convertibles ever made..., with aprox. 46K ORIGINAL Miles!

http://www.sweetchariots.com/sale2.php

Special note here yes STudebaker did super charge the 289 size version of the High rpm gear drive cam small block. but they did it in 1957 for the golden hawk at 289 BHP ( which was underrated) By 1963 the 289 R2 with paxton blower had a much hotter cam and valve train improvements and had like 30 to 40 % more boost pressure . With a larger carberator and a better larger diameter free flow exhaust. so to say that the 1957 HP numbers were what they had in 1962 and three is just poor reporting.

A R2 convertible has 250 extra Lbs on the rear wheels. with the top down to load the rear axle with max Lbs and a tonneau cover to reduce wind drag you are looking super hook up and at consistent mid 13s at THE DRAGS. this is a fact that Mopar ( i am one ) gm and ford guys hate to see coming. get real ......a super 428 gto judge is only good for an average of 14.7 at the strip as street stock.

Yet the Jet Thrust club (supercharged Studies gang ) says they don't really know how many were done. Well over 1000 as it was not just a factory option but a dealer upgrade.

I have personally seen over 24 r3s and i think their was probably more than 100 created based on Paxton supercharger production volume numbers. that does not even count the R4s with the twin monster four barrel carbs like the one hand built as a feature article by a Motor Trend editor. In addition the number of R5s with twin four barrel carbs and twin superchargers is a big speculation. they were never shipped from the factory but were a factory authorized dealer upgrade if the engine was shipped to Paxton. How many ?no one really knows. But since it was a dealer factory warrantee in force upgrade it does qualify under all car racing sanctioning bodies as factory stock. So many of the Studie folks have over the years searched and found the expensive parts to do the upgrade. Just think 299 Cu in displacement some at 302 cu in. twin 750 CFM carbs, 12 to 15 psi of boost, and 6500 to 7000 rpm!!!!!! do the math read up in what the top of the line super cars today are doing and have. and the Studies weighed an average of 1000 Lbs less than the current super cars. Same HP less weight . Over 40 years ago. Now they still hold over 40 some odd records for speed . And they are still holding Mercedes , Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini, BMW , and others at bay in their Class C with a car that is over forty years old. Incredible as it may seem they are still also holding those big guns at bay in many higher classes and even in the unlimited class. this is fact gang.

BTW Studebaker STILL HOLDS THE RECORD FOR PRODUCTION CARS OFF THE PRODUCION LINE FOR WINNING INDIANAPOLIS MULTIPLE TIMES . NO ONE ELSE HAS EVER EVEN DONE IT AND STUDIE DID IT OVER AND OVER MAnY TIMES. Read th4e history of Indy and you will see

gws

some guys here are die hard kite boarders.

I am into chainsaw engine powered slalom/autocross street luge.

I guess I have been a total gear head since i was a little kid. I don't always understand but get a kick out of the discussions here on off road motorbikes.

Picture 1967 and a 5HP Rupp Sprint minibike. deactivate the governor and now you get 40 mph. OOpps blown motor. Ok lets put the 19 hp Mc Cullock snowmobile engine in it. Woooooooooahhh what a ride!!!!!!

I have been into and competed in SCCA Racing and solo 11 and pro rally and more and more motor sports. 3 Gs on a street luge in a turn at 70 mph two inches off the tar is just like 3 Gs in a push pull turn on the courderoy.

I am I guess the resident old man gear head.

LOL

the title of this original post? My comment was as much in reference to that as it was to your car stats.

This is past post jacking, some poor kid wants to find a sponsor and first you flame him with "get a job punk" then you derail his post with an obscure car topic.

So that is you. I have been trying to figure out who you are since you joined BOL. We have had more than one IPA together watching the Tractor Parade. I will concede you knowledge of cars, have you finished the Triumph yet? Did that v8 fit? I could not place a hard booter (your ski collection in the barn) and I don't think you ever mentioned you even snowboarded when we met. You also were not working in a restaraunt then you were in Aero-space engineering (g-suit). Do you still have the Corvette? Did you get the new KTM I think you were selling one to get the new one.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my comment but if you step back and look at the big picture, sponsor... get a job... 2 page Studi rant... you may see where some of us thought you were on an enhanced plane.

I may take you up on the IPA if you finished the Triumph though.

Paul

BTW find me a 62 or 63 Corvette with Transistorized ignition and disc brakes.

Not till 65 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By late 63 They were running not R2 but R3, R4, and the infamous R5 larks and hawks at Bonneville not for records, they already had the records but running for testing.

HP factory ratings. Even now at the PSMCDs they ignore the factory ratings and use the now known realistic much higher tested ratings

stated at 289 4bbl

225 hp actual closer to 290

R1 240hp actual 299.

R2 289hp actual 376 at the rear wheels.

R3 335, actual at the rear wheels close to 425.

R4 rarest of all who'es guess

R5 rated at 425 to 485 depending on whether it was Studebaker or Paxton division of Studebaker dong the rating. Actual well over 500 hp at the rear wheels on dynos.

:D