Note to New Members ×

Hurricane recipes

skatha

Hey!

We're waiting for the expected landfall (around 1 am tomorrow morning)

I've already tried the 1 oz passionfruit juice, 1/2 oz pineapple juice, 1/2 tsp of grenadine, 1 1/2 oz rum and squirt of lime.....(Pat O'Brien's)

Any other recipes????

We may be without power shortly after landfall, so make your bids soon

I will try all offerings and report back

My roommate at school used to put some strawberries, a banana, some 99 banana's, some rum, whiskey, vodka... Whatever we had... Put that all in a blender and blend it up, then stick it in a hurricane glass.. They usually ended up pretty good despite the lack of measuring.

Good luck with the other hurricane, hopefully everything comes out in one piece.

skatha, there has to be something positive about living in Houston. Please share.

My best friend lives in Houston. Real Estate prices are low, and you can get a nice house in a 'burbsy neighborhood while still being in Houston proper for a great price. Although my friend locks his doors and has a security system. Minute Maid Field is nice. As far as I can tell that's about it. The weather is hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

Not a hurricane, but it'll get you drunk, and it's oh-so tasty.

Peach Sangria,

750ml bottle of white wine (sweet, wet, highly drinkable)

1 cup peach schnapps

6 Tbls. sugar

3 Tbls. frozen lemonade concentrate

sliced peaches (firm, sweet, white is best)

Mix it all together and throw the peaches in. Let it sit for at least an hour if you can.

Hey!

We're waiting for the expected landfall (around 1 am tomorrow morning)

I've already tried the 1 oz passionfruit juice, 1/2 oz pineapple juice, 1/2 tsp of grenadine, 1 1/2 oz rum and squirt of lime.....(Pat O'Brien's)

Any other recipes????

We may be without power shortly after landfall, so make your bids soon

I will try all offerings and report back

hope Ike doesn't whoop ya too hard....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XRNQ2C2x0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Real estate CAN be a good deal-forget about buying anything inside Loop 610 for less than a million, though. The suburbs are a little better zoned than inside the Loop so I'm not right next to a skyscraper.....

Commercial real estate is very expensive and very lucrative...so the days of the house next to a skyscraper are gone. There's another skyscraper next to it now

I used to live in Galveston...I'm pretty sure my old house is gone

I live in Houston because my divorce decree limits where I can live to Harris and Galveston county until my son turns 18. He wants to go to Texas A&M, so we'll keep a Texas address for another 4 years to take advantage of the tuition discount and then we'll be gone

We still don't have power-I'm at work, seeing if my 11 am appointment will show or not (her phone is out)

Cell service and land line service is really spotty.

My neighbor ran up to College Station to get gas for everyone on the cul-de-sac for our generators, but, we actually got a Canadian cold front (Unusual for Sept. here) and it's actually very pleasant.

I'm going to stop my a store on the way home and see if I can't score some batteries, a mantle for my propane light(dog knocked over the light and broke the old one) and some milk for the kids.

The peach sangria recipe looks good...I'm getting sick of rum, plus we've polished off most of the 2 fifths Sam got Thursday

Real estate CAN be a good deal-forget about buying anything inside Loop 610 for less than a million, though.

what about Bellaire, between bellaire/beechnut newcastle area?... was told those houses were averaging around half mil. and up. there were older 1 flr homes going for 250/300k i believe (several reasons apply).

For now, that's true but people are buying up some of the older Bellaire homes to knock 'em down and put up a McMansion. I expect the days of affordable housing in Bellaire are numbered.

Where I used to work-Spring Branch-is perfectly positioned to gentrify next. It's just on the other side of Memorial on I-10 and it's on the near NW side.

I just couldn't wait for 15-20 years with a medical practice for that to happen