Note to New Members ×

Longboard suggestion

Skalpel

Hello :)

I always wanted to long board and every summer the wish comes up again and again. But the problem is, I really don’t know that much about this things..

This time I've put some money together, so I'll buy me a deck soon.

The thing is, I need suggestions. Now, I don’t want a city cruiser.. I like downhill carving (I’m sure you all know this video:

) I know it will be a long road until i can carve like that, but hey, the wish keeps burning in me.

So, I need a deck that is best suited for this kind of carving + an occasional drive to work or school, but downhill with sliding and control, that is the main wish….<o></o>

<o></o>

Any help would be awesome.<o></o>

cheers<o></o>

EVO is a great board....I can't stand them but it's a very good board the wedging dewedging thing that the evo has doesn't work for me but it's still one of the most common boards. The style is a little outdated, as far as how you approach turning but that doesn't stop Scoot Smith from winning races. One thing is true Learning to footbrake and drift on an EVO is much easier than a top mount and still a little easier than a drop through.

If you heart is set on an Evo, RII180's and Lime BigZigs make a combo that you can't really go wrong with but make sure you get a full face, kneepads and make some slide gloves...when you go fast protective equipment is more important than your board

as a side note some people find that the stock RII plate with is 50degrees is too twitchy dewedging can fix this problem but I would recommend a 42 or 35 degree plate instead

Don't forget to checkout Kebbek boards - http://www.kebbek.com/

I know you are in Slovenia - but check out the completes for sale at Mile High here in Colorado. It will give you an idea of some different setups at least.

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&sort=3a&page=1

And like Gecko said - get good safety gear, including a full-face helmet, before even thinking of going over 30 mph...leathers over 40.

Thank you both for the ideas and tips. To tell you the trouth, I do not have a death wish, so safety is definetly a priority. So, when I buy a deck with all the other parts, those parts include a full face helmet and other protective hear. Knee pads without doubt, sliding gloves anb perhaps elbow pads. Later, if this sport sticks (it will, without a doubt), then cometh the leather. Untill then I can use my leather jacket and I'll be a heavy metal longboarder :D Put on some torn jeans, a chain by my side and a leather jacket, that would turn some heads :)

Sadly, this sport is not well known in my country. I know there are longboarders, dont know any personaly and people dont even know what a longboard is, so I definetly will stand out :) But that is part of the fun :D

One more. The trucks. Should I buy (talking about Randal here) downhill or RII 180? I've read that downhills are incredably stable (those speed wobles look scary :) ) and if you loosen them up, they are ok for carving... So, what would be better?

Thanks again for the help. you guys are great

Check out Concrete Wave in Germany their prices seem in line with stateside and it's in euro's.

DON"T get Randal Downhills they don't turn and they are too narrow. Buy RII 180's and if they are too turny try changing bushings first and then switch to a 42 degree baseplate rear and then maybe front as well (depends on what you prefer but as speed climbs the 42 pletes will be nice)

BTW a good setup from Concrete Wave would be a

Madrid Drop 41

Randal RII 180mm

Lime Big Zigs, 76mm earthwing Superballs or Blue Avilas

my drop though is similar except with 42 degree plates

wobs are in your head and of course weak ankles but mostly in your head

Thank you both for the ideas and tips. To tell you the trouth, I do not have a death wish, so safety is definetly a priority. So, when I buy a deck with all the other parts, those parts include a full face helmet and other protective hear. Knee pads without doubt, sliding gloves anb perhaps elbow pads. Later, if this sport sticks (it will, without a doubt), then cometh the leather. Untill then I can use my leather jacket and I'll be a heavy metal longboarder :D Put on some torn jeans, a chain by my side and a leather jacket, that would turn some heads :)

Sadly, this sport is not well known in my country. I know there are longboarders, dont know any personaly and people dont even know what a longboard is, so I definetly will stand out :) But that is part of the fun :D

One more. The trucks. Should I buy (talking about Randal here) downhill or RII 180? I've read that downhills are incredably stable (those speed wobles look scary :) ) and if you loosen them up, they are ok for carving... So, what would be better?

Thanks again for the help. you guys are great

Randal Downhills are stable mostly due to the 35 or 28 degree baseplates - but they are only 160mm wide. Randal R-II's are a better width for downhill - 180mm - but come on a more turny / less stable 52 degree baseplate. You could buy both, and make some "franken randals", using the 180 hangars on the DH baseplates - plus you'd then have the 160mm hangars to put on the 52 degree baseplates to use as turnier carving trucks or for a second carving board...everybody needs a quiver dontcha know! :-)

Thanks for concrete wave link :) will definetly check it out. RII 180 are a better option, then..

How does a flat surface compare to a Evo surface (dont know how to describe it, sorry.. droped middle deck? :) )

RII's are better

Evo is a Drop deck very stable but reduced turning leverage, it drifts easilly in corners, harder to make stick in corners

if you look at the my two boards the one on the left is a Topmount not as stable, lots of leverage, sticks really well, harder to drift

the one on the right is a Dropthrough call it a mix of the other two

I really think that my first setup will be a Landyachtz evo with RII180 and Lime BigZigs.. the Randals and Limes keep poping up everywhere, so it will be a good choice I'm shure.. And the Evo.. well, I like it. I like the shape, the graphics.. the reviews are all positive.. :)

But thenagain its more then a month untill I buy it and things can change.. :)

not that there is anything wrong with an EVO RII Lime setup but do yourself a favor if you decide on it and buy a 42 or 35 degree plate (42 will likely be just fine) for the front of your EVO as a 50 degree front is a bit twitchy with that wedging

Hey again! :)

I have a few questions about the equpment.

Helmets. Really thinking about a full face one, so: What kind of helmets do you use? Motocross helmets?

and..

Do the spacers and speed rings come with the trucks/wheels?

tnx

Helmets depend on speed...I used a Bell Bellistic MTB helmet, though there is nothing wrong with using a MX helmet it's stronger and probably can be found for cheaper...most truck come with speed rings. Spacers are sometimes included with bearings though much less often now than a few years ago. It is worth the money to get steel spacers, the last forever and induce very smooth rolling