Note to New Members ×

Slalom training

Gecko

I made the comment in another thread that the tracks from a couple of hours slalom training are nearly as ego boosting as first tracks on fresh cord. The black dots are where the cones go

Skating Friday night with with Andrew was so much fun, the good thing is I was a full second faster on new wheels and cold legs, the bad thing (for my ego anyway) was that Andrew was a half second faster than me most of the night. I think I got within a quarter second of him by the end of the night. This morning I was sore...really really sore, especially in my hips and that was only from turning forward. There is no question that I will smoother this winter on snow than I was last, especially between this and DH...this is by far the best cross training that I have ever dnoe

post-507-141842258937_thumb.jpg

Damn, I so wish I could off my vanguard to someone right now.

I got a Pulse 40 and that thing is amazing to pump (i couldn't pump before that).

Now i want to get a slolam board and pair it up with some rtx/rts trucks - no need for precision trucks (i'm not at that level). Slolam board would be great for campus commuting too since i finally got myself back into school for a semester.

My boards have wheelbases that are too long 26-33 inches. slalom boards are are probably a lot easier to pump with the shorter wheel bases.

Right now i'm just happy that I can pump. I think trying to pump and dodge cones would be difficult, but good.

oh yeah, and the tracks in that picture are pretty cool. Putting lines like that on asphalt is pretty cool. It's like cutting a tree down with an axe is satisfying for the work, but doing it with a spoon would be much cooler - see lines in snow vs. lines on asphalt.

Are you going to the Farm race in CT?

I'm really getting into slalom. In the next 2 weeks, I'm going to find a front Radikal trucks which will double the value of my set up. Currently its an Axe II with a Bennett in the front and cheapo Trackers in the back.

Are you going to the Farm race in CT?

I'm really getting into slalom. In the next 2 weeks, I'm going to find a front Radikal trucks which will double the value of my set up. Currently its an Axe II with a Bennett in the front and cheapo Trackers in the back.

I was planning on it but I have to work most of Friday night and I think I will be too tired to ride across CT in the morning. My gear is packed though so if I feel OK I may go anyway

Keep the Bennett front and look for a rear traction truck (Rad, Airflow, Splitfire Chicken etc) There is nothing wrong with a Bennett and you will notice a traction rear more than a Rad in the front

an addendum to that there is a considerable difference in the turning feel between a spherical bearing truck and one without...Ride a RADICAL truck before you buy one. Ask Karl if you can try one of his, I did and it really opened my eyes as to what the feel...I'm not sure that I am ready for it yet but I will be at some point

i thought it was the other way around, getting the better front truck before the rear. Oh well, i guess i'll start looking at the others. I got to ride his board a bunch.

I really realized the difference when we set up a flat course to help with my pumping and his board made a world of difference, its unbelievable. I might ride his board at the race this weekend, so hopefully i won't DQ :D

my only goal is to not get last place. This rain is really pissing me off :barf:

i thought it was the other way around, getting the better front truck before the rear. Oh well, i guess i'll start looking at the others. I got to ride his board a bunch.

It really depends on what you have for a front truck...Bennett trucks are a big step above a "Stock" RTX or Indy front, Geezers and the like are a different matter

I really realized the difference when we set up a flat course to help with my pumping and his board made a world of difference, its unbelievable. I might ride his board at the race this weekend, so hopefully i won't DQ :D my only goal is to not get last place. This rain is really pissing me off :barf:

Just a FYI the race at the Farm is maxxed out on skaters for Dual Hybrid, I think GS still has space along with retro Slalom

yeah, unfortunatly I slept all day saturday after spending most of Friday night up trying to keep one kid/student out of jail and then dealing with a student who died in a car crash at 5am there was just no way I was gonna be driving anywhere

yeah, unfortunatly I slept all day saturday after spending most of Friday night up trying to keep one kid/student out of jail and then dealing with a student who died in a car crash at 5am there was just no way I was gonna be driving anywhere

Yeeesh...guess that's a valid excuse, huh! Sorry to hear about all that. It's all perspective. :(

Yeeesh...guess that's a valid excuse, huh! Sorry to hear about all that. It's all perspective. :(

yeah I haven't had a bad duty day in nearly 3 years since I left the carrier....friday made up for it in spades

that said Im with Willy who has the pics????

yeah I haven't had a bad duty day since in nearly 3 years since I left the carrier....friday made up for in in spades

that said Im with Willy who has the pics????

Gleb ran three excellent GS runs at the Farm, didn't finish last, and just plain looked smooth...what, three weeks after getting your first slalom board? Nice job brother! :-)

Thanks alot :) Its all with yours, Glenn's and Karl's help. Glenn's toe stops are sweet! Helps so much. The GS felt great and by the end, I could definitely feel like I could go faster and still stay in control. Love that GS since it feels so much like carving. I got a ton of work on the TS though.

Sorry you had to miss out on the racing, Gecko, especially with those circumstances. You going to Antrim? I'll be taping hopefully in 50 fps.

I'll post pictures and video up thursday morning.

Yikes, I never did ask why you were up the whole night.

yeah it was a rough night,

In lighter news- I've got some Limes coming for the back of my slalom setup, maybe I'll get the traction I want now!

great now you'r gonna be even faster:rolleyes:

axe 1, 2, 2.5, or 3? What do you guys recommend? I'm not gonna be competing or anything (don't really have friends that do this type of stuff and don't know of any venues in the area), and would probably double using this for some campus commuting. I'll also be running cones casually on my own or with a friend.

I figured i'd set it up with a Bennett 4.3 and an RTS or seismics for the rear.