Note to New Members ×

Slalom training

Gecko

I'm not gonna be competing or anything (don't really have friends that do this type of stuff and don't know of any venues in the area)...

uh...I think you can probably FIND some "friends" down that way! ;)

Even so, I train totally alone 95 percent of the time and compete a ton - and just hit up Google Earth and start scoping out spots - they are there. Give Sk8Kings a call and ask about their GS series. There is a "Pump Station Outlaw" GS in two days (8/23) in San Diego. Go check it out if you can - you'll learn a lot and really get to see (and probably try out) a bunch of different setups. Might be some board deals available there too!

More info - http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registration.asp?ContestID=381

...and...I think by "flexible" Gecko means "versatile", not that the board itself is soft flex...no? :)

yes versatile....I'm writing my last militay evaluation and I had used versatile 4 times so I was trying to find another word. Not a fan of trying to run cones on a flexible board

To expound, if you want to run cones (with people or solo) a hybrid slalom board will give you the most versatility between tight hybrid and gs (one-der board) and it's still useable in everyday skating...however if you are looking for a wiggle board that you can use for everyday skating more than cones a GS board is likely a better choice

Cool, thanks for the info. And, i'm glad you picked one of the ones I was eyeing. I was pretty much looking at the 2.5 and 3.

Also, what's the turn around time from Sk8kings? Are they made to order or do they have a few sitting around? I'd like to get one sooner rather than later.

I have a commuter board, so this will be mainly to run cones, and double for shorter distance commuting since it'll be easier to carry around than my pulse 40, which is pretty long and heavy.

get the 2.5 it has a really cool surface that locks your foot. Sk8kings has the decks pressed but they build each complete custom for you. Think of Richie Carasco as the slalom version of Bruce V. they are pretty quick about getting stuff out from my experience but I have never ordered a complete

Thanks for the advice Gecko.

I just ordered the Axe 2.5 last night. I picked the 21" WB for HS/GS.

I'm gonna be setting it up with Bennett 4.3s in the front and RTS-129 in the rear (was thinking about a Skandal, but I doubt that's neccessary since i'm not competing or anything). Got 30 cones too - i'm sure that'll be more than enough to have fun with.

Still trying to decide between Hot Spots or my 73mm speed vents. I guess i can fiddle around see what "feels" better. I can pump, but not slalom style pumping with the whole throwing your body and arms across the board side to side with more of a forward facing stance. I'm guessing smaller wheels will probably be easier to learn on.

Edit: Last question, i swear... haha. Do you think a Randal 125 with 35 base plate would work better for a rear truck than the RTS-129?

Wow, that was super quick service from Sk8kings. My board already came in. I don't have any trucks for it yet though. Didn't think they'd deliver it within 2 days. Then again, I am only 30 miles away from Fountain Valley, CA.

Wish they had a shop that i could walk into.

Edit: Last question, i swear... haha. Do you think a Randal 125 with 35 base plate would work better for a rear truck than the RTS-129?

I have both an RTS and a Randal like you mentioned, but have not had a chance to do a comparison between the two. My initial gut feel is that the 125 with the 35 degree baseplate is going to work better for GS type stuff, but again, I haven't done the comparison between the RTS and the Randal (yet). If you wanted to really go for it, you could try the 28 degree baseplate, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $ for the 7 more degrees of de-wedge. So far I have really liked the little Randals for GS-style riding.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're talking about a stock 125 right? If you are thinking about a Skandal, be very careful running it with the narrow (I belive 106 mm) spacing, and large wheels, like the 73mm 'vents you mentioned. Truck-bite can be an issue, so make sure you check beforehand...

Andrew (xxguitarist) and I set a new course this evening...at least a second (probably 2-3 when we get it wired) faster than the one we've been running most of the summer the middle offset has the option for a double pump :eek: that if I can get it right will really make it fast

Well, i finally got to try out my axe and... I suck. haha

I'm still figuring out how to pump the thing. I guess i've been spoiled by longboards. I can pump my pulse 40, my friend's supercharger, and my vanguard (finally), but the pump on the axe is kind of eluding me.

I'm trying to get used to how squirelly the Bennett 4.3 feels and a shorter board with a shorter wheel base. there were a few times i could really feel the acceleration from my pumps and as soon as i tried to think about what i was doing, i lost it and it disappeared.

I'm not quite used to pumping with my rear foot over the back trucks. Normally when i pump, my rear foot is more toward the middle of the board. My rear foot usually pumps heel-toe. I need to get used to the forward facing stance i'm using with the axe. I also put a toe stopper in (bushing and washer only) because I stepped off of the front of the board and almost killed myself (i'm used to using one on my pulse).

Time to go watch some slalom pumping videos. :lurk:

Edit: on a side note, I think I just might have to replace that RTS with a 125 randal or a stable 130 seismic. I switched out the RTS on my pulse with a stable 155mm seismic and it feels so much better - had to get soom lighter springs though (i'm a light scrawny guy).

I have both an RTS and a Randal like you mentioned, but have not had a chance to do a comparison between the two.

I finally had a chance to do some "head to head testing" of the RTS, and the Randal 125 with a 35 degree plate, and the hanger fliped. Set up a short GS course with some decent offsets, and ran both trucks through them a few times.

I honestly couldn't tell a huge difference between the two for running cones. The Randal is definitely more versatile with the option to flip the hanger, and the different baseplate options.

My favorite GS setup on any sort of course with offsets that I might have to "work" for is still a six-wheeler.

Edit: on a side note, I think I just might have to replace that RTS with a 125 randal or a stable 130 seismic. I switched out the RTS on my pulse with a stable 155mm seismic and it feels so much better - had to get soom lighter springs though (i'm a light scrawny guy).

Interesting. How do you have the RTS set up? (Wedging / bushings). On that note, how is your Bennett set up too?

Are you unhappy with the RTS for GS style carving, or just pumping?

Interesting. How do you have the RTS set up? (Wedging / bushings). On that note, how is your Bennett set up too?

Are you unhappy with the RTS for GS style carving, or just pumping?

Not too sure on what my de-wedging is at since it's mounted on the kick tail (see axe) - but it's two soft angled wedge risers (khiros) and a regular flat riser 1/4". Bushings on the RTS are a Yellow Khiro barrel and the standard black cone from tracker (i'm 140 lbs) - same setup i have on my pulse 40.

It was ok for pumping on my pulse 40, but i had a seismic sitting around and decided to give it a try with some softer springs. So, i swapped it all out, and the seismic just felt better for me. No big deal though, i'll just work with the RTS for now, i've been watching some slalom pumping videos and figuring out what the difference in my motion is and foot placement. Kind of wish the axe was a little bit wider - I wear a size 11.5 to 12 shoe in vans.

My LDP isn't so bad, i can pump for about 6-8 miles, haven't tried to do anything longer, i need to find a bike trail for that.

As far as my slalom pumping, it's mostly on flat terrain, depending on where i'm staying - like right now it'll probably be in a parking garage. Last night it was on a very mild hill - see 1-2% or so.

Not too sure on what my de-wedging is at since it's mounted on the kick tail (see axe) - but it's two soft angled wedge risers (khiros) and a regular flat riser 1/4". Bushings on the RTS are a Yellow Khiro barrel and the standard black cone from tracker (i'm 140 lbs) - same setup i have on my pulse 40.

You may want to play around with the de-wedging. I believe that Richie usually sets up the Axes with 3 soft Khiro wedges, trying to get the kingpin on the RTS close to verticle.

I'm surprised you use a yellow barrel. I've got 40+ lbs on you, and I rarely use that hard of bushings on my slalom boards, so you may want to experiment with different bushings also. I don't own an LDP, so It's possbile that harder bushings work well there..

You may want to play around with the de-wedging. I believe that Richie usually sets up the Axes with 3 soft Khiro wedges, trying to get the kingpin on the RTS close to verticle.

I'm surprised you use a yellow barrel. I've got 40+ lbs on you, and I rarely use that hard of bushings on my slalom boards, so you may want to experiment with different bushings also. I don't own an LDP, so It's possbile that harder bushings work well there..

I'm not completely sure what i'm aiming for with the rear of a slalom setup, so I don't quite know what i'm supposed to be doing as far as setting it up. Guess i'll try a little bit more de-wedging and a blue or red barrel bushing.

Also, do i want the rear truck to move around a little bit more or hardly at all?

I've been watching some hybrid slalom vids and it looks like a lot of cross-under technique.

And, on another note, i got kicked out of the parking garage - stupid ass security. I was using my LDP board making some laps, and going down carving (6 floors- fun :1luvu:). The idiot almost killed me by completely cutting me off and getting right in front of me. F%&$ing douche bag, it's not a bike, i don't have instantaneous brakes... They don't even have signs posted saying "No skating, etc. etc."

I'm not completely sure what i'm aiming for with the rear of a slalom setup, so I don't quite know what i'm supposed to be doing as far as setting it up. Guess i'll try a little bit more de-wedging and a blue or red barrel bushing.

Also, do i want the rear truck to move around a little bit more or hardly at all?

Like Gecko said, most people try to make the rear truck on a slalom board "Less Responsive". On my GS board, when I run it with a single rear truck (Airflow 110mm) I run 2 89a Retro bushings. A "Jimz" shaped bottom, and a stim shaped top. It's probably de-wedged 5-10 degrees, though I'm not sure, as my GS board has a kicktail similar to your Axe

Both Gecko and I weigh more than you, and use what appears to be softer bushings (since Gecko says his Venom feels like 90a), that's why I was wondering about you using the yellow barrel. Try out the softer bushings. Like you mentioned, with the narrowness of the Axe compared to your LDP board, there will be less leverage to get harder bushings to turn, so the softer bushings might feel better.

I've been watching some hybrid slalom vids and it looks like a lot of cross-under technique.

Definitely. Slalom turns on a skateboard remind me a lot of quick, cross-under slalom-style turns on a snowboard.