Note to New Members ×

Carveboarding

Radial

I know this has been done before but I just want to say that I have been having a great time with my Carveboard. I actually have both the T Board and the Carveboard.

They repaved the road above my house and there is almost no traffic. I have been spending about an hour a day out there switching between the two boards and arguing with the local Sector 9 kids about who is having more fun. I have been thinking that the T board is a little more consistent with the actual alpine turn. I wish the board was a little longer and maybe narrower....

I got the video from the last Timberline camp and I know what I have to work on which is just about everything.

One advantage to being old is that my daughter who just turned 16 has been drafted as the lift driver..... Not as good for the fitness but much easier on hot summer afternoons.

Back to Tline for four days this weekend. Too bad I won't get to hang with my buddy the Snake Charmer.....

Hey Radial,

Im thinking of getting another board for summer carving. Im currently on a sector 9 thats about 39 inches long, and in my opinion way too stiff for my weight.

The T board looks pretty crazy, but according to their site its "the closest thing to snow". How is it when youre on flat land or trying to skate uphill (god forbid :) )?

How do the Carveboard (pneumatic tires, no?) and T boards compare?

Im really not an extreme carver, though I do learn quick. This past season was my first on hardboots, but Ive been longboarding for a couple years now.

And btw, a lift driver? Genius. Pure Genius. Need to get me one of those.

I had them both too, but sold T-bord away. For me it was not so much snowy feeling and either skate turn feeling. I'm still fighting between Carveboard and Flexboarz to decide which is closer to carving feeling, i think something between them :cool:

I added eggshocks to my Carveboard and also dewedged slightly tail and it made it so much more caving like feeling.

It is funny, but I really can't decide. I have been going for about 40 minutes a day for the last month. We take both boards and .have been switching back and forth.

The T board is quite a bit lighter which is nice for getting back up the hill. This seems silly but the amount I ride has to do with how tired and hot I am on a summer afternoon standing around on new ashpalt.

I went to the Snow Performance camp earlier this summer and based on the comments and video I am working on starting the turns earlier and making the carve at the top instead of the bottom of the turn. This whole concept was a huge insight to me.

Both boards work pretty well for this drill but I actually think the feeling especially on the heelside is more accurate with the T board.

I am really really worried about getting hurt while practicing on skateboards for the real sport which is alpine snowboarding. On the T Board if you miss a turn you can run down to the bottom of the hill without worrying about speed wobbles. From my expirence, this seems like a pretty big saftey factor since I am trying new things and miss a lot of turns.

The Carveboard looks cooler and I actually think the amount of lean or angle away from the board that you can ride might be higher. It looks that way anyway.

I really think either board is great for fitness and keeping your mind in the game during the off season.

Hope this helps.

If you coulkd pick just one board, which would you go for?

There is not such rule for winter boards, so why to have for summer :eek:

But if i would be forced to take one board, hmmm....

It would be my Gecko with GOG's, but Carveboard with egg shocks comes to next on line :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

The T board looks pretty crazy, but according to their site its "the closest thing to snow". How is it when youre on flat land or trying to skate uphill (god forbid :) )?

Lately I've been spending some time on a T-board with Indy rubber wheels, and it's a lot of fun. To me, it feels fairly similar to an alpine carve, pressuring the nose to initiate and gradually shifting weight backwards to carve it out. Never been on a skateboard, and I was carving steeps in 20 mins on this. Very smooth, very turny. Actually it carves too effortlessly compared to on snow, and learning to skid is the challenge if you want to be able to stop without J-turning or stepping off. The softboot-like low stance angles (necessary to maintain lateral control without boots and bindings) tend to put your feet in dangerously awkward positions if you do step off at speed. Oh and, pavement is, like, pretty hard.

As for skating uphill, or even flats, with the rubber wheels you're better off walking. I haven't tried the urethane wheels yet.