Note to New Members ×

Board Size

paappraiser

I was always taught that you take your size in inches and multiply that by 2.54 to get it into centimeters. Then for beginners you want a board about 90% of your height, so you multiply it by .9. This is just what i was taught, so if someone wants to correct me, go ahead.

(Inches)(2.54)(.9)

Self quote:

Go for the big board! Bigger = better :P

Rule of thumb: If your board is within 7.5% of your height in either direction, it's all good (for alpine).

For freestyle, if it's around 80% of your height, all good.

Freeride: 85-90% of height.

Take these rules with a ... cup of salt, wouldya?

In reality, I think it has a lot more to do with the specific board flex, riding style, predicted terrain, etc.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by kirtap

I was always taught that you take your size in inches and multiply that by 2.54 to get it into centimeters. Then for beginners you want a board about 90% of your height, so you multiply it by .9. This is just what i was taught, so if someone wants to correct me, go ahead.

(Inches)(2.54)(.9)

Anybody got a 157cm GS board that'll handle my 175lbs they're selling? I gotta cancel my order for a Madd 170.

Poot, I was gonna get one of those 178 O'Sin 4807's too...

LOL

T.

Originally posted by kirtap

(Inches)(2.54)(.9)

so a what if your not a beginner?

nononono....nothing's .wrong. with a long board...

Hell, I'd love to try a 240cm board sometime....nice long, straight and steep cruiser...maybe 20m sidecut...maybe 25m...*Neuffy dreams - but it just wouldn't be versatile enough.

From what I've heard, the Madd 170s are good for quite a range of technique and weights...

Anyone who flat-out rejects a board due to length (unless it's something like >350 cm or <100cm well, shouldn't.

I'm 186 cm, and this last season rode boards from 154cm to 163 cm, and can tell that I want at least 10 cm more from the 163...but a stiffer board would compensate for length (possibly) as would design. I think. lol...someone just answer all the questions and stop the thinking...

The Madd 170s have an 10.5 sidecut, don't they? That's a pretty medium sidecut.

Of course, it all comes down to what you want to do. If you want to go faster, a longer board almost always helps in stability. But I've heard the Madd 158s sorta break that rule...

Originally posted by Neuffy

Self quote:

Go for the big board! Bigger = better :P

Rule of thumb: If your board is within 7.5% of your height in either direction, it's all good (for alpine).

For freestyle, if it's around 80% of your height, all good.

Freeride: 85-90% of height.

Take these rules with a ... cup of salt, wouldya?

In reality, I think it has a lot more to do with the specific board flex, riding style, predicted terrain, etc.

7.5%?

So for the 5'10" that would be anything between 163-190

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by Neuffy

nononono....nothing's .wrong. with a long board...

S'up Neuffy. Just between us, I never use the word "Poot" in a serious context. If I'd have been serious about changing my board plans due to the length formula, I would have used more serious language like "Fiddlesticks" or something equally heinous.

T.

;)

I think of it like this:<ul><li><p>Board size (and sidecut) is determined by the size of the turns you want to make, and the speed you want to go.<li><p>Board stiffness is determined by how heavy you are.</ul><p>OK, that's a massive oversimplification, and I can think of 3 things just off the top of my head that confuse the issue. But my central point is that you're asking the wrong question for determining board length.

ya, the Poot was something of a giveaway.

ya, Baka's the most correct. heh.

I'd say that, within a given style of riding, on the same type of snow, speed determines length and weight determines stiffness. But only within one style of riding and one type of snow.

Guest AlpentalRider

Based on your weight and height profiles, if the individuals have never ridden alpine before, I would make the following assumptions:

They will be riding groomed blues and greens to practice technique and learn how to properly carve.

They will not be attempting to EC or do moguls, or bomb down hills. They will be practicing doing full C turns and maybe some banana turns.

So with this in mind, I would set them up with medium flex boards with a sidecut radius of around 9-11m, and a length of around 160 - 170.

This should provide a good stable platform for the speeds and type of turns they will encounter on that terrain.

If they are anything but beginners, then the board choice will entirely depend on riding style, snow conditions, speed they carry, how lively they prefer a board, etc.

Guest Randy S.

Here's how the height to size conversion really is supposed to work.

Take your height in inches and multiply by 3. Put a "cm" after that number and you are good to go. I'm 5'10". That's 70". I ride a 210. Bob's your uncle! :D

Take your height in inches X 5 and put $ in front of this number. This is the average price of your boards you will need to fill your quiver. Now take the amount of money you have to spend on your quiver add $1000 and divide the above number above into this amount. If this number is less than 3 and you weigh more than 175lbs you need a 170 , 175 and a 178ish boards to complete you quiver. If this number is greater than 3 and you weigh more than 175 lbs you will need 168, 173 ,178, 185 and a 195 ish boards for your quiver. If this number is around 4 and you weigh less than 175 lbs you will need a 163, 168 , 173 and a 178 boards. If you ride in powder and are older than 40 you can get a credit for adding a All Mountain board to your quiver. Sorry for such a complex answer but I just been working on my taxes last week and am still a little screwed up in the way things are figured based on senseless formulas. :D

Guest Pre School Rider

Oy,am I in trouble here! My shortest (modern,hardboot compatible) board is a 148cm,my longest is 200cm.I have 27 boards that can be ridden with hardshells.The average size of a board in my quiver is 162cm. Six of my boards have neither the 4x4 nor 3D hole patterns.3 have the 3D system,but the average age of those boards is 9 years old.Half of my quiver is from board companies other than my sponsor's company. Am I eligible for a tax refund for my boards? I'm SO confused....

In alpine you should let the size of the the turns you would like to and your ablity choose you board length and sidecut. You should let your weight, height and ability determine the flex. Don't get a headache trying to math out the conversion from inches to cm, in america with our total need to dominate the world we don't need to know how to do this, in a few years the world will have to figure out how to convert to our system anyways. Just pick basic turn size and go from there.