Note to New Members ×

what the wheel?

Coloradoking

I've a single dually truck board switch, so that it was set up how you described. I'm surprised you liked it, I hated it.

48 inch vert lam with modified Randals, so it was riding with 8 77mm wheels was probably the best time I've had on a longboard.

Pumping was difficult, but you couldn't get any of the wheels to pick up! Unfortunately, it was a fairly irritating double pin tip deck.

The stability was fantastic. I've got some Gullwings that I'll probably cut down and run duallies on my mini cruiser in the back, and leave my Randal alone.

6 wheeler DH boards, based a lot on luge setup (extra truck in front), were especially popular for extra traction before there was such a variety of good reverse kingpin trucks. Same deal with 6 wheeler slalom boards though the extra truck is in the back on a slalom board. Traction being the primary issue...they are less needed now that truck design (and set up) and especially wheel design has progressed

Many comps outlaw 6-wheelers now too - slalom Worlds last year chief among them...big flap about it last year but it has died down a bit recently.

I'm in the camp that thinks, for racing anyway, that a skateboard is defined as one deck, two trucks and four wheels...unless there is a separate 6-wheeler division and enough riders to make it interesting. :cool:

Agreed - but I did find that one of the things 6-wheelers excel at is steep turny off-camber GS or big HY courses and/or on rough pavement. Just a lot more confidence inspiring in high-speed high-G turns when the surface is not so good. But since they're not allowed in most races the point is kind of moot.

I've honestly never seen that in the front before, again, I've only ridden switch on one and seen them ridden switch. Never seen one intended to be ridden "backwards"

not backwards, stable...DH boards are meant to be rode with a 70-30 weight bias to the front...slalom boards are about 65-35 to the rear. Luges have the majority of their weight at or below the axle line to extra traction on the fron helps to keep the front end from washing out (first time you ride a classic luge and you don't sit far enough forward you will understand)

When it comes to anything 25ish, I really do like snow better. Things get softer.

25mph is boring and slow try 50mph :eplus2:

pavement isn't very forgiving like snow.

yes but it's soo much easier to hold a line on a skate board at speed than it is on snow...plus theres the fact that leathers are a requirement at speed on a skateboard

Agreed - but I did find that one of the things 6-wheelers excel at is steep turny off-camber GS or big HY courses and/or on rough pavement. Just a lot more confidence inspiring in high-speed high-G turns when the surface is not so good. But since they're not allowed in most races the point is kind of moot.

Since I spend a lot more time skating for fun, than racing, I said screw the ISSA / race organizers and built a schwheeler anyway. I wanted to see how the additional traction would feel. I figgered I could spend more tha $100 to get a precision / traction rear truck, Or I could spend $17 on another RTS, and drill a some holes... Gotta say it's one of my favorite boards to tool around on...

post-114-141842257619_thumb.jpg

post-114-14184225762_thumb.jpg

post-114-141842257621_thumb.jpg

Hey Skully, what's your wheel wear like on the schwheeler? specificly the rear wheels? I only ask because I burn through Limes like PBR at a highschool party if/when I try to Slalom with them. Nice Quiver BTW I don't dodge cones enough to justify more than a HS board and a stack of Cones...Downhill/freeriding is another matter:eplus2:

Hey Skully, what's your wheel wear like on the schwheeler? specificly the rear wheels? I only ask because I burn through Limes like PBR at a highschool party if/when I try to Slalom with them. Nice Quiver BTW I don't dodge cones enough to justify more than a HS board and a stack of Cones...Downhill/freeriding is another matter:eplus2:

Wheel wear on the schwheeler is not bad at all, but I think you're a bigger boy than me, that may be why the limes hold up OK for me. Plus I've got multiple cone-knocking-down boards, so I put less miles on each one. I could easly run lemons on the back without any traction loss, but I don't have a pair of harder 75/76mm wheels to run on the front if I run 4 lemons on the back. (I guess I could run a pair of limes on the front, just to confuse people....) I use the schwheeler more for cruising / carving / pretending to GS than acutal GS with cones though, so that could make a difference in wheel wear also. Plus, there's twice the contact patch on the back, so they should wear half as fast....

Believe it or not, the only things I purchased new in that photo were the top two decks, and a RTS/X pair. Everthing else except for hardware / risers etc. was acquire used / traded / finagled / purchased at a huge discount, and the top deck was purchased from a local builder / friend, so it was very affordable.

The middle / hybrid board is currently set up for my 7yo to ride with the softest bushings possible, but it could easily be a cone-knocking-down-quiver-killer if needed.

well I'm about 200lbs but I can cone out a set of limes in an hour of slalom skating. I do have a Chindy so I'm sure that helps I roll on Lemons and Oranges or green and yellow Hotspots...I still want to add a set of the new PPS's and maybe a set of the new thaned Hotspots to my wheelquiver