Note to New Members ×

what the wheel?

Coloradoking

retro zig zag wheels have gone a wee bit downhill, i went through 2 packs at bola's shop trying to get 4 good ones, the first pack only had one good wheel, the second had three and a bad one, THEY NEED TO STEP THEIR GAME UP, i'm going to switch to abec gumballs when i need new wheels now, the big zigs/zig zags aren't worth the trouble.

post-7126-141842256723_thumb.jpg

You've got a lame shop with seconds.

I just bought a pair for my arbor, all 4 were perfect.

Well, I did rub some paint off one "Carving" down the side of a curb. Honestly, ZigZags, even factory seconds are going to be better than anything else. What are the flaws?

not necessarily....from discussions on the Fish with people I trust and have skated with across the continent (this includes BC) there seems to have been a bad batch of Zig Zags and Big Zigs out of AEND sometime in the last year (I have a set of 70mm Pink Zigs that were wobbly until I got them broken in (slide on them a bunch and eventually they will not wobble) but in truth at my weight I shouldn't be on Pink Zigs to begin with. I've heard the same story with Lemons and Limes, 66mm, 70mm and even BZ's...

and BTW Bola's shop is anything but a "Lame Shop"

well me personally, once i got a good set i was fine, riding them they do chunk a little bit easily, but my problem was just how many packs i went through trying to get a clean set, it just doesn't give the company a good track record with me, they ride okay but that kind of sloppy worksmanship doesn't look very good :AR15firin:boxing_sm

I'm on Pink Zigs, what do you weigh?

about 210 and I was downhilling with them...right now my dropthrough is one 81a Avila's (75mm's) and my freeride board is on Lime 66mm I also have a set of 80a Hotspots (69mm) that I use on one or the other depending on the hills.

10 boards in my skate quiver how about you?

Oldschool Roskopp Face, Indy 159's IPS Speedbowl's

Andrew K 33" Pumper/GS board, Indy 1209's Red 66mm Zigs

Fullbag HS, GX 90mm Indyfront Chindy rear, Wheels vary depending on course

Coldwar Openheimer, Indy 169's, Earthwing Slide A's

60inch Vlam Dancer, Angel R7's, 70mm Pink Zigs

Gravity HC47, Indy 149's, 71mm Red Gators

Andrew K Dropthrough, 42*RII 180's, Blue Avila's

Gravity PS35, Ace55 trucks, OJ3's

Earthwing Supercharger, Tracker Fastracks, Fishballs (Lime powerballs)

Andrew K Topspeed, Indy 196's, 66mm Lime Zigs

The last 3 are the boards I skate the most with the Dropthough following closely

Yes I have too many boards, I'm gifting the Hyper Carve to my younger brother, I don't skate it anymore since I got my Supercharger

Not much into skateboarding, the only 4 wheel things I like have 8 cylinders and fiberglass mufflers.

Due to downsizing, all I've got left is my Arbor Pocket Rocket.

It's not flexy, not big enough, and doesn't ride great, but I love the thing so dearly.

It's got Randalls on it right now, with Pink ZigZags as I mentioned earlier.

It carves wherever I need it to, which is probably why I like it so much, I don't even have to bother with the street, I can just ride it on the sidewalk and only worry about cars slowly backing out of driveways. It doesn't feel as satisfying after hardbooting, the g's are so great, skateboarding feels kinda weak. BUT, living in SoCal, I can do it in year round.

It also cost me next to nothing.

If you're sour on big zigs, there are a couple of lesser-known alternatives worth considering:

• 77mm Landyachtz Hawgs - I ride them on my vanguard - smoothe, grippy and centerset so you can flip them for more even wear
  • Earthwing 76mm Superballs - Don't own a set but I've ridden them - with a 59mm contact patch they might be the grippiest big wheel out there. They've just been released in 66mm diameter too.

Oh yeah . . . fwiw both of these wheels are black and look pretty badass.

I've ridden on some wheels 6.5cm contact patch, no clue on diameter, durometer, or brand. The only way I figured the contact patch was comparing the worn area to the diameter of my 65's.

They were ancient things, doubt they were even urethane, any guess what they might have been?

They rode fine if you like going as slowly as possible, the bearings weren't too awful, the wheels were just soft and huge.

I tell you what, DH is so scary on a dinky little board..I wouldn't mind a piece of chewing gum wrapped around my bearings as wheels.

none of the boards I downhill on have wheelbases shorter than 31". Flex of the 3 are Soft (deep carving but slow or it gets twitchy), Med (the board I spend the most amount of downhill time on) and Stiff (when I'm right at the point of scaring the crap out of myself I use my drop through) at my weight I can make nearly any wheel stick it's getting them to drift and not chuck me that's the issue

Well, I meant I wouldn't mind having some tiny wheels as well.

My board is really just set up for riding the more gentle places in my neighborhood. It's great for the people slalom.

My experience is that a smaller wheel seems to allow for more control when things get hairy....however they also have less grip which means one needs to be comfy drifting and such...disadvantages of course are rougher ride, slower and lastly again less grip...however if the first isn't an issue the other two are manageable by me at the moment anyway. I need to work on my tuck (to get me going faster) and drifting is FUN

Just as a follow up - any of the few minor problems I've had so far with any of my Zigs (been racing on them almost exclusively) has been taken care of no questions asked by Abec11/Retro...they even ship me the new wheel before I send them the old one, or even just let me KEEP the old one.

As an option - Seismic is pouring a new 'thane recently called Black Ops...inital word is it is very good.

mmmmmm...urethane products!

Rick, if you are looking for a sticky rear wheel for hairball TS/HS you might want to check out the 66mm EarthWing Superballs...nearly as hard and fast as Lemon Zigs with lots more traction

Cool - I think my local shop has some of those...maybe even to demo. I've been buying wheels like crazy this spring, but what's a few more, right?

Got TWO sets of 1980 vintage NOS green UFO double radials (not the Saucer dubcons) of the bay for about $60 each set...one for the 1978 pool deck to ride - one for display. Been looking for them since about 1999!