Note to New Members ×

Whistler Expression Session 2008, mini WES

BlueB

So my parents were up on Whistler on Sunday (Squamish locals). They called last night to tell me about all the awesome carvers on the hill and how much I would have enjoyed riding with you guys... uggh

Well done guys, apparently you put on quite a show!!!

man, I wish I had dropped the dough to catch a flight for the weekend...oh well, my cash had to be saved up for my trip next week to CUBA!!!

-Gord

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again guys. You are all awesome. Not a problem Dave R for mistaking me as Crucible - George. We are both of Filipino origin just like Dave* said last time at Grouse Nite Ride, we have the highest number of ethnic carvers in BC, Ruwi+George=2, waiting for more to join us but could be a challenge. Everytime I ride with you guys I always make sure I'll pause and watch lift riders turn their heads down, left, right and twist back following your carves. I wish I met you guys earlier. But never too late at 52 I will keep on doing on. So far no major smash yet.:)

My office mate Richard after trying my 4WD is now contemplating of having a carving set up. Let's try setting him up next season.

Cheers,

ruwi:biggthump

Thanks again guys. You are all awesome. Not a problem Dave R for mistaking me as Crucible - George. We are both of Filipino origin just like Dave* said last time at Grouse Nite Ride, we have the highest number of ethnic carvers in BC, Ruwi+George=2, waiting for more to join us but could be a challenge.

Sorry about that, I think I've met each of you only once.

later,

Dave R.

I am glad to see everyone had a good time on sunday.

Gear destruction- three days of hero groom have toasted another set of pants , another set wafer thin on the left hip.

hi guys

sorry for the delayed post but my new skateboard and new bicycle arrived within an hour of each other on monday so i had other priorities.

first and foremost i hope SKATEGOAT is feeling better. as you say the snow conditions are tricky at whistler as the snow is more like wet concrete than the light fluffy champagne snow in the cascades or the rocky mountains further east. i'm glad you were able to get back out there later on sunday.

thanks to mr_roboteye for letting me try his burton team issue factory prime 185. we had a chuckle when looking at the sidewall and noticing that it was indistinguishable from a prior wcr sidewall of similar vintage! the burton team issue rode great (stiffer nose than the wcr but overall a very damp and FAST ride.) if you are ever dumb enough to sell it let me know.

like Dave* i had more fun watching all the different (but equally skillful) styles of the crew than i did riding myself. at one end of the spectrum we had the smooth, gentle, carving on eggshells old school race style feathered edge changes (think thomas prugger in super g mode) of mr_roboteye to the quick, abrupt lightning fast edge changes of blueB (think nicholas conte in freecarving mode.) Dave* defies description but at no time did he ever relinquish the sidecut to his snowboard--the most ACTIVE carver i know--Dave* (aka BOARD BENDER) turns when HE wants to turn not when the board wants to turn. i'm not exaggerating--just ask all the whiplash victims on the the chairlift!

my highlight of the day was less memorable. i don't recall which run it was on but it was on one of the many fast and steep race course style runs in the orange chair area. i had just crested a steep transition and upon landing i drove hard heelside across the fall line--unfortunately a skier who was behind me decided to straightline it and air off the knoll. luckily he landed before impact otherwise the ski tips would have hit me instead of my boots. one of his skis left an imprint on my rear cant which explains how my rear inserts were stripped. it was sheer drudgery having to snowboard down a steep 40ish degree pitch with only one binding securely attached to the board. luckily i have been skiing since 1962 and was able to "ski" my snowboard back down to the chairlift with only my front foot securely attached. i knew all that hot dogging on the outside edges of my skiis back in the 70's would come in handy one day!

btw Dave* i have some spare ballistic nylon pieces you can shoegoo to your threadbare snowboard pants. i've been replacing the ballistic nylon patch on my snowboard pants' heelside hip after every season. i must have extended the life of my pants by at least 5 years by not having to replace them annually like you do. the patched pants can be machine washed in cold water but not machine dried as the shoegoo may melt in a hot dryer.

further to Dave* and mr_roboteye's discussion about the wrist protection and abrasion resistance of my unique asymetrical gloves during our pleasant lunchtime conversation in the roundhouse, please see the attached photos. the front hand glove has a removable liner for laundry day with a hard plastic spine from an ordinary rollerblade wristguard duct taped to the outside shell of the glove (the "front" hand you put down on heelsides (protects the wrist when it is bent at 90 degrees)) the back hand glove is a burton RIOT slalom/gatebashing glove with the stock removable plastic armor which can be boiled in water until soft and then molded to the exact shape of your wrist and forearm (the "back" hand you put down on toesides (protects the wrist when it is aligned with the forearm at 180 degrees)) it would have been too time consuming to explain to mr_roboteye how to attach 4 hole f2 bindings onto a 3 hole burton board so i'll post some pics and details next week when i'm not so preoccupied with my new toys.

apologies to GTANNER as these aren't the type of pics you want to see but YA SHOUDA BIN THERE.

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

post-7030-141842256703_thumb.jpg

post-7030-141842256706_thumb.jpg

I'm fine now but I have a history of concussions (4-5 of them, maybe a couple more I can't remember <G>) so I needed to be careful. The crash on the Prior really took me by surprise. I was really enjoying the carve on it but on lower G.S., the pitch just before you get to Harmony chair I dove too aggressively into a toeside and I could actually see the nose fold in front of me.

On Sunday, I was actually out on skis. I only took about 10 runs and called it a day. Glad you guys had a good day and I will be back soon. My cousin lives in Whistler so I have an excuse to visit.

BTW, who is Roy. I went to demo the Prior at Fanatyko with thoughts of buying it but it had big strips of tape on it marked "Do not Sell" and "Roy".

I'm fine now but I have a history of concussions (4-5 of them, maybe a couple more I can't remember <g>) so I needed to be careful. The crash on the Prior really took me by surprise. I was really enjoying the carve on it but on lower G.S., the pitch just before you get to Harmony chair I dove too aggressively into a toeside and I could actually see the nose fold in front of me.

On Sunday, I was actually out on skis. I only took about 10 runs and called it a day. Glad you guys had a good day and I will be back soon. My cousin lives in Whistler so I have an excuse to visit.

BTW, who is Roy. I went to demo the Prior at Fanatyko with thoughts of buying it but it had big strips of tape on it marked "Do not Sell" and "Roy".

hi skategoat

Roy is CarvingScooby the quiver builder. that was just ONE of the boards he bought after the lifts closed on sunday. he is to snowboards what imelda marcos is to shoes.

</g>

I'm fine now but I have a history of concussions (4-5 of them, maybe a couple more I can't remember <G>) so I needed to be careful. The crash on the Prior really took me by surprise. I was really enjoying the carve on it but on lower G.S., the pitch just before you get to Harmony chair I dove too aggressively into a toeside and I could actually see the nose fold in front of me.

I had 3 major hit in life and 5 times on my BELL helmet in 2 seasons and finally hair cracked it on the last month of this season.

Same experienced when tailing Tenorman (w/ busted binding) on a high angle BEAR PAW run on the way to GARBANZO EXPRESS but this time was on slow speed and to slow to switch from heel to toe. SMACK left side of my DARK VADER skull and warp me neck on impact. Good thing helmet had thicker meat on the side and stop my neck bending to far. Till now problem turning me head and crackling sound when it does :freak3:

New Look on the slope (can't find bright color:p) -----------> Hmmm...I wonder how do I fit all that hair.....:D Cheers

post-6136-141842257142_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842257144_thumb.jpg

hi mr_roboteye

attached are pics of the f2 binding disk mounted onto a 3 hole burton board. you just need 2 large flange washers if you mount near the reference stance or just 1 if you deviate slightly. it is readily apparent upon inspection that this only works if you are near the reference stance because you need the insert(s) to align underneath the large opening that houses the f2 binding faceplate anchor (which is rendered unusable by the large flange washer(s.) the lack of the faceplate just means that the mounting bolts will be exposed and slightly more snow will accumulate--not a big deal.

since the disk is mounted slightly off-center you can easily recenter since the f2 toe and heel blocks can be adjusted independently (unlike the single screw adjustment of rental style burton bindings which always keeps the toe and heel pieces centered on the mounting disk.) also note that this "recentering" will shift the f2 binding postion slightly tailward or noseward depending on the original bias (toe or heel) of the mounting disk. the 2 washerless phillips screws can be thought of as forming a diagonal. you can choose a positively sloped or negatively sloped configuration depending on which way you want the binding position to move when finalizing the binding location (of both bindings in terms of width and setback.) it may sound complicated but once you fiddle around with it for a few seconds the optimum configuration will be intuitively obvious.

for the benefit of Dave* i have also attached a pic of a trident binding with "primitive" suspension provided by a skateboard bushing. i have lots of unused skateboard bushings you can have if you want to do this with your trident bindings--i know these are your favorite bindings also. oops, i meant second favorite after bombers lol.

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

post-7030-141842257213_thumb.jpg

post-7030-141842257216_thumb.jpg

post-7030-141842257218_thumb.jpg

Ola Tenor,

Thanks for the pic,

On my old trident Rattraps I just used used some of my favorite 1/8th rubber gasket material with some G10/Micarta slabs I had laying around .

The skateboard bushings look much tidier and probably give more.

Great idea, I think I might have some oldies kicking around too.

Dave*