Note to New Members ×

Cypress crew to invade Grouse!

BlueB

For sure I will be there too. This will be awesome. Hope that Doug is back from Whistler so he can make it there too. Met Gordon Stead last Saturday and he is also a carver at Grouse. He ask me if I can teach him carving, I gave him all what I learned from you guys and he is convinced that they are the right technique. He is so frustrated that there isn't much carvers around to learn from them. I bought his Blax Franz last year out of Craigslist. I will try if I can get his phone and let him come up Tuesday too. He will be amazed with you guys carving.

ruwi

I'll be up the hill at about 19:00.

From what I remember, there's only one carving run - wide open green called the Cut. Similar grade to our lower Panorama...

Upper mountain used to be all mogguls, but that might be fun thing to do, too.

I better shut up and let locals speek...

Boris

Bro, just go and practice a bit until we all show up ;) The place is much smaller then Cypress, you won't get lost.

Can someone email Doug directly, just in case he didn't see the tread. His online email is not enabled... Ruwi?

Monday nite was good varving condition. Started at around 1830 Hrs., the Cut was busy for a while then got better after 1.5 hrs as more people started leaving. I noticed in the parking lot was overflowing a bit when I arrived, nice weather, lots of people still on holidays. I didn't venture to the other olympic chair for the blue and mogul runs but if it is groomed in the morning, it will have a good part for descent carving. The upper peak mogul field is a short steep descent. Haven't been there with alpine, only with twin tips for good quick turns. I will stay in the Heaven's sake narrow trail joining the lower peak if riding with alpine. I will be on the mountain by 1800 Hrs. Please look for Gordon Stead, he could be riding his option alpine board. He emailed me back that he be will up there. I e-mailed Doug today and hope he can join too. He went to Whistler last Sat. with some guest from Ontario and I believe he might still be there or just about to leave, not sure. He was disappointed that he couldn't get hold of his Silberfeil before he left for Whistler from Canada Post due to Easter Holidays.

See your there.

ruwi

Just a note on Parking. THere is a complimentary parking area just after the Big Grouse Mtn Welcome sign at the right unpaved/unmarked public parking area. At this time of the season/night ride there will be spots available for parking and try to stay close to the main road if possible to save your boots. The rest of the parking paved/marked are paid parking.

ruwi

Monday nite was good varving condition. Started at around 1830 Hrs., the Cut was busy for a while then got better after 1.5 hrs as more people started leaving. I noticed in the parking lot was overflowing a bit when I arrived, nice weather, lots of people still on holidays. I didn't venture to the other olympic chair for the blue and mogul runs but if it is groomed in the morning, it will have a good part for descent carving. The upper peak mogul field is a short steep descent. Haven't been there with alpine, only with twin tips for good quick turns. I will stay in the Heaven's sake narrow trail joining the lower peak if riding with alpine. I will be on the mountain by 1800 Hrs. Please look for Gordon Stead, he could be riding his option alpine board. He emailed me back that he be will up there. I e-mailed Doug today and hope he can join too. He went to Whistler last Sat. with some guest from Ontario and I believe he might still be there or just about to leave, not sure. He was disappointed that he couldn't get hold of his Silberfeil before he left for Whistler from Canada Post due to Easter Holidays.

See your there.

ruwi

hi ruwi and BlueB

i finally got the silberfeil 172 in my hot little hands now and will mount the bindings and put a spring texture on it before i go to sleep tonight. i picked it up a few hours ago on my way back from whistler. sorry i missed the cypress crew on grouse but i will see you guys up at whistler on april 20 if not before. you guys are welcome to try out the silberfeil anytime after i give it its maiden voyage this saturday.

it didn't matter that i did not get my silberfeil before i went to whistler as i ended up skiing the entire 5 days. my spineless friend's new fiance (26 years old!!!) made a disparaging remark about idiot alpine snowboarders cutting people off by zigzagging left and right so he asked me to ski the entire weekend and not mention that i also snowboarded. what a spineless wimp--p****whipped already! i guess rod serling was right when one of his characters from his twilight zone series utters the line: "when a man marries a woman half his age he deserves EVERYTHING he gets!"

This Sunday Dave*, BlueB, Ruwi, George & me and probably the newest member Joey:biggthumpwill @ Cypress. and I do hope u can join with us and I have a free all day ticket for you.

Lemme know

Roy

i just got back thursday from skiing at whistler and didn't catch up on this forum until now. thanks for the ticket. i just emailed you in case you don't see this thread in time. i'm driving up early to let my dog run around in the backcountry (he loves exploring on the old BLT trail at cypress.)

i snowboarded with ruwi up at grouse today and i really gave the silberfeil 172 a workout--what a great board! long drawn out turns balanced on the side cut (releasing across the fall line surf style) and aggressive highly angulated slalom turns (decambering and releasing down the fall line.) i was surprised how tightly the 172 can turn!

too bad some out of control beginner skier gouged up my brand new topsheet. luckily, no serious damage--just a few ugly ski edge marks. i had already been standing in the lift line for about 5 minutes when this 250 pound moron crashed into the liftline from about 200 meters away. i saw him but couldn't get away as everyone was boxed in at the crowded liftline like a tokyo subway car. all i could do was curse mentally and brace myself for the inevitable.

i can't wait to ride the silberfeil again tomorrow. ya gotta try it out.