Note to New Members ×

Please help me choose a binding

Keopele

There is a sale at a local shop this weekend and I want to upgrade my soft bindings from garbage to something decent. From reading through the forum, it seems that the Nidecker Carbon 900s or SPX pro is the way to go. Unfortunately I can't afford those at regular price and they're not available at this store on sale. So I asked the sales rep which of the bindings he feels are stiffest and best suited to carving. I've done many searches here and with google and can't find much information. Can anyone recommend any of the following? thanks so much.

Head PX10 (found one review in the forum that liked them)

Bent Metal Step in (not actually a step in binding)

Atomic Black Russian (all I can find is Atomic propoganda)

So what do you think? Are any of those decent for carving? The most expensive of the bunch are the PX10s which will cost around $250 after tax. I can get the Carbon 900s via mail order for around $300 after shipping/tax. Is it worth it to pay a bit extra?

The Carbon 900s can be shipped free in the states so if there is anyone that lives around Buffalo or Niagara Falls (american side) maybe I could have them shipped there? That would be a huge favour.

Thanks for any and all suggestions :)

Thanks RDY, but I live in Canada, so I have to pay the shipping plus taxes and duty and I figure that will bring the total up to at least $300. If I was in the states, it's a no brainer for sure. The Bent Metal and Black Russian would be less than 200 after tax. So I guess what Im wondering is are any of the 3 bindings listed good? Am I better off spending the extra 50-100 bucks to get the carbons? Thanks

Can't comment on any of the above, but I was asking around for a "softboot carving" setup during my last snowboard outing, and I often heard the recommendation for the Salomon Malamute boots (they _are_ very stiff) paired with the Salomon SPX90 bindings - those seemed quite stiff too. I didn't have a Nidecker for direct comparsion - but price-wise, they tend to be more affordable.

sorry this doesn't answer your question - but i hope it might be useful nonetheless.

Keopele - haven't ridden any of the 3 bindings you listed but I have the nidecker carbon 900s for my softies and love them. They are really great bindings - very comfy and secure and the highback are asymmetric so they fit better at angles.

I've also ridden the SPX Pro's which are very stiff. More stiff then the 900s. For my weight the 900s provided more then enough support to carve in softies. I've seen but never ridden the SPX90s.

Sorry I couldn't help more, good luck finding bindings!

I like the Burton Missions. In the US they retail for $179 which is pretty dang cheap. They are not a stiff binding with bells and whistles but they are ergonomic enough such that they hold your foot in really well. No pressure points anywhere for me, which is a first. I I can rail with them, and I weigh 185 and am riding softies on a Steepwater 171 and an OSin 4807 178 - not small boards by any means. I also own a pair of Nidecker Vipers, which if I am not mistaken are the new name for the 800... these are stiffer with more nbells and whistles, but the fit isn't as good and at the end of the day the Missions work better for me.

Check www.alpinecarving.com for Mr. Firestones thoughts on other softboot carving goods. He has a bunch of detailed information on this subject.

Also check www.the-house.com in their outlet store for incredible deals. They have some F2 bindings that another BOL'er sold here recently and he swore by them. They look quite nice but I'm not sure on the stiffness? Do a search here on BOL for that model.

F2 Spyro Softy Bindings

RIDE beta. Awesome bindings.

Rossignol HC3000 really nice light comfy.

If you want something totaly awesome, look at the catec freride system

I'm drooling over them now... may have to bite the bullet and get them... but they do not look "comfy" other than the fact they use nidecker straps and hardware.... so I'd say go with the Nide's at the local shop you have.

The other option is to go back to the shop and make them an offer on the Niedeckers. It's the end of the season, and they might take $300 rather than sit on them for the summer. Especially if you point out that you can score them from the US for less than that.

Might be worth a shot...