Note to New Members ×

Oregon Alps Trip

P06781

Just got back from a BC trip to the Wallowas in eastern oregon. Super nice area unlike any of the cascades ranges near portland with peaks in 9500-9800ft range. Used approach skiis and rode the Tanker 2k. We stayed in a yurt which was recently rebuilt after being crushed by snow. Did some nice tree runs the first day after the alpine decided to slide on the first run . Had awesome snow the second day and lapped a nice bowl in 8-9K ft range for super pow turns. Did some true alpine the 3rd day and summitted Red Mountain at 9600ft. We had to boot pack the last 500ft and got a super steep and long run off a coulior in the front. You should all try this for something different in the PNW.

JIm

post-219-141842252287_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842252289_thumb.jpg

post-219-141842252291_thumb.jpg

Guest GQuentin

Hi Jim,

My wheels are turning!

Would you recommend the McCully Camp or the Norway Basin. Looks like they both would be incredible trips. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. If I can't make a trip this year, I hope to do it in 09. I just watched "Steep" at the local theater. If you haven't seen it, I highly reccommend it. I am craving some sweet cherry pow pow and thanks to you, I just might get some :lol:

Quentin

Quentin,

I was a "beta tester" for the Norway area which gets huge amounts of snow(1st year). We spent some extra time going horizontal and skinned though some awsome powder:angryfire. We were the first group to get the alpine and do some summits. Other groups actually left after a night due to the 30" dumps they get and got scared. Norway is in a totally different snow belt than mccully and gets at least double the snow. However this area requires a little better physical shape than the other because it my be harder to the safe areas to ride. The guides are great and I learned alot about BC. This was my first trip like this in my life so far....

Anyways McCully would be easier for a first trip because they have the terrian dailed. Norway is new and still being explored so they might make mistakes due to unpredictable snow causing detours around danger zones. However Norway is way more vertical and plan to go again next year!!

Jim