Note to New Members ×

Random stories from the hill

Corey

Yesterday was my first time out since SES (damn cold/flu!), what a fantastic day! I had a ton of fun and got to put all the lessons I learned to work. Some random stories that I thought were funny/interesting:

1. I bought a blue metallic Donek FC1 171 demo from SES. That thing is BRIGHT! People in the lift line gave about 8" of clearance all around the board. Someone even commented at the end of the lift ride that they would "turn left at the top to avoid scratching your nice board." Later in the day I switched to my Volkl RT and had people on the tail constantly in the lift line. :freak3: Switching back to the Donek had people giving distance again. I don't understand it but I like it!

2. The Snowperformance riding style has really changed my approach to the hill and gets a LOT of looks. I've never been approached by so many people with comments and questions about carving. Cheers from the lift are awesome too. Very cool, thanks Sean! :D

3. There was a little natural roller that was really fun to lay a big toeside carve over. I got in some big chop one time and skidded/slid into the kicker on the extreme side. Leaned over 45 degrees and flying off a jump at 10-15 mph isn't cool. Luckily the landing had a perfect slope that I was able to faceplant on and slide out nicely. :p For the record the kicker was icy enough that I only left a pencil line in it. My knee/elbow trenches in the landing were bigger... ;)

4. That Donek makes me smile. It just locks into a turn until you tell it to release. It was a little out of it's element doing very large radius turns (that's not what I bought it for anyway), but ate up the small turns! It felt a lot like a Loaded Vanguard skateboard, except without the fear of road rash. Weee!

I picked up a metallic pink SL152 from the Donek demo fleet at SES, and it's gotten all kinds of attention here at home - so far mostly for it's amazing pinkness (I'm just a beginning carver) though I did lay down some tracks on Friday that got a whoop from the lift. It's just a super fun board - almost every time I do something stupid it swoops back under my feet and saves me, and yet when I do something right it rewards me with an awesome ride! How cool is that?!? :biggthump

wow that is a funny story can you post a pic of that wonderboard that no one would step on?

It's just the standard blue metallic from Donek, shown on the right side: http://www.donek.com/graphics.htm - that picture definitely doesn't do it justice! It's more like a deep metalflake paintjob on a classic hotrod. I don't quite understand the repulsing effect but I hope it continues!

From the shins down I look like Captain America with the white/red Deeluxe 700t boots and the blue board... ;)