Note to New Members ×

New Metal Mishap

Guest PH-Racer

Well, kinda......bought:

- a Quick Grip with a rubber surface about the size of the problem area

- Devcon 2 ton Epoxy ($13) with PSI strength of 2500

Used a dremel tool to polish off the sharp edges and applied the Epoxy with wax paper between the board and the Quick Grip. After drying, I used the dremel tool again to polish off the excess. Finally, I put a bolus of Epoxy over the entire area covering the open area as well as all exposed areas of metal.....essentially sealing everything. If you look at the board closely, you see the Epoxy....but from any distance at all it just looks like there is metal missing with everything else laying in tact. Could be wrong, but this really looks like it is going to hold.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts.

post-57-141842252264_thumb.jpg

needs to do something to improve durability, perhaps offering the option of a topsheet would do it.

Allot of the priors peel, mine is doing alright but it has a few dings that would not be a issue with a board that has a topsheet.

Sure do ride nice though

needs to do something to improve durability, perhaps offering the option of a topsheet would do it.

Allot of the priors peel, mine is doing alright but it has a few dings that would not be a issue with a board that has a topsheet.

Sure do ride nice though

The demo boards at SES appeared to have something over the metal layer to protect it. I'm not sure what kind of material it was, but it seems like a good idea to me.

I like Coiler's approach with the topsheet over the metal layer. Bruce said that it adds about 3/4 lb. to the board's weight, but it's probably worth it for the increased durability and long-term low-maintenance good looks.

I won the Prior certificate at SES, and I already own a 4WD, so I'm probably going to get a WCR metal in a custom 169 length. I might wait and see what they come up with for '09, though. I might also ask about having a protective topsheet added.

I was even wondering whether a layer of thick vinyl or urethane would offer some protection. For the folks who have polished the metal tops, a clear vinyl layer could keep it looking good and ward off some scratches. Automobile paint protection film, which is usually 8-mil clear urethane, would probably work well.

maybe the stuff that is the top layer of doneks would work

Perhaps someone could email Sean?

I like the solution Brucey uses too, I have a metal coiler here that was one of his earlier ones but it's holding up better than my prior

I talked with PH-Racer shortly after the incident when he returned to the

starting gate with his backup SL board. He looked absolutely miserable.

My stomach has been churning just thinking that our star rider might

be sidelined for the last two comps.

Oldkey: I am *SO* glad you've come up with a patch.

Of the few runs I did see, he was really rockin' that board.

PH-Racer: Big Props to you for remaining civil, and having restraint

enough to not go completely ape on the other rider. I know

it must have been hard... really, really, really, really hard..

....of a protective layer, even if only a clear coating. That coating could keep the Metal from chipping as it does now.

Scuff, hopefully the board did well this evening at practice. I am out of town waiting for an update. Going back to the soft WCR 155 killed him. That board was his favorite....now he calls it unstable compared to his new Metal 163!

I think adding any layers on top of the metal can drastically change the boards flex pattern and such so it's not as easy as just adding a clear coat layer. Every thin layer makes a drastic difference in how the board rides so you have to be very careful what you do. With that in mind it's very amazing what Bruce is doing with his boards having the two layers of metal and the normal topsheet. Truely the best of both worlds. Finding this happy medium didn't come without a price though and Bruce spent a lot of time and materials working out the details via R&D. In the end I think it's really paying off for him though since last I heard he was making metal boards 8 or 9 to 1 over glass boards. What a great time to be a alpine snowboarder! :biggthump