Note to New Members ×

Where do I get'em and what size?

photodad2001

That sticker shock got me too. I bought my first few pairs of boots (while I was narrowing down proper sizing), some TD1 bindings in the Bomber classifieds, and an older Burton Alp on eBay. The whole setup was likely around $300 and was enough to get me hooked on alpine riding.

The best recommendation I can give is to get the proper size of boot shell and then spring for some new thermo liners. If you're lucky you can find some boots with liners that have only been molded once or twice.

The boot price just gets you warmed up for the $800 boards and $300 bindings :eek:

Such small production and relative high quality of this stuff does warrant the high cost - but it still the least fun part of it.

Taking a shot with used stuff, and maybe having to resell them, might be a good bet in the long run. I had to return one pair I bought for a good deal, then I ended up getting the right size on second try for $100 for some SB324's that I just had to glue the cant adjusters on. The shipping is childs play compared to what you save vs. a new pair of boots.

There's a really nice set of AF700's up for $225 right now even.... and some nice 224's just went for $150.

________

Lovely Wendie99

There are a few ski boots that will work for hardbooting but, new, they arn't any cheaper. Even if you found some good used ones, they run at least 1 1/2inches longer than the same size snowboard boot. If you have tiny feet it's not too bad but, with your foot size, you'd have to run high angles to avoid booting out.

Are you looking for high end race boots, or a "cross over" set from soft to hard. I've got a set of Oxygen proton boots, 27.5 that I'll let go for $60 plus shipping. I measure 27.5, but ride smaller. They were too wide for me. I put moldable liners in them and rode them till I got my Indies. This is a softer boot than the top end stuff, but good support.

I'll just mail them to you if you want. Ride them, mail me a check, or mail them back. GREAT first boot, much better than my Burton free carves were. They are NOT intec compatable. I've got some salomon footbeds I'll send with them, but, till you get some good footbeds, no boot will fit well.

This is the beauty of BOL. Try them, if you don't like them, and don't F###k them up you are only out shipping.

We ARE a brotherhood.

Scott

Are you looking for high end race boots, or a "cross over" set from soft to hard. I've got a set of Oxygen proton boots, 27.5 that I'll let go for $60 plus shipping. I measure 27.5, but ride smaller. They were too wide for me. I put moldable liners in them and rode them till I got my Indies. This is a softer boot than the top end stuff, but good support.

No more competition for me, just looking to ride for the soul. I'm grateful for your offer, but I measure a 27 and from what I hear that may be even too big. I need bindings to make them work, any chance of a combo? Also, would sole inserts help the fit?

I came across a post where someone was talking about using regular ski boots. Was this guy on crack or can you use any hard boot?

I'm one of the guys on crack. It works for me. Not every ski boot would work well, though.

Oh btw, my Dalbello CarveX ski boots are not any longer then my AF700 snowboard boots, over all. CarveX is the same shell as the Head Stratos or Blax. However, I don't know if the plastic used is harder.

Few guys sware by Flexons, too.

I'm one of the guys on crack. It works for me. Not every ski boot would work well, though.

Oh btw, my Dalbello CarveX ski boots are not any longer then my AF700 snowboard boots, over all. CarveX is the same shell as the Head Stratos or Blax. However, I don't know if the plastic used is harder.

Few guys sware by Flexons, too.

I was wondering because around my part of the country snowboard specific hard boots are hard to find. Also, I know people that can hook me up with ski boots for under $200 new.

Footbeds, insoles, whatever you call them. A good pair makes quite a difference in fit. As far as size, the "shell fit test" really is the key. My issue with the Oxygens was they were a little wide with the stock liners.

Nothing wrong with Burton bindings, except carriers are all plastic and don't hold up well.

Performance hold up well, but you can't replace the bails, the blocks are rivited.

Lots of people still run the race, bails are replaceable. Thats why Ibex is still making them.

Good luck, Scott

I was wondering because around my part of the country snowboard specific hard boots are hard to find. Also, I know people that can hook me up with ski boots for under $200 new.

try to find a pair of full tilts, same as mold as flexons, new mold.... have a buddy who rode em in chile last summer, says he loved em....