Note to New Members ×

SES was awesome!

Kimo

How much would you raise the SES package cost for a good SES video?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you raise the SES package cost for a good SES video?

• $0: let someone do it on his/her own.
    • $5 - $10: give someone a free SES package to film and let them sell the video on their own.
    • $25 - $30: give someone a free SES package to film and everyone gets a copy of the video.

It could hardly have gone any better, but I am kinda bummed there won't be a 2008 SES video after being spoiled by the great job that Larry did last year. Of course, putting a video like that together is a lot of work and requires an individual to give up a lot of personal riding time to get good footage.

So now I'm wondering, how much would people be willing to pay (by increasing their SES package cost) to provide a free SES package to someone (not me) willing to spend several hours per day filming SES and producing a video?

It would probably only take $5 per person.

Disclaimer: I'm only wondering and I'm not trying to tell the fine folks at Bomber how to run SES.

5$ a guy would be like 400$ or something, cost for DVD's wouldn't be much...

True, but I'm trying to take into account the fact that such a person would be sacrificing a significant portion of their SES experience to shoot footage. Plus, it would take lots of hours of their personal time after SES is over to do the post production work required to come out with the final product. We could ask Larry how many hours it took to pull it all together. I suspect the answer would be that the proceeds received didn't quite cover the time and effort expended. I personally don't think $400 is near enough to do the video and give everyone a copy.

What about paying for the person's package and enough to cover accomodation? I just got a camcorder this winter and have brought it out to the slopes a couple days. I love the process of videoing and editing.

I'm just a new amateur filmer (as well as being new to carving - Haven't even tried boarding on HBs yet) so perhaps someone with higher end gear who does this sort of thing for a career would want more compensation, but I would love to do it for the price of the package and accomodation.

Yes! It definitely was! :biggthump

Thanks very much to Fin&Michelle&all others! We (I hope I may speak for the others too without getting :smashfrea) had a great time with you and nice chattings and boarding and... Only you have to learn the "Lasso-dance" to be a bit more firm in it! :lol:

Greets Max and hope to see you all next year!

PS: "Get well soon" to all injured!

Ok, my first ever experience of incredible carving in the West with the runs I like the most

TieHack (really all the runs off that lift)

Campground ( snowmass )

Copper (ajax)

What happens when I go back to WhiteTail (VR=750ft)? I will never forget TieHack on Saturday Morning - was that sick or what?

Memorable people:

Tim, Jorg, Hanna, Steve, Michelle, (ofcourse) everyone else that provided input of any kind to a newbie carver. I think I got better, I know I got lots to work on.

Lessons learned:

I am also now prepared to stick my neck out and say - practicing in the East way over prepares you for the West. Forced turns in a small area on steep, hard/icy runs makes turns in places like TieHack a total gimme! This has to be the case. Saturday morning's first run (while my brain was still in EastCoast mode) was a screamer - literally! I will never forget the ease with which my board sliced thru the snow and transitioned from one turn to the next. Never experienced that kind of ease at WhiteTail PA.

Totally and completely sold on Aspen and waiting for SES09

Rich S.

I got so hooked on the CO slopes that I had to move out here. I learned at Hawksnest, NC and Blue Mnt in PA. I think it made riding out west way easier after being used to ice and crud. Hope to make some days at next year's SES. Hated missing it this year as it sounds like a blast.

Hawks!.... the vert out west must have blown your mind first time eh?

I like the idea Kimo. I'll pay whatever it takes. When you factor in the cost of the whole experience, the additional money it would take is budget dust.

Scott

Yea and this was one of the fIrst years I behaved well enough to not regret the video later!!! DAMN COLD!

Guest DarkClone

Yea this sesh was one for the books. Great snow, phenomenal talent,(where in the heck is all that new blood coming from!?). People on the most part left their ego at the door!! (Kudos to all!!) Wed. at Highlands with those 2.5 inches of fluff over groom in brilliant sunshine riding with Norm, Diana, Scott?, and Tim was hard to beat. And that pow Thurs. at Snowmass was a Dear Mr. Fantasy moment!! And to end up again in sunshine at Buttermilk Friday, well you get the idea. Obviously the karma at Bomber is all good. Jim aka DarkClone..........

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of someone shooting video; however I was disappointed to not see myself in any of the 2007 DVD shots. This year I was lucky enough to catch the photographer during a photo session and I got a money shot that was taped up to the wall at the final banquet. Sweet! It would be really good to publish a meeting place and time to hook up with the shooter. Oh, and BTW, I would definitely pay to get on film again...

Steve

Michelle, is this something we can look into next year? I know that in the village in Snowmass there was a video guy, I'm just wondering how much hassle it would be to hire someone like him to shoot for one, or maybe two hours a day - maybe first thing in the am when we're all fresh:ices_ange and then put it together when we're done. We could post the time and run at the demo tent in the morning, and whoever wants to be videoed, go ride there.

Or if one of our very capable members wanted to volunteer some time to edit the raw footage laster, that would work too.

For sure I'd pay another $20 or $30 to hire someone and have a DVD delivered to me a couple of months later. The 07 video was awesome.

Even though I didn't get a chance to ride, I still had an awesome time and met some new wonderful friends as well as re-connected with existing friends.

Next year I am going to be ready to violate the mountains of Aspen. (Gosh that sounds so weird). :barf:

I would absolutely chip in to pay for someone to ride around getting footage. In a New York minute!

P.S. The walking boot is finally off, I go back to the doctor next Monday and with any luck, I'll be able to do some late season riding. Say a prayer for me!

Guest GQuentin
Even though I didn't get a chance to ride, I still had an awesome time and met some new wonderful friends as well as re-connected with existing friends.

Next year I am going to be ready to violate the mountains of Aspen. (Gosh that sounds so weird). :barf:

I would absolutely chip in to pay for someone to ride around getting footage. In a New York minute!

P.S. The walking boot is finally off, I go back to the doctor next Monday and with any luck, I'll be able to do some late season riding. Say a prayer for me!

Thats wonderful. So happy to hear the good news. I can't wait to ride with you next year,

Quentin

Thanks for the thoughts as well as the compliment on my confetti one-piece. I think that will be my staple next year, the betty wearing the confetti one-piece carving huge ruts in the snow for the skiers and little kids. ROFL!

I really am looking forward to getting out and ripping it up. I need to vent :)

Thanks Quentin! I also look forward to ripping next year with you as well as many others. I sure do hope Allee is coming back to SES :) That's my girl!

Only if I can room with Quentin - what a guy!:1luvu:

I def have plans for it, cos by then Kelly will be teaching ME how to carve, and the three of us can cause one piece shredding betty chaos ... heal fast Fe, get some days in before the season closes ...

remark to#1: hope we count to those lovely new ones :D

remark to#2: Violation can be soooo sweeeet:D:D:D

remark to #3 and main topic...: got some nice vid footage here.... waiting to get cut....

hold your thoughts... hopefully a small vid will be available soon...

for the time being, please enjoy our "frozen-but-cool" small other vid:

ciao

Eric