Note to New Members ×

Boot dilemma

kumimajava

So this is my first winter on a hardboot setup - i thought i had all the kit together (board, boot & bindings)... except now there's one problem:

I tried to wear the boots for a bit 'longer' than just a brief 'try on', and they feel really painful on my left ankle - right one is fine.

The boots are Raichle/Deeluxe LeMans (blue ones...no idea how old - got them used). I've played around with the in-boot cant settings, but that doesn't fix the problem. There seems to be too much pressure on the inside of the ankle (only in one spot though - so i don't think that's problem of canting, rather an issue of "bad fit").

So the dielmma: should i bite the bullet & buy a new set of heal-moldable/thermoflex boots now (I could feasibly get a pair of Deeluxe Track's or Indy's) - or stick to these guys till end of season & try to get something for next season.

getting another pair now seems expensive, but then I'm worried that with the current setup, I might just get off to a "bad" start with carving & not endure a whole day.

thanks in advance.

i've not ridden in them yet - that's what i'm worried about... if it feels uncfomortable just "standing", i expect it could be worse when riding.

tried the same cant on both, & tried different too ... i've gone throught the whole range of "adjustability" on the cant in the left boot - still the same problem. :( the right one feels ok.:confused:

If the right feels good I believe you are not too far off on getting the left to fit.

Is the pain an area pain or a spot pain? If a spot area can you feel a hard spot inside the boot or possibly if you are using Intec system is the cable laying towards the back or possibly on top of a pressure point?

tough to say what is wrong but have you gone into a bootfitter and have them fix it ??-- seems that is the way I'd go before spending more $$$

you should first go to a bootfitter to fix the problem, get the liners molded and nice insoles put in to make them feel better than your fuzzy slippers...

id guess you can probably fix the problem by molding the liners or getting new liners to mold. You dont have to replace the whole boot to get it comfy!

thanks guys.

unfortunately, where I live, I don't think there a good bootfitter anywhere around - i couldn't even find a shop that sells "harboot snowboard" gear.

so pretty much any kit I get, I have to either travel to London for, or get via mail-order / internet. given that prior to my next boarding trip i'm too busy to tavel, the only alternative to fixing the current pair myself myself is to get a pair of thermoflex liners/boots online. Current boots don't have a moldable liner - just a standard one.

Cosmetically the inside of the left boot looks exactly like the right one - and no Intec cables etc.

it's a bit strange, since the pain is not there when i'm not putting any weight on the foot (i.e. if i put on the boots & sit down in a chair - no pain. the moment I stand up & stay upright for over 1 minute, the pain returns).

maybe i'll just go find a chisel & "shape" the ankle to fit ... :smashfrea:angryfire

As far as I know, the stock liners from Deeluxe are thermofit. I bought a pair of lemans boots about 5 years ago and they were heat moldable.

try doing them yourself before you give up,

check out these links.

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/E_tech_cooking.htm

http://www.telemarkski.com/html/how_mold_liner.html

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/molding_liners.pdf

You don't really need a "boot fitter" unless the shells have to be punched out. A good ski shop should be able to set you up with and shims, heel frames, foot beds etc.., and also have a set up for molding liners. I got mine done for 50$ US, including the heat molded foot bed. Like someone said, you may just need to re-mold the liner, not too hard to do.

Thanks guys for all the input.

Unfortunately, the liner I have now is non-moldable (the LeMans comes with three types of liner - non-moldable, thermoFIT (moldable footbed), and thermoFLEX (fully moldable)). Regrettably, I have the first version.

Will look into having a set of moldable footbeds - and failing that, will try to find a moldable liner & do it myself.

Thanks again :)