Note to New Members ×

Reconsidering Carving and Needing Binding Advice

scrapster

Hi,

I'm on the fence right now. I ended up with a Nidecker Proto somewhat by accident. My first thought (influenced by my wife) was to sell it--which I'm now trying to gauge interest in.

But now, its sitting there in my office--calling out to me. It looks like soooo much fun. If I can't get a decent price for it, I'm just gonna' go ride that thing.

That leads me to my question. If I do decide to take up hard boot carving again, what do I look for in bindings, and where do I look for them? I have some really old carving equipment from my teen years. I think I can resurrect my Kastinger, hard shell lace-up boots. But my old bindings are Burtons (with the three hole set-up) on my Burton M-series---so they won't transfer over unless I get new mounting plates. If someone could point me in the right direction (besides "downhill") I'd appreciate it greatly!

1. Why sell the proto? There's nothing wrong with that board.

2. Throw out the Burton bindings before you hurt yourself. The site says Bomber. Go to the Bomber store for bindings.

3. Get real boots - this is the single most important component. Go up to the Starting Gate by Stratton and get fitted properly for boots. They carry Head and Deeluxe.

4. Ride. FYI - there are usually alpine riders at Stratton who would be happy to ride with you if you approach them.

Good advice. I was considering getting rid of the Proto because I had thought it was wide enough to handle a stiffer, soft boot set up. (Nidecker advertises the current Proto model that way--somewhat like the Prior ATV.) Alas, this older version is still supermodel thin. I've just about reached my gear-buying limit for the year, so getting a new set-up of boots and bindings is iffy, at least for this year.

Still, none of my local shops stock carving equipment--so the Starting Gate sounds like the place to go if I decide to dive into this. I'm also glad to hear that there's a local crew at Stratton. It can get lonely being a 30-something rider sometimes!

Also, I couldn't refit my Burtons anyway. The mounting disc is held in place by a metal adjusting "fork" and the disk just won't wiggle out from under it.

I have a riden twice Generics Peak 60 AM/FC board with 2 times riden SnoPro Race bindings that I would trade. I have an older Proto 156 and love it. Was wanting to try out a newer one. The Peak is a 21cm wide board. It is a pretty good all around board with a big nose and an upturned tail. Let me know if you might be interested in trading.

I'm picking up the same board model from a member here on this forum aswell :)

I ride Head Stratos Pros now ( From Starting Gate) and the Bomber TD2's with 6 degree cant plate in the rear.

They are very comfortable :)

I'm looking forward to slapping them on a Proto myself sometime (hopefully before the end) this season.

HTH.

D

Also, I couldn't refit my Burtons anyway. The mounting disc is held in place by a metal adjusting "fork" and the disk just won't wiggle out from under it.

If you are throwing them out, please throw them my way. I ride the "rental" plate on my more freestyle stuff. I know I have changed the discs as well, but it wasn't easy. Kind of like a rubiks cube - the four across kind. but I am game.

Agree about the boot fit. Makes life so much better.