Note to New Members ×

Gate virgin

Zone

I will very likely try gates for the first time at the local Masters race.

I don't want to kill any spectator or myself in the process.

Any advice for first timers?

Also since I won't be looking to beat anyone at this point, can I run it with an AM board (there is option to rent/try some new F2 also). Is it better to do it with a board you are really familiar with, eventhough it's not designed for the event, or with a race board you've never ridden before?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Ride what you know, and look ahead of the gates.

take it easy for your first time-- about 50% to 70% of your "normal" agressiveness. and make turns that are smooth and carved about 2 feet away from the gates...

good luck, and have a great time! let us know how you do!

Thanks all. Had a great time today at the Ontario Masters. Great camaraderie and fun. Did not kill myself and actually finished all my 6 runs. Came in third for my age group(OK there were only 3, I think, in this group but we shall keep that one secret shall we?):o

You guys who run cones in the summer are the sh*T!:biggthump

SOOOOO much fun! It does wonders for my snowboard SL...not so much for GS. I had a BIG jump up in my snow SL this winter after racing skate slalom all last summer for the first time in 22 years. Much more centered on the board fore and aft, much quicker feet, much more pump and power generation....just had to watch the hands crossing over at first!! :eek:

slalom_photo.jpg