Note to New Members ×

Engaging the nose on a heel-side carve.

photodad2001

If I go steeper I'm going to be able to start to see board between my foot and the edge is that going to be an issue?

I was refering to your board's angle to the hill, not your stance angle.

But yes if you bring your stance angle to far forward for your board width you will have a hard time pressuring your edge effectively.

Should I try moving my stance forward? My board has a 25 set back and I currently have my front binding on the lowest set of holes while my back binding is down one set. Should I move them up a set?

I agree with the other advice you've been given, leave your stance alone for now and work on technique. My technical advice on initiating up front and then going to the center of the board was my simplistic attempt at getting you started at driving the board.

Good luck!

Just want to clarify what you mean by "driving". Do you mean to push the board forward? Wouldn't that put my weight on my back leg?

I think at the start you'll have more of a pull and weight on the front doing this. Ending up with weight on the back leg at the end of the turn is not a bad thing.

It's not which leg the weight is on, it's where the board is underneath your mass.

remove

weight

from

your

riding

vocabulary

Your weight is constant, and it's distribution should be as close to constant as possible, within your mass.

This is some of the best advice I have heard from anyone on this forum or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks WB.

What should change for a softboot rider looking to utilize the same drive, say with moderately ducked angles? Same concept?

I ride duck / freeride almost exclusively and find that, with the wider stance, I am really able to take this technique very far.

If you ride in a duck stance already, you shouldn't have a problem with discomfort, But do pay attention to what your knees are telling you.

Do a few bluntslides on the snow, moving the board under your core, to shift the pressure points and pivot locations, then try it in some turns.

Williamblake,

I went out today to a groomed granular surface... just because. I had a few improved heelside carves, then the sun came out and softened the snow. It was, as you'd say, more like mashed potatoes and an improvement from the gravel like conditions early in the morning. I found myself getting my nose in too deep. It either skidded out or ended up buckling up (the only way I could describe it). On the drive home I'm thinking I might have been going into the carve with too much speed, what do you think?

Sorry, didn't get a personal photog to go with to take pics.

removing the rear cant.

That cant throws your mass forward, and removing that artificial stance-anomaly typically helps to center the rider, esp. in the case of those who complain of submarining.

Just TRY IT.

I can give you a little example on this one.

I like trying things, if it isn't too cold out it only takes a few minutes to switch around my plates.

I took WB's advice and removed my cant (6 degree on the rear), I also tightened up my stance a little (I will play around with that more later).

The problem I was having was skidding out on toe side turns every once in a while, to compensate, I moved my back foot to the rear mounts and kind of rode in the back seat. It did help, BUT, I did not have any wiggle room. Once the board started to skid I either skidded to a stop, or leaned back and took off! I didn't like either senario.

So now I ride flat. I find it took only a little while to get the groove. I feel MUCH more balanced. Not as much skidding, and when I do, I can shift my weight to make it stop and just keep on carving. The one thing I have found is I have to RIDE. If I get lazy it is a little less forgiving, but that is not a complaint at all.

So to make a long story short:

Try it.