Note to New Members ×

Tuning and waxing help arround Ontario

Civ

Is there anyone here who would have the time to give me a hands on tutorial for waxing and tuning my own gear?

I can offer a case of beer.

I really want to learn how to take care of my gear so i dont have to worry about it at a shop.

Thanks.

Mike

Buy the coolest-looking rub-on wax you can at the board shop on the mountain. Bonus points if it says "Xtreme" on it. Rub it until your board feels waxy. A store might try to sell you a "diamond stone" to tune your edges, but you can do just as well with a rock- start a Sublime song, then rub it all around your edges until it's over.

You're good to go!

Is there anyone here who would have the time to give me a hands on tutorial for waxing and tuning my own gear?

I can offer a case of beer.

I really want to learn how to take care of my gear so i dont have to worry about it at a shop.

Thanks.

Mike

If you are planning on attending the ECES we will have a pro tuner on site giving a clinic on how to tune your board

ECES schedule of events is here

http://www.eces.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19

I don't know of any locals for you, but I do know that the carvers almanac is awesome and on top of that you should check out www.tognar.com. There you can buy wax manuals and videos and such. Waxing and tuning really isn't all that hard, in fact, it's quite soothing. It's also not an exact science, so lots of people have their own techniques and such.

Not sure if I'm allowed to name the store, so just in case... there is a store in Oakville on Speers road that gives free tuning clinics every other Thursday. See their website for dates and details. I just attended one last night and it was really good. They cover base and side edge tuning and waxing. The guy that gives the lessons seems VERY informed and used to tune skiis for the national team. I attempted my first tune/wax today and feel pretty good about it. Hope this helps.

Mike:

Maybe you could tap into some of the expertise at SOS 08. There will certainly be quite a collection of near experts there.

I will bring my tuning box and portable bench in case there is interest. Watching a ski tuning demo as suggested above would be fairly useful but boards have particular needs that skis don't have.

And never mind about the case of beer.