Note to New Members ×

newbie questions

mawsea

Hello I have a lead on some bomber td1's step ins including heels . Wouldnt it be a hassle to pull the quick release wearing regular snowboard pants and undoing the cuffs to eject? Are bomber Td1's to stiff and unforgiving for a hardcarving boarder but new hardbooter like myself? 3d center disks ,are they available for the td1's incase i buy a burton coil instead of that prior 4wd i dream of? The person selling the bindings also has a nidecker 163 ,I'm 175lbs 6'1 ...am i wasting my time and money on a board of that size or can i make it work for now? ...thanks

......whatever .... of the hundreds of snowboarders I know,not one single one wears hardboots. so I thought my stupid questions might be answerd here. examining my priorities is exactly why im intrested in carving harder than ever cause thats all I do anyways..mize well do it on the right equipment...I just wanted my cluelessnes straightend out so i could spend more time riding with my kids and less time pulling my pants down trying to pull the release on a pair of step-ins if thats the case. I aint about to start wearing spandex. and i aint about to burn my contract with the Salvation Army because man ive been riding for them since 1988. Do the math, I will never be the next Klug and its never been about fashion . Just trying to make the right choice on what board and bindings to buy so i dont waste money and time on somthing that aint working .....so whatever... this forum aint working for me either..

wow, man. Grow a SACK!

TD1s ARE stiff. Yes. Too stiff? no. Bombproof? yes

Intec release works fine THROUGH pant leg. Never had a problem. not once. You dont need to undo anything.

3D disks are available for TD1. you'd need them for the burton for sure.

The nidecker 163 might be ok, but that all depends on your skill, location, conditions you normally ride, etc. Personally I'd want to go just a little longer, but heck...if it's cheap enough grab it. Don't pay more than $150 max for the bindings.

I understand the pants thing. I find that I can pull the Intec release through the pants. I've also just pulled the snow skirt around the boot and left the Intec release hanging out there. The ease of stepping in is well worth it, especially if you are riding with kids like I am.

As for the stiffness, I started with TD2s and never had a problem with them. Not sure what the ride difference is between the 1's and 2's.

I've seen folks have their intec release cables sticking outside their pants if they wear shorter ski pants (nothing wrong with them, hardboots anyways). However, I have no problem reaching and pulling the handle through my pants as most folks who use step-ins do. I wrap the inner cuff around the top of the boot but don't put the cable inside. That way, there's only one layer of pant I need to grab the handle through. It's not hard. Some folks have designed extensions that go further up the pant so they can release without bending over, or in case they get stuck in a tree well and can't bend over to reach the release handle.

The TD1 step-ins are definitely one of the stiffest bindings you can get, and what WB was telling you was to just go out and ride what you've got. When you're starting off, gear isn't nearly as important as just getting your runs in. You never know if it's too stiff if you've never tried it. It also depends on your weight, and riding style. You may find out you prefer a stiff binding, maybe not. Worst case, you sell them in the classifieds (probably for very close to what you paid) and find something else more suitable. I'm 160 pounds and could get away with flexier bindings, but am currently running TD2 step-ins. Stiff? I have nothing to compare them to, but I'm doing fine in them and don't really want to change that variable yet for my riding.

Lastly, try to find carvers in your area through the ride boards here on the forums. One of the best ways to learn is to ride with other fellow carvers. And depending on where you're located, the local group might even have a demo fleet or some generous folks who can help you with some gear to try out so you can see what you like.

mawsea,

I haven't ridden TD1s but I have found TD2s too stiff for my liking, even with the yellow E-rings and the suspension kit. The TD1s are supposedly stiffer than the TD2s. I think the heavier you are, the less the stiffness is a problem and the more the added strength is a good thing. Bombers are definitely well engineered.

Intec bindings also have a stiffer interface when compared to a standard bail binding. When riding intecs, I never had a problem pulling the intec handle through my pants leg to release the pins and they are definitely convenient.

Enjoy, Buell

TD 1s are stiff but they can be made to feel like TD2s with red elasomers with a bit of dirt bag tech for cheap, get some 1/8 th inch rubber gasket material and slightly longer M6 bolts, a quicklayer between board and base ( dont forget to add under the bumpers ) , a layer between base and top plate, then a layer between the top plate and bail blocks.

Its enough to "take the edge off" I found and seems to keep al the bolts tight.

Of my current fleet of binders in escalating order of stiffness/plushness

Voile split board plates

Burton race plates -various generations, they all feel similar to me

Trident Sports Rattraps- wish they were still made

TD2s ( +- with suspension kit or the yellow or red elastomers I have)

TD1s, the stiffest in my collection

Thanks for your kind and imformative replies...just trying to straighten this stuff out before i bought my FIRST alpine setup, which i did today! I bought a burton coil 166 and race plates ...yah yah I know not as bomb proof as the prior and bombers but from research I think it will suit me fine for my loose surfy freecarve out of bounds style.. . I lined up to ride with the crew at NW mini SES...so i'm on my way.

D-SUB I'll even take your advise to "grow a sack" since I lost mine today on the local poma lift

Thanks for your kind and imformative replies...just trying to straighten this stuff out before i bought my FIRST alpine setup, which i did today! I bought a burton coil 166 and race plates ...yah yah I know not as bomb proof as the prior and bombers but from research I think it will suit me fine for my loose surfy freecarve out of bounds style.. . I lined up to ride with the crew at NW mini SES...so i'm on my way.

D-SUB I'll even take your advise to "grow a sack" since I lost mine today on the local poma lift

Actually that is an excellent start. The Burton plates are forgiving yet simple and still favored by many racers. Sounds like you are on your way. Now just get next to the alpine brothers up North and listen up. They will fill you in fast. Be read to be humbled!! PS. Photos/ Videos of your first day please:ices_ange

mawsea,

I haven't ridden TD1s but I have found TD2s too stiff for my liking, even with the yellow E-rings and the suspension kit. The TD1s are supposedly stiffer than the TD2s. I think the heavier you are, the less the stiffness is a problem and the more the added strength is a good thing. Bombers are definitely well engineered.

Intec bindings also have a stiffer interface when compared to a standard bail binding. When riding intecs, I never had a problem pulling the intec handle through my pants leg to release the pins and they are definitely convenient.

Enjoy, Buell

Key point for the lighter riders. Glad you found what works! Can't wait to see you young rippers tearing it up!!

Sue them. Just don't be so sensitive to responses. Stick around this site and you'll get more info than you ever wanted, but PLEASE use the search function before posting too many questions as they've most likely already been answered.

This is an excellent starter package for you and should easily take you through this year and into next. As far as the bindings I ride Burton race plates for 13 years now and I really like them. I have used some others that I thought were too stiff for my style. In other words, even when carving extremely hard, I like a little flex in the boot to binding interface.

When you start getting laid out on the snow and feel the torsional flex of the board giving you a little wiggle, it might be time to look for a stiffer board. You're fine until then. Good luck.