Note to New Members ×

Snowboard Gates at Okemo NASTAR

patmoore

I had promised to do this last year but broke a couple of ribs and contracted pneumonia ending my season early.

Yesterday and today I set two courses, one with traditional ski gates and one with snowboard-specific panels. Skiers are welcome to run the snowboard course and several of them did. We had a number of boarders (including two hardbooters) run the course. My plan is to set the course this way every Saturday and Sunday for the balance of the season.

I do the pacesetting on skis and then switch to my GS board to "run against myself".

There will be a few occasions (March 1 & 2 for example) when the course will be reserved for private races. Email me if you plan to visit Okemo to doublecheck. Hope some of you can make it this winter - I could use some coaching!

Results count toward NASTAR National rankings and can qualify you for the Nationals in Steamboat.

Pat Moore

NASTAR Pacesetter - Okemo

I got the okay from NASTAR HQ. Have the guy at Copper check with Bill Madsen. Whiteface has been doing it for 6 years. This is just my second weekend of setting the snowboard gates and it's drawn a lot of favorable comments.

It takes a little more work because I have to use a different wrench than I use to screw in the ski gates but it's worth the extra effort.

I'll be up there tomorrow with an ex-racing friend, where do you set the gates? Are they open to the public?
The NASTAR course will be open Monday (tomorrow) but I won't be there so I don't know if the backup pacesetter will be setting the snowboard gates. I'll have them up next Saturday and Sunday. We're located on Lower Blackout. It's open to anyone. Save some time and register with at nastar.com ahead of time - there's no cost to register. We run the course from 10 - 2. $6 for 2 runs of $10 lets you run all day. Here's today's results. After setting the pace for both courses on skis, I take a couple of runs on the board. As you can see, I was the only boarder running the course today.

I saw the gates, looked for anyone on hardboots & didn't see anyone. I just rode other trails, didn't feel like smashing into a gate!
I saw a hardbooter near the halfpipe while I was riding my GS board up the t-bar. Was that you?

I keep a set of shin guards in the timing shack if you or anyone wants to borrow them.

Near the half pipe, probably. In it, no.

I didn't see a single other hardbooter on the mountain today, sad to say.

I was in a dark grey/light grey spyder jacket, black pants, grey giro talon helmet, goggles, black face mask, riding a F2 speedcross.. not that you probably got that good of a look as to tell.

People like you and patmoore really deserve the biggest ups- :biggthump

What you fellas do for our collective sport/passion is wonderful...I hope that more people with connections at mountains follow suit.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you folks at the course this weekend!

We had a real treat today when US Team racer Erica Mueller ran her Kessler through our NASTAR course. She just signed up for the "dollar run" so I didn't know who she was until after we met in the finish area (I won't tell you how badly she beat me). Her run was a thing to behold on an icy course.

I don't know if she'll be back tomorrow but I'm hoping so. I'll have snowboard gates set up from 10 - 2 on Sunday if any of you New Englanders are in the vicinity..

• 1 month later...
NASTAR Gates aren't going to help you on My Slalom Hill!:flamethro

See you out there!

Except that Pat sets stubbies and tri-panels for his ... you think I'd go to O for any other reason? (sorry Pat). ;-)

You saw what I did to YOUR slalom hill last year...you'll have to try harder!

Sorry, but I won't be at Okemo this weekend. I'm at the airport waiting my flight to Steamboat for the NASTAR Nationals and won't be back until Monday.

The course will be open but the course setter will be using traditional ski gates. When I get back I can reset the snowboard gates if I know for sure people are coming to run them. The turnout this year has been disappointing. Those of you who have set these gates know it takes a different size wrench so course setup takes a lot longer.

If we can plan a day with several hardbooters there I'll haul out the tri panels again.

Oh yeah, wish me luck at Steamboat!

Just wanted to drop a line and say what PAt does is way cool. I board at Tyrol here in WI and we've talked them into doing snowboard gates for the public Nastar about 3-4 weekends a year, and 1 night during our adult race league. The race league night is a hoot....a lot of the skiers complain, but the good racers on skis actually like the gates because they can get waaaayyy over on them without getting wacked.