Note to New Members ×

do all the metal boards feel same?

groovastic

It's a stupid question, but I tried only one metal board (SG Race T 78) and loved it.

now I'd like to know if all the metal boards on the market (Prior, Coiler, Volkl, Virus...) have the same feel, or is there any difference between them? Is one more dump than another, or more lively or more springy....

And does longer or rounded tail has something to do with metal?

Thanks

Metalboards are as different as - say a Swoard to a Speedster SL.

Metal makes it possible to build a damper, softer and at the same time torsionally stiff board. Thats the common factors.

Choice of woodcore, shape, sidecut, flexpattern, one or two layers of aluminium, round tail, flat tail, split-tail, big setback (as Kessler GS boards), use of carbon or kevlar or both can make two metalboards feel worlds apart.

I go for one sheet of metal and use carbon/kevlar to make the Metalburner moore responsive. In my opinion thats better for aggressive freecarving.

So to sum it up. Go heavy on the metal and compare - there is a BIG difference.

Yes, they will be different. More or less dump is a matter of opinion that also depends on length, width and sidecut, as well as construction method and material. But in general the metal content helps the board stay in contact with the hill better by increasing torsional stiffness without the consequential longitudinal stiffness increase that occurs with other materials. The only way to find out what you like is to demo, as people on this board cannot agree on even simple things, let alone which board for which person.

thanks guys!

:biggthump

so, if say, I like Virus model A (non metal) better than say Coiler model B (non metal), is it likely that I'll love the same Virus model A only with metal better than the same Coiler model B with metal?

thanks again

Thats if you´re a heavymetalguy, cause metal is for sure not the holy grail of snowboarding. It´s not for everone.

Metal makes it possible to build a damper, softer and at the same time torsionally stiff board. Thats the common factors.

It would seem to me that carbon fiber could do this better than metal. Metal is generally uniform in all directions (unless it has been specifically forged or cold-worked to align the grain structure) so it wouldn't provide a lot of torsional stiffness relative to the longitudinal stiffness.

With carbon fiber, on the other hand, the fibers could be laid up in a direction to specifically increase torsional stiffness and not longitudinal stiffness. It just seems like it would be easier to tune carbon fiber through layering and fiber directions to achieve the specific flex/stiffness charactistics you want.

I do understand how metal increases torsional rigidity by being adhered to the board and creating tension when twisted. You can even feel this with a piece of paper by pulling it tight and twisting it -- there will be some resistance to the twisting. But if you just bend the paper, like beginning to fold it, there is almost no resistance (no longitudinal stiffness). However, it still seems like carbon fiber could achieve this even better than metal.

It would seem to me that carbon fiber could do this better than metal. Metal is generally uniform in all directions (unless it has been specifically forged or cold-worked to align the grain structure) so it wouldn't provide a lot of torsional stiffness relative to the longitudinal stiffness.

With carbon fiber, on the other hand, the fibers could be laid up in a direction to specifically increase torsional stiffness and not longitudinal stiffness. It just seems like it would be easier to tune carbon fiber through layering and fiber directions to achieve the specific flex/stiffness charactistics you want.

I do understand how metal increases torsional rigidity by being adhered to the board and creating tension when twisted. You can even feel this with a piece of paper by pulling it tight and twisting it -- there will be some resistance to the twisting. But if you just bend the paper, like beginning to fold it, there is almost no resistance (no longitudinal stiffness). However, it still seems like carbon fiber could achieve this even better than metal.

Well I´m not a scientist and can only refer to the way a metalboards behaves. :) in edgehold and factors here are dampness and torsional rigidity.

On the other hand :( a big minus cause they can have a tendency to feel dead and unresponsive due to said dampness.

All metal boards do not feel the same. I've got several -

Coiler NSR II 185

Coiler AM 172 / 12m

Coiler Shtubby 164 / 14.7m

Prior 177

And they all feel as different from each other as they would if there were no metal in them.

About a month ago Buell and I were sitting at the top of a run comparing notes. He said he had to think while on a Coiler AM but not on his Prior, and for me it was the exact opposite. To each his/her own!

Most metal boards are made with carbon fiber.

I have never ridden a carbon fiber board that feels anything like a metal board.

I have ridden alot of boards.