Note to New Members ×

Another boot question - UPZ vs Head fit

MrClean

Have a boot fit question for y'all. I am currently using an old pair of Raichle ski boots that have never fit my feet. I have really high arches and the Raichles just crust them to the point I can't go 1/2 a day (even with proper bootfitting). Well... it's time to invest in a new pair of boots. I am wondering about the fit of the UPZ vs Head boots. I did a search and didn't readily find anything describing the fit of the boots, only features. Can anyone compare the fit (toe box width, arch height, heel box, etc) of the UPZ vs Head boots?

I'm leaning towards the Heads because I tried them on a few years ago and they didn't kill my feet, but am wondering if I'm missing something with the UPZs. For comparison, I find Lange ski boots fit my feet the best.

Thanks for the advice.

-MC

I've had both. They both fit a bigger volume foot better than the Raichles and Deeluxes I've had.

I do have a set of custom Conform'able liners and footbeds in my Stratos pros and with what I found the toe box and snugness in the heel is the best. Larger calf volume is better also. This is what fit me. Take that for what it is worth.

What I feel very strongly about is the overall quality. The buckles, shell, rivets and walk mode/forward lean adj is/are way better on Head boots. The "power cam lever" on the instep buckle is such a good, simple idea. You can really crank it down. Head boots are killer....for me anyways.

This is one man's humble $0.02.

K

The "power cam lever" on the instep buckle is such a good, simple idea. You can really crank it down.

second the usefulness of the power lever on the instep buckle. I have poor circulation in my feet and I like to loosen my buckles on the lift. The power cam makes it a cinch to re-tighten my buckles on the lift just prior to unloading. And I agree that the head build quality is also very good. I don't have any experiences with the UPZ, but I really like the HSP boot. Add a thermo liner and a BTS and you'll bi in hardboot heaven. I still have some bootfitting adjustments to make before my feet are totally comfy, but my feet are a PITA ...

I have only tried on the UPZ's, I bought the Head's instead. In the store I felt that the Heads were wider and softer flexing.

I have been using custom footbeds and have just molded the partially moldable liner. In the future I would like to compare the current liners to Zip Fits or another custom liner. I am unsure if I would like the flex difference.

I am not a fan of wrap style liners and this also affected my decision to not buy the UPZ. The head boots are wider and stiffer than the 224's I used before and it was about five days of riding before I noticed the boots to break in.

you be the judge. Nothing beats putting your feet into the boots and then making the final decision based on the boot feel. I can tell you that many carvers come in with preconceived notions based on internet boot recommendations only to be disappointed because their decision is contrary to the majority opinion. One has to wonder how many riders are in the wrong boots because of popular internet recommendations?

Bola

www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

Here's an idea if you have the scratch - buy both, try them on in your living room, and return whatever pair seems less than perfect.

I have not tried the Heads but the new UPZs fit my wide and high arch/instep foot fine. The new 2008 boots also have a standard tongue liner of good quality and not the old wrap liners. Buckle and flex hardware has also been upgraded for 2008 so keep this in mind when reading older reviews.

<O:p</O:p

The only thing I notice is that the heel box may be a bit narrow (but I can't compare this to the Heads). I know that I do notice my Intec heel cable at the end of the day but the heel area works fine for me.<O:p</O:p

Also, UPZs come in two color choices and give you an extra set of outer plastic tongues in the box (with different flex).

I'm sure either new Heads or UPZs will be a huge improvement over your old boots. Have fun.<O:p</O:p

don't know about the 2008 UPZs... but i had the red ones before and they just never felt good, i had tried several different sizes. They were too narrow and cut off circulation. The Heads are wider and are much better for me, and i have high arches and wider than normal foot.

As promised, here's my first impressions. I ordered the head stratus pro's. They arrived today :cool:. To make sure they fit alright, I put them on for about an hour while around the house so that I didn't violate the bomberonline return policy. Here's my first take on their fit. For this discussion, I currently own a pair of about 10 year old raichle race boots that I had back when I was racing DH. They're fit (footbeds, etc). I normally ski in the blue lange's (Race boot) from about 5 years ago - just to give you a baseline comparison.

Now... the Heads are a heck of a lot more comfortable than my raichles. As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, the raichles absolutely crush my arches. As a result, I will stay miles away from the Deeluxe boots. Also, to understand the fit, I find I have high arches, a medium toe box and a narrow heel box. I'm finding the heads have a medium toe box, ample room in the arches and a medium heel box - reminds me of when I tried on the Nordica race boot a few years ago.

Also, the cuff on the heads is lower, so although I don't have gi-normous calves, they'd fit those who do. By the same token, I'm not finding my calves are swimming with room, so they're not overly spacious.

Suffice to say, I'm psyched. I now have a true pair of snowboard boots and will stop cringing in pain at the thought of squeezing my feet into the raichles.

I anticipate busting them out this weekend, so will update the thread on my thoughts.

Edited to add: The above is with the stock liners, no work done, no custom liners, etc.

I have wide, flat feet and have a terrible time finding any footwear that fit my boxy toes. Based on suggestions here, I also narrowed my search down to Heads and UPZ's, ultimately buying the UPZ's. I couldn't be happier with them. I did replace the stock footbed with a pair of "green" Superfeet, which are more supportive than the stock footbeds, but actually have too high of an arch to suit me. Keep that in mind, as those green Superfeet liners may work very well for you in your new Head boots. (On the cheap, too.)