Note to New Members ×

Mammoth Conditions New Years Day

garyj

Rode Mammoth new years day. Rode solo and saw no other carvers. Conditions were good for carving, blue bird skies, medium crowds, and no wind. Some rocks on transitional runs from mid mountain to Canyon. Rode Stump, ridge of 5, Roller coster, and ridge of 8.

Neil: if your going to ride mammoth this morning, I will be on ridge of 5 or Stump, or possibly on Canyon side, give me a call or text me as to where you might be ridding.

Loc: Be careful out there. This upcoming storm is supposed to be a big one!

Gary: I was out today but did not see you. I spent most of my time from chair 4 up to 5. Crowds were decent through there. Hope to see you tomorrow. I doubt any of us can ride on Friday due to the storm.

Uh oh, do you think the weather will be too poor to drive up Friday night? My friends and I are planning to stay in Lee Vining. Aside from being snow junkies we're also photo junkies and need our sunrise photos of Mono Lake :)

Loc: This is supposed to be a pretty radical store. The unofficial murmur on the hill today is 100 mph winds, 10 feet of snow and possibly the biggest storm in 50 years. Mammoth city left us a phone message to be ready for possible power outages and to have 72 hours of supplies on hand. Chances are if this storm is a big as they say, 395 could be a problem, so check with the CHP for closures.

Neil: I got out around 10 am so needless to say I was in the middle of all the people. Rode 8 and 5 later in the afternoon and still couldn't get around the crowds. Had to trade my 187 in for a shorter board after a few close calls. :mad: I will be out early tomorrow, let me know where your going to be. If your getting to the hill later and need a place to park, you can use our drive way, just let me know before.

Loc: just look here - http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/warnings.php?wfo=rev&zone=CAZ073&pil=XXXWSWREV&productType=Blizzard+Warning

Just look what they say here:

"A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS

AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT

CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE. DO

NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF

YOU GET STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE."

Come early or way later! Stay safe! :)

Gary: I will be out tomorrow, probably parking at chair 4 again. Where are you going to be? Little boards again for sure (Madd 158 for me). :)

Neil its already pretty gusty here at the house, which means much more wind on the hill. I will most likely go out, but will make it early to get a couple of hours with less people. If there is a lot of wind I will probably stay on Canyon side. Let me know when you will riding this AM and I will try and find you.