Note to New Members ×

Radios

kinpa

Do you carry a two-way radio with you on the hill?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry a two-way radio with you on the hill?

Do you carry a radio on the hill? If so, should someone here at Bomber establish a set channel in hopes of finding others on the hill wherever you ride? Have you ever lost a radio on the hill? I heard a story of someone losing a radio while hanging upside down in a tree!!!

For FRS radios, in the Tahoe area we have been using channel 5, tone 12 for a few years now. Since there are only 14 (or 22 channels depending on the radio), a crowded resort on a weekend makes communications difficult sometimes due to interference. But they are great on weekdays when the channels aren't too crowded.

I'd recommend getting ones that use AA alkaline batteries, it gives you more battery options and you can always get them from a store.

The FRS band is practically useless on my local hills and at Whistler/Blackcomb because so many people have them that there's too much interference.

I get issued a Motorola HT 1000 UHF radio for work, and that works OK- it works best when I keep it warm under my jacket with a Conterra radio chest pack and a Con-Space Sr65i throat mic system. The Con-Space system allows me to mount an external radio PTT switch on the shoulder strap of my pack to make transmissions easier.

On my own time, I just put my cell phone on vibrate and stuff it into a bicep pocket. A bluetooth ear bud allows me to talk on the hill without having to dig into my pocket for the phone, and the helmet and fleece helmet liner that I wear keep it in place.

got a bunch of Motorolas, use em half the time. nuthin fancy.

not much range tho.Good to have an extra to lend to a slower rider when they turn up missing.

Tend to favor channel 14:20, if yer at sunday river try us there.

staticky radios on the chair drive me nuts. Ipod drones em out nicely.

post-123-141842244861_thumb.gif

That's right... They're always stopped in the trees somewhere. It's easy to raise someone to help you, but difficult to explain to them where you are. You will be most successful if you know where the "spots" are yourself.

You can give them directions from where they are, to the treewell you're hanging upside down in.

Don't carry one if I can help it. Did enough of that when they were the size of a small loaf of cranberry bread Back in the 80s,

Nowadays If the director or assst dir. hand me one I just except it 'cause that means they think they are going to have an upper level 8 or 9 ski lesson or a H/B carving lesson or a bumps and trees softie lesson. I live for those lessons so it goes withthe territory. Asst. dir. Jerry asked me why I was not reluctant one day since I usually stay so low key. So I told him. He just said "cool" I'll remember that and not screw it up. LOL He 's really a nice guy. He calls the radio the official "Long tether anchor".

Grandfather Wolf

aka Chase

radio means I'm working I don't really like working and also go out to ride to get away from most people.

I can't stand the look of a bunch of Joeys "wit tha walkie talkies, ahh."

Radios just scream weekend warrior to me and even though I might fall into that classification I still don't need to go filling the negative stereotype for people.

I will however answer my phone if my GF calls or something.

radio means I'm working I don't really like working and also go out to ride to get away from most people.

I can't stand the look of a bunch of Joeys "wit tha walkie talkies, ahh."

Radios just scream weekend warrior to me and even though I might fall into that classification I still don't need to go filling the negative stereotype for people.

I will however answer my phone if my GF calls or something.

I wanna ax you.....

how I'm gonna find my peeps on the hill, yo ?

I keeps my radio in tha papoosie

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYjd6hWKrGY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYjd6hWKrGY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>