Note to New Members ×

iTunes Christmas present question

carvedog

Hey gang. For being fairly proficient with imaging programs I am completely uneducated on iTunes and music formats. So looking for a little guidance. My wife is getting a shuffle for Christmas and I am trying to preload a hundred songs or so for her as she is more challenged than I.

I have two computers with iTunes on. The one at work has several hundred songs a lot of which I acquired from my own CD collection. It seems like I copied them down at a higher quality than mp3 level. Maybe AIFF something. I am concerned that these are going to eat up her space on the shuffle but I can't find anything in iTunes about the size of quality of the files. Or how to downsize them for the shuffle. Or does this do so automatically

It seems like i can drag and drop as to an external drive to get the tunes on the shuffle I just don't want to F this up. Another thing is that if I buy some tunes from Apple, can I swap those around my two computers and drop copies onto the shuffle as needed? Do you have to add the whole playlist at one time?

I know I am an underachiever in the music dept, but I been banging around Photoshop too much for work to get into it. Of course I have been so busy that I have the last minutes ticking away, so if you can save me some headache and frustration today that would be awesome.

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas,

Jerry

I have two computers with iTunes on. The one at work has several hundred songs a lot of which I acquired from my own CD collection. It seems like I copied them down at a higher quality than mp3 level. Maybe AIFF something. I am concerned that these are going to eat up her space on the shuffle but I can't find anything in iTunes about the size of quality of the files. Or how to downsize them for the shuffle. Or does this do so automatically

go into the itunes import prefs, set it to what you want the file to be. go back to your library and you can right click on any file and convert it to the new file type. when this is done you will have duplicates in your library. add the "bit rate" to the displayed items in your library and sort by it, then delete the ones you dont want.

It seems like i can drag and drop as to an external drive to get the tunes on the shuffle I just don't want to F this up. Another thing is that if I buy some tunes from Apple, can I swap those around my two computers and drop copies onto the shuffle as needed? Do you have to add the whole playlist at one time?

use itunes to load the music on the ipod. if you buy songs on itunes i think you can authorize on 5 (?) computers. im pretty sure it is more than 2.

happy holidays.

john

Thanks John I figured it out. Merry Christmas to you as well.

I figured some Ice Coaster would be up that early. Been in the wood shop since 4 playing Santa's helper building some last minute frames for the gallery. I just spent $50 on music, but I did find some great stuff for my wife.

Thanks again.

Jerry

• 2 months later...

John ( or anyone else )

In iTunes there is a column next to the song name that has a check mark. Half my songs are checkmarked and half aren't. I have never checkmarked any except a few to see if it changed how they load to the iPod or?????

What does this do? I searched apple help with no luck. There doesn't appear to be any way to select checked or not checked and it doesn't keep them out of playlists or anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The song that is unchecked will not play, unless you specifically click on that song. I am not sure if it will load onto the iPod or not, though. I guess its main use is to uncheck a song if you are tired of it coming up too much in shuffle or something like that.