Note to New Members ×

Intel Request So Cal Carvers

Algunderfoot

Merry Christmas So Cal forumites!

I am trying to decide lodging / riding plans for the weekend of Jan 11th. I have buisness in the LA area the week prior and the San Joaquin valley week following. I would like to head up to Mammoth / June Lake, as I have never been there, but it looks like a hump there and back. I am familiar with the Big Bear area, but I remeber that scene as a little rough, and it's tough to pack firearms in luggage these days. So I have some questions:

Mammoth? June?

What about Baldy, Waterman, Mountain High, Snowcrest or Sunrise?

Any lodging suggestions would also be appreciated...

Thanks! In Advance!

Al

Al,

Don't waste your time with Mountain High. Big Bear is an "ok" resort if you want to make a quick trip. But honestly, if you're in the SoCal area I would suck it up and drive 6 hours north to Mammoth. You can stay in Bishop (1 hour south of Mammoth) at a motel for ~$70/night.

If you have the time Mammoth is worth the drive. They have a bunch of

highspeed quads and 3000 acres and all kinds of terrian.

Snow Summit in Big Bear is a local carver favorite, with a good variety of runs and good grooming.

Mt High west is crowded with people sliding sideways on snowboards.

Mt High east has one great long run but not much variety.

Ski Sunrise is now Mt High north and is just a tubing hill right now.

Baldy is barely open with one trail.

Waterman and Kratka/Snowcrest haven't been open for years(2002?).

George

Don't waste your time with Mountain High. Big Bear is an "ok" resort if you want to make a quick trip. But honestly, if you're in the SoCal area I would suck it up and drive 6 hours north to Mammoth. You can stay in Bishop (1 hour south of Mammoth) at a motel for ~$70/night.

Loc, you drive slow! Heheh. :) If the weather and traffic agrees, the trip to Mammoth is usually less than 5 hrs (300 miles, 70-75mph, make sure to slow for the small towns) and Bishop to Mammoth is 30-40 mins (39 miles).

If the weather is disagreeable, usually only the last 20 miles are affected, but that can turn into an extra 30-45 mins right there. From LA, the drive to Bear can often take 3+ hrs due to traffic, and if weather come to play, it gets quite a bit worse due to the winding twisting mountain roads. Mammoth is essentially a straight shot up the 14/395 so the drive is affected less.