Note to New Members ×

yyzcanuck knows his Chit

Bobby Buggs

About Thermoflex liners. I had a pair that got rips in the outer cloth from the sole screws. They were in good shape beside that and I wanted to remold them. The shop I went to said :nono: you cant because of the holes. I remember Dave saying you need to use some Aluminum tape on the holes and you should be all set. Well I was in the back room of the shop and saw what I thought was that tape. I asked "can we try it" and tech said sure, it worked perfectly and now they know how to save a set of liners.

Thanks Dave :biggthump

Don't you just love it when sales people/shop techs/CSRs/etc just make stuff up instead of saying, "hmm, I don't know, let me check"??

I asked a shop if they molded Thermoflex liners, because I wanted it done that day and I had never done it before. They said they did. Well, I get there and they have one of those hair-dryer type rigs that just heats the insides of the liners. Long story short, the results were painful. I ended up using yyz's instructions and doing it right myself.

Hey Jack,

I'm thinking about doing it myself too. This way I can wear them tomorrow. No sleep just mold boots and ride. But I would hate to kill them.

We going to see you at Sunapee this year?

Paul

Yeah, just follow YYZ's instructions TO A TEE and you'll be all set. Your first time takes a good hour and a half start to finish to do both boots. So don't start this at like 10pm and expect to get it right.

I'll be at Sunapee with the Boston PF Posse at least one Thursday, hopefully two. See ya!

Guys (and girls)... we haven't had any 'oops' with those instructions but just a word of caution. When you're cooking, pay attention to what happens to the liner. You'll see it start to grow and unfold... that means it's time to take them out of the oven. This may be 5 minutes, it may be 15 minutes. It really does depend upon temperature and to some extent even elevation (as in where you live in the world).

I'm not trying to scare you out of doing them at home but just be cautious. We now have a shop in the area that we send all our customers: Tom Kirk at KenMark Sports in Richmond Hill.

Check with Frank McConnell at Bob Skinner's at the MT Sunapee Traffic Circle.

Give em a call or just drop in. A call probably would be good courtesy though.

They are one of the best boot fiitting shops in the northeast let alone NH.

For twenty years I have seen folks come from NYC, CT, RI, and even NJ just for boot fitting at that shop. Frank and his boot techs attend all the latest fitting and training course for boot fitting every year. So they are always up to date on the latest techniques.

Foam, Flow, custom footbeds and orthotics, Whatever you need for your feet they can do it.

Just tell Frank that Chase sent you. We have been at the same mountains and known each other for 25 years.

Grandfather Wolf

why'd ya do em again if they were good already?

+1 to home-molding, more than once on multiple pairs for more than one person. all happy.

Addition of superfeet (didn't have any footbeds before), feet changed a bit over the summer. They fit awesome for the season, but then at the begining of this season they were off just a little bit. I guess I was getting my hopes up thinking I could improve the fit.

I don't really want to remold them this season since they're almost at the end of their life, but I might have to.

I'll be riding there (Sunapee) tomorrow I'll stop and see if I can make an appointment with Frank.I have heard a lot good about Skinners but I thought the guy that did their fitting left last year. Do you carve Sunapee? I thought I knew all the locals on hard boots.

Thanks,

Paul

I have been molding my own Thermoflex liners for a few years (with help from YYZ instructions and my own mod's) but I discovered the best part about T'flex is if you have kids, you can transition at least one foot size and extend the number of seasons that a boot fits. Softboot company 32 supplies all of their boots with Intuition T'flex liners as a standard package. I have had my twin daughters in the same boots for about 4 years now, remolding them each year (I'm a good dad but a cheap dad).

Fitting T'flex liners is child's play. Don't hesitate to do it yourself. Just remember the most important line in YYZ's directions - TURN OFF THE OVEN BEFORE PUTTING THE LINER IN TO HEAT!