Note to New Members ×

boardercross and angles in soft/hard setup

paappraiser

Just curiosity,

I dont know how many people have "boardercross" boards.

But I was wondering what angles do YOU use for boardercross boards and what degrees (cants as well) and are you running a soft/hard setup?

I ask because I now have 3 boards, regular freestyle, a race board (with plates) and a new boardercross board (with no bindings)

Just thinking as to what to screw on the top of this new BX board.

Thanks

Paappraiser

Guest Mike Ford

for BX I ride

- 160 coiler pure race

- 60 front, 57 rear

- 2 degree toe lift on the front

- 6 degree heel lift on the rear

- needless to say that is a hard boot set up

but really whatever you are most comfortable will probably work best for you

Guest Mike Ford

Actually in races that follow FIS rules they are not, neither are they in X-games. I don't know what series doesn't allow them to be honest, they weren't allowed in ISF, but does anyone run races by their rules anymore?

The ISF argument against them was theat they could hurt other riders, but falling on a corner wouldn't cause any more damage than falling on the razors on the side. It was more a thinly veiled softbood vs hardboot political game the ISF was playing.

Guest Mike Ford

USASA doesn't really surprise me since they did follow along with the old ISF rules, USCSA I don't really know.

I haven't done a USASA event in years, USCSA never. If they aren't allowing them, it's their loss.

I did my first BoarderX on a race board (Volkl RT GS 168) at a winter carnival at Bromley two weeks ago. They placed no restrictions on using race boards.

Anyhow, we had a few tabletop jumps. I negotiated the first couple okay and then found myself about 8 feet in the air running out of experience. Fortunately, the guy behind me didn't land on me but the resultant crash left my left forearm looking like Popeye's and the black and blue on the inside of the forearm makes the the faint of heart swoon. I'm 2 1/2 years from turning 60 - maybe boardercross isn't my sport....

I'm heading for Park City for the Nastar Nationals next week. Anyone else going?

Pat Moore

Heres some interesting BX news for you folks. Over the last 2 seasons I was working with Jasey on developing BX boards His ride ended up being a 182 with 160 running length and rounded off nose and tail, 18.5 wide with 16m sidecut. Superhuman for sure but it was working for him to a degree. The only concern was that in fresh snow, the board always lagged behind most others especially in gliding on the flats. We tried different bases and still no luck. Recently he had some tech help and they came to the conclusion it was not the base material but was the long narrow shape of the board. The shorter soft boot boards seem to glide better in fresh snow and flats. They apparently did a quite thorough job of eliminating the variables and that was the conclusion. Hate to say it but it looks like in those conditions the soft boards have the advantage. He figures he will have to ride both set ups depending on the course layout and snow conditions. Hmm, should I start making soft boot boards;)

From a size standpoint it would be close but it isn't wide enough to use the softboots. Reasoning being that since Jasey is so used to his hardboots at certain angles, he isn't too keen on going more sideways and still not have the ability to handle the really rough courses where the softboots can suck it up better. He used softies at the last event and got 5th. On another manufatureres board of course.

Is it a big deal to make a bit wider mold to make a wider board? It seems a shame to let Jasey ride someone elses board, and there are probably a bunch of riders out there that would like a wider Coiler for both BX and/or powder.

Good seeing you at ECES!

MT

PS - Good info - thanks for posting it.

Guest JohnSch

For the original poster, y ou don't say whether you want to race bx or to use the bx board for freeriding/freecarving. For bx itself, 27/9 is probably not a bad softboot starting point. Think about your intended use though, as well as how many days total you ride your freestyle setup and how much you would use the bx board. Also, what boots/bindings you have and their characteristics.

I've benefited a great deal from stance experimentation, but moving back and forth between dramatically different stances can be a good way to lose the feeling just when you're getting something grooved. Say, if you run 18/0 on the freestyle board, you could just try 18/6 on the bx or keep the 18/0.

In terms of people wanting to use a bx board for, in part, powder, one thing to think about is whether the shovel is going to be soft enough...not that you can't ride them, or say pipe boards, in soft snow, but in general you might have a lot more fun on something that is softer in the nose.

[...] powder, one thing to think about is whether the shovel is going to be soft enough...not that you can't ride them, or say pipe boards, in soft snow, but in general you might have a lot more fun on something that is softer in the nose.

IMHO for deep powder ya want a soft tail. The nose doesn't make that much difference to the ride: the tail's where the action is.

Guest JohnSch

Phil, YOu may be referring to overall board flex, i.e. Supermodel/Omen easier to decamber in deep light snow than say, a stiffer Johan just to use Burton boards as a reference point?

My point re: bx boards is a low, stiff shovel that doesn't extend or easily deflect will tend to dive, other things being equal. So for someone who wants a setup that does well in soft snow there are some performance compromise.