Note to New Members ×

Madd 170 vs Swoard?

Guest Hotmop

Guest Real Dalv

I thought it was a tool-vi.gif , not a boob. Well, it's fun to read.

Has anyone ever seen someone besides Patrice extremecarving on a Sword?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Real Dalv
Originally posted by Maciek

But I have to admit I tolerate Booby from old buddy CMC only;)

Who do you think is behind Dalv?:D

It used to be I. Time's changed. :(

but...why so condescending?

D-sub - Noooo not trying to smack down anyone. And Yesss thats me. Thanks for the props that board I am nose pressing is a 196 f2 Super G stick.

Just trying to pound in the fact that every one needs different gear. I own and ride a lot of boards with lots of flexes. Some are to stiff to ride anywhere but on bullet proof pitch. They are to stiff to ride any where else. They would be almost impossible to ride with out perfect weight movements at the right time also.

Some of the Custum-boardbuilder stuff out (donek. prior, coiler,etc) Is also out side the flex range of the normal 30 day a year rider. Some of it is very good as well if you are realistic about your riding with the board builder, or able to ride it. If you buy some of this race stock like the WC or PureRace or RC you better have you sh*t together. If not the board is going to rock your world and you are going to have a bad day.

Problem being a bad day is not what any hardboot brother wishes to another. The goal should be to develop skill on gear suited to your level, as easily as possible. This will make riding better for everone and only spread the hardboot turn.

We as speed cats like to think it is the tool that makes the job easy.

I can carve anything with edges that slides. Some are way better then others, however I think it is knowing how to ride anything nicely, Verses owning some thing that rides really nice.

John- sorry no video on digital media just yet. I am working on it.( First day on my new Compaq it will do al the goodies just working towards a cable line and I'm hip new hotness) We did just shoot some new shots today at PC they will be over at HardBooter.com some time tonight. I think we got some switch pictures at speed as well! I have never seen any switch photos of myself I am very excited. I was dragging my hands and some times chest on toesides and hiting my but heelside, I would really like to see what the weighting and centering looks like.

And finally to my new found friend trailer trash- You can bend your Prior just fine, Only problem is you have to go so damn fast to make it happen that it is hard to learn movement at 25mph things just happen to fast and with to little input to improve your riding.

Originally posted by D-Sub

thanks for the clarification, man!

maybe you could help me with some input as to that coiler Im thinkin about ordering:)

NOT getting a race model tho...just a FreeCarve...

If I may butt in...

The beauty of ordering a Coiler is that as long as you are honest about your abilities and goals, Bruce will build the board with a flex suited to you. I've got the "Pure Race" 184 and it's just so damned user-friendly. I'm certainly no Carve Master, I've got so much to learn, but I can turn this board really hard and make it bend. Yeah it's great for going fast on but it's also great for precisely what Bordy was talking about - learning things at 25 mph.

Originally posted by D-Sub

thing is...Ive never ridden with a ripper, never seen myself in a photo or video..so I have NO idea what my true level is!

You can describe your level in terms of what you feel comfortable doing, what you don't, and what makes you crap your pants! Think about how icy it has to get or how steep a run has to get before you can't carve. (When I order my Coiler last May I could keep my edge on ice only on a moderately wide green run and I could keep my edge on a steep trail only if it was hero snow AND wide). Describe what you're currently working on. When I've used descriptions like this in the past, experienced riders and board makers have understood where I am at much better than I did!

well, hows this?

I HATE ICE. hate it

BUT...last year..mammoth...ridin with headphones. couldnt hear jack ****. (I know, I know, not exactly safe)

I was riding just as hard as I normally do, on my old PJ...

until my gosh durn batteries wore out. Soon as I could _hear_ the ice I started sliding all over the place

wtf is THAT?

to me it means that I have the skills...but got psyched out.

anyway...I definitely dont want a board that is "beyond me" but I also am the type of person that wants to do things the right way. I am an analytical person who always strives for the best, so..I dont want a board Ill grow out of either

I truly appreciate these responses, and Im sure that bruce can help me out!

oh...btw...am I a kook if I hate trying to ride BUMPS?

:)

Bruce has a unique technique of being able to peel the topsheet off and lay down more biaxial to stiffen your board up. Break a few lams? no prob. he'll buzz it down and lay it up again. pretty cool.After talking to him at length at ECES I was sold on ordering a custom for my 235 pounds and style of power surfing the hill.I figger a Madd 170 for morning groomies and a Coiler All Mountain Freecarve 177 with a 21.5 waist for everything else.Nice and stiff. Bordy's got it right on. TRY many boards before you decide to buy. A custom board won't necessarily make up for lack of ability but it will get you there faster.And custom graphics are the TATS!I want a nice big steaming turd on the tail of my new Coiler right next to the coiler logo.Maybe some "boobs" up by the nose. Bronsky board, eh?

post-123-141842197171_thumb.jpg

Bordy- when you get some video footage up that would be great.

BTW- did you used to ride a Checker Pig G6 at Brighton about 12 years ago????

Things I would like to see on bomberonline.

Very cool if underneath your avatar you could click on a link to your video clips. That way when you are describing a movement to someone....they can actually see what you are talking about. Would be very cool if you could see the frames.....ie refer to frame number 45634 in a video sequence.

IMHO vert skateboarding took a giant leap forward when video footage became available- my hope is for the same with carving.

Also if you are trying to emulate someone's style it is a lot easier to have a video to follow that.

For instance I might want to choose a person to emulate who was about as flexible as I was, about the same weight and height and age.

Certainly we all have our own styles and develop out own riding techniques, but it is likely that someone who is a great rider and is 5'6" and weighs 210 might ride a lot like someone who is 5'7" and 220. Certainly a lot more like that than someone who weighs 155lbs.

same goes for riding similar gear.

I think we all log onto Bomberonline to become better riders and also help grow this sport and get the newer riders as good as possible as quick as possible...this particularly goes for the more experienced high level guys who are tired of riding steep bullet proof narrow terrain ALONE. The sooner we get everyone riding in a souped up posse' on a high level the better.

Being on the right gear always helps - if you've got 4 inches of fresh ontop of groomed hardpack- I say ride the Swoard! If its only 1 inch ride the 170.

IF the terrain is mellow and you want to EURO carve all day for the chicks on mellow terrain- the Swoard is the board. If Eurocarving suits your style- ride the Swoard. IF you have the unfortnate occassion of spending $70 on a lift ticket and find yourself on narrow trails in the East on Frozen granular don't get even....get Madd.

Ride what suits your mood and conditions and fitness level.

TRY many boards before you decide to buy.

problem is this is next to impossible where I live

I rode my PJ7 for a long time, always had fun, felt good, felt that the board held

rode the Killer Loop compGS 180 last time in mammoth, and noticed some difference, but still felt ok on it. Had to speed check a little more cuz the damn thing seemed to want to just go straight down the hill:)

so...trying is pretty much not an option

I was intrigued by this post so I sent a question off to Bruce and I thought it would be informative to post his reply on this.

->Ben

--- Bruce on----

Well the description is a bit beyond the reality of it . Since the boards are built without the top it really isn't an integral part of the structure.

I usually just peel them off to soften board up a bit if they are in need of a change. I can stiffen too after the fact by putting on the extra glass. I can actually take all the lamination off but it usually damages the wood core and is a real pain in the ass itchy procedure so I wouldn't even attempt it anymore! If the lamination on one of my boards is damaged, chances are the wood core is damaged from overflexing too so it isn't worth the effort. I also don't usually put biax on as it changes the torsional stiffness of the board. Just a bit of a unidirectional is used in most cases. Taking the tops off is hit and miss as some tend to stick too good and peel layers of glass off at the same time. To try and get them off without doing damage takes huge amounts of time. Others just peel off in one shot. It depends on the backing of the topsheet.

Since a Donek is made in one process with the topsheet on and the topsheet really isn't a topsheet as per the usual sense of the term, it would most likely be a more integral part of the board and not so happy ( more like

impossible) to get off.

--Bruce off---

Originally posted by willywhit

Bruce has a unique technique of being able to peel the topsheet off and lay down more biaxial to stiffen your board up. Break a few lams? no prob. he'll buzz it down and lay it up again. pretty cool.After talking to him at length at ECES I was sold on ordering a custom for my 235 pounds and style of power surfing the hill.I figger a Madd 170 for morning groomies and a Coiler All Mountain Freecarve 177 with a 21.5 waist for everything else.Nice and stiff. Bordy's got it right on. TRY many boards before you decide to buy. A custom board won't necessarily make up for lack of ability but it will get you there faster.And custom graphics are the TATS!I want a nice big steaming turd on the tail of my new Coiler right next to the coiler logo.Maybe some "boobs" up by the nose. Bronsky board, eh?

IF the terrain is mellow and you want to EURO carve all day for the chicks on mellow terrain- the Swoard is the board. If Eurocarving suits your style- ride the Swoard. IF you have the unfortnate occassion of spending $70 on a lift ticket and find yourself on narrow trails in the East on Frozen granular don't get even....get Madd.

I found that Euro/EC works best on very steep slopes, not on mellow terrain. Even on steep icy slope around here, it still works. Hard to lay it down completely on mellow terrain if you are trying to link those EC turns. I would agree that EC does impress the younger "chicks" (not my wife somehow !!).:D

Thanks McFly. The way bruce explained it to me was that the boards could be modified flex and stiffness wise after they'd been ridden. I'd only heard of this through a guy I used to ride with that said he'd sent his Prior back several times to be repaired. It makes sense now. Remember that Bruce has made boards for Jasey Jay and that kind of testing goes into the custom he'll build for you. Please clarify this as well because I got the information whilst in a state of ECES beer bliss. I wonder if HAN has ridden his world cup prize booty board from the raffle.

John,

Yessss I used to ride a pig G6 (still have it) but noooo not in utah at that time.

But at Temple Mountain in Peterbough, (89-90-91) Rember the monday night series you and da cats at underground put together many moons ago?

We have met and raced one another then. Also much later when you were beta testing Madds I was a Waterville guy(93-94-95). We and several others( Arvid Swanson, Billy Enos, Kildy, Dave Thimmal George Askavold) talked with you about board shape flex and sizes. My roomate and I begged for you to make something bigger then 180 for us. We were all riding Priors or Secert Teams at the time. Matter of fact I hid all my secert teams so you would not see them you know, young kid with Ideas of trade secerts. Ring any bells?

P.S. I like the don't get even get madd line!:D

Arvid Swanson, Billy Enos, Kildy

I remember Arvid riding a Prior with taper back in the day. I still see Bill out there. I'm terrible with names and faces and always ask that people introduce themselves to me at minimum 4 times to hope that the name and face will stick. I only remember Arvid since it sounded like "Harvard"- though I doubt I could place his face. Enos I've seen many times as I have Kildy. We never made any really huge decks because the 180 Madd was a lot of deck and rode like a 197- which I felt was too much for the average consumers ability at the time.

I always think its funny that when I see someone who has been carving for a long time and are at a high level now....about 10 years ago many were riding a G6 or a G5. Man those are squishy boards today....but I feel the missing link that newer carvers need to learn how to boss a board around as opposed to the other way around.

Remeber the Checker Pig Rep. Andy Hirstanapolous (Sp?) he stopped selling Pigs and sold Electroluxes. I bought my first Pig as a Demo for $150.

I'm sure the Swoard is way way way advanced over the G6 but I think people need boards like the Swoard in their quivers - especially to help in transitioning from soft booting to hardbooting. All quivers are better if they are bigger- gives the riders more options.

Those G6 graphics were funny though.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by John Gilmour

I think people need boards like the Swoard in their quivers - especially to help in transitioning from soft booting to hardbooting. All quivers are better if they are bigger- gives the riders more options.

Those G6 graphics were funny though.

John, what do you think about the all-mountain boards for this niche? I recently purchased a 169 Prior 4wd with a slightly softer layup than normal as my first alpine board. FWIW, I'm a pretty fit 170lbs(surfing & biking) and mostly ride on groomed runs with the occassional (and often ill advised) off-piste jaunt into the trees.

This upcoming weekend will be my first attempt at hardbooting. I'm expecting to eat a fair amount of schitt but no amount of expecting fully prepares for the pain of the reality...

Thomas

Originally posted by John Gilmour

Arvid Swanson, Billy Enos, Kildy

I remember Arvid riding a Prior with taper back in the day. I still see Bill out there. I'm terrible with names and faces and always ask that people introduce themselves to me at minimum 4 times to hope that the name and face will stick. I only remember Arvid since it sounded like "Harvard"- though I doubt I could place his face. Enos I've seen many times as I have Kildy. We never made any really huge decks because the 180 Madd was a lot of deck and rode like a 197- which I felt was too much for the average consumers ability at the time.

My uncle-in-law is acquaintances with these guys. I believe that Arvid is still a rep for Volkl. Enos is the head snowboard coach for BBTS at Waterville Valley. Both of my boards were purchased indirectly from these guys....a demo Volkl RT163 through Arvid and I picked up Enos's old Hot Blast at a local shop.

Since you mentioned large boards....a few years back I saw one of Anton Pogue's boards ~200-ish cm Super G for sale at a shop near Waterville Valley. The board was a mutant....I had never seen anything like it. In addition to the normal steel edges in their standard location (where the base meets the sidewall), there were two other strips of edges recessed in the base located about an inch in from the edge that spanned the entire running length of the board ....very peculiar. The board was enormous and stiffer than a 2" x 8". Did you (Madd) build this for him? How did it perform?

Guest justanotherdude

I must admit that I did not get beyond the first page of reading - got tired of reading individuals pontification of themselves.

Perhaps it started with "CarveMasterCurt"'s, scratch that - "ego master curt, or EMC for short, statement of:

swoard= static rider
Madd = agressive ripper

Nice capitalization. Nice ego from someone that only proclaims to ride runs that a snowcat can go up and 60 year old ladies from Iowa can go down. Gimme a break CMC. How cool you are. I bow down to your arrogance - not really; I laugh at it.

Look, different boards, different styles, different techniques. A Swoard (capital S ego master curt) and a race driven design board from the icy bunny hills of the east coast are designed to do different things.

What do you want to do? Do you want to lay down body carves on a groomed run or do you want to mimic the race style of narrow boards? Either way you are limiting your mindset to runs that a child can negociate.